Who diagnoses what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who diagnoses what?

I was recently diagnosed with IC after a cystoscope and months of unexplained bladder pain and urgency. I also have horrible tailbone pain that I've mentioned over and over to Urologist as well as gynecologist. They don't think it's bladder related. I disagree. Maybe pelvic floor disfunction? So my question is who refers you to a physical therapist? Do I go back to gyno, and ask for a referral? Also...I'm in PAIN! I feel silly asking for pain medication. Over the counter are not doing it. I'm afraid of taking too many NSAIDS --damaging stomach.

Asil
    Last edited by Asil0623; 05-06-2015, 12:46 AM.

Re: Who diagnoses what?

NSAIDS can also increase bladder pain. I can't take them. You can ask any one of your doctors to refer you for a physical therapy evaluation. You might want to ask one of your doctors about trying an antispasmodic to help with your pain --- just something to help with pain that isn't ibuprofen. Usually there's less hesitancy about ordering antispasmodics than there is with narcotics.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

If you have tailbone pain, I would ask your doctors about pudendal neuralgia. It can cause pain in the urethra, vagina, perineum, rectum, all the way up to the tailbone. Usually it is a shock-like pain, and not an ache. That said, PFD can cause pain in all of those areas, too, but it usually IS more of an ache or tightness as opposed to a shock or stab pain.

It usually depends on your insurance, who has to refer you to a physical therapist. With some insurance, you don't even need a referral, with others, it has to be your primary care doctor.

As for pain medicine, I'm afraid it's getting quite difficult to get narcotics, even for painful conditions like IC. The DEA is cracking down on doctors and limiting what they can do and how many times. I would suggest a medicine targeted to the bladder, like Uribel or Pyrdium (AZO is a weaker Pyridium that is available over the counter - just don't get the type with cranberry in it). If those are not giving you enough pain relief, then it's time to think about stronger drugs. Tramadol is usually a good compromise, because it is a synthetic opiate, meaning it isn't "officially" a narcotic according to the authorities - so doctors are more willing to prescribe it.

And honestly, it works better for my pain than even Percocet.
      Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

Thanks all. Luckily, I'm not in terrible pain everyday but yesterday was rough. Most days the Uribel does it but not yesterday!! My urologist called in a non narcotic pain medication today which should work fine. I need to be able to work, car pool and "operate heavy machinery". 😉

Comment

Which non narcotic pain med did your doctor prescribe you?

Originally posted by Asil0623 View Post
          Thanks all. Luckily, I'm not in terrible pain everyday but yesterday was rough. Most days the Uribel does it but not yesterday!! My urologist called in a non narcotic pain medication today which should work fine. I need to be able to work, car pool and "operate heavy machinery". ��

Comment

Toradol? I've never taken it.

Comment

Any of those doctors can make the referral to a PT... it's often the urologist or the OBGYN. If they do a quick pelvic, find tight muscles, that justifies the referral. The big question is the type of pain. If it's sharp, electrical pain than it could certainly be a compression of one of the nerves down there. I happen to have a partial compression on my left side so speak from experience. On the other hand, if the pain is more achy, burning.. then it may be pelvic floor tenderness.

Another question I ask is where is the pain?? Is it central to the rectum/tailbone?? Or is to to the side?? If it's to the side, that again focuses on, perhaps, pelvic floor tension or a trigger point on that specific side.

I feel you. I'm sitting here and my tooshie is aching from sitting all day!

Jill

PS... we have an awesome chair cushion that might make sitting easier. Donut cushions do not work. You need a cushion with a groove down the middle, like our bladder & prostate friendly chair cushion. Find it at: http://www.icnsales.com
              Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

I suggest physical theraphy and osteopathy, and Amy Stein book about healing the bladder. Useful ideas there

Comment

Thank you all! I'm looking into your suggestions!

Comment

Pretty much ditto to everything krist656 said! I was able to make an appointment with a pelvic floor physiotherapist directly without a referral from a doctor--but I did need a referral note from my doctor for my insurance to cover it. I'm still waiting for my appointment, but have high hopes. In the meantime, I'm seeing an osteopath, and he certainly considers the way everything is connected. Finally, I actually logged in right now because I've just started reading Amy Stein's book and remembered this thread, and thought, you must read it!! She talks about how everything is connected, the way a problem in one part of the pelvis can cause problems in other parts, and so on. So I'd recommend reading the book, and finding a real-life equivalent pelvic physiotherapist.

Comment

Thanks guys! Just downloaded the book!

Comment

I was given Toradol in an IV when I went to the hospital for pleurisy. It's one of the best medicines for inflammation.
                        Diagnosed with IC in 2005, since then have been diagnosed with an unspecified autoimmune disease, with inflammation in my bladder, colon, left knee, left ear, left eye, lungs and pericardium. Argh!

Medical research addict.

Comment

Toradol is a good anti-inflammatory, but it is a NSAID just like motrin/tylenol.

Comment

Tylenol is not considered an NSAID. It has no anti-inflammatory effects at all. Motrin is an NSAID though.

Originally posted by mangosink View Post
                            Toradol is a good anti-inflammatory, but it is a NSAID just like motrin/tylenol.

Comment

Originally posted by krist656 View Post
                              I suggest physical theraphy and osteopathy, and Amy Stein book about healing the bladder. Useful ideas there
                              I double this!You don't have to have pfd to gave tight muscles in pelvis and back that are causing problems in the bladder and pelvis

Comment

Working...
                              X