Costs of Cysto/Hydro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Costs of Cysto/Hydro

I know the range of costs will probably be enormous, but how much do these things typically run. My insurance should cover 80%, but I'm worried to death about paying my 20% on a college budget.
    "Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help alot. Wouldn't you like to get away?" Cheers everybody & Happy New Year!

Mine cost $1600 or so I believe. Insurance didn't cover it, so I went on a community fund with the hospital, where if you are qualified for it, they exponge the debt. That might be something to look into for that 20%.

Good luck!

Jess
    Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!

Comment

Jill,
      wish i could help my ins covered it hugs and good luck
      Brat
      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

My insurance covered 80% and I had to pay the remaining 250 dollars. I'm sure prices vary depending on the doctor and hospital but hope this helps some.

Success

Comment

Thanks guys. My doc's office was trying to tell me that MY SHARE (20%) was over $1100.00 up front. I thought that sounded ridiculous. I'm going to see if I can talk to someone else to find out what's going on.
          "Making your way in the world today takes everything you've got. Taking a break from all your worries sure would help alot. Wouldn't you like to get away?" Cheers everybody & Happy New Year!

Comment

Hi there!
            I'm so glad you're asking financial questions up front. When I was shocked by my bill, the hospital told me I could have asked them for an estimate up front. (They then call a uro for patient names with similar procedures & look up their bills to give you an idea-with the disclaimer of course that there may be complications).

Just for the record, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, one of the most expensive areas to live in the country..Don't know if that affects medical costs... (It sure does the housing market!)

My hospital charged $9,000.
            My urologist charged about $480. (Separate bill)
            The anesthesiologist charged $500.(Separate bill)
            There may be charges for pre-op lab tests too.
            *This was a "contract" hospital with my ins.co.

I have a PPO (80/20). I paid $1035 to hosp. $68 to anesthesiologist. I think $75 to urologist. (I'd already met my insurance deductible).

Most hospitals will let you pay in installments. Ask up front how much interest they will charge you. My hospital charged 8% of the total as a flat fee. It may be cheaper to get an advance on a credit card (mine had a special going at 1% interest- a much better deal than the hospital & I could get airline miles!!!)

Depending on your income and amount of medical expenses in the year, you may be able to write off your medical expenses on your taxes. (I keep a binder of all receipts. You can request a printout from your pharmacy for the year's prescriptions to avoid all the tiny papers).

Good luck to you. You're already smarter than I was! (But I'm still glad I had it done. I now have a diagnosis that doctors will take seriously and pictures to establish where we started treatment...)
            Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
            I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
            ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
            Source - Pinterest
            "

Current treatments:
            -IC diet
            -Elavil 50mg at night
            -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
            -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
            -Pyridium if needed,
            -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
            -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
            -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
            -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
            -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
            -Managing stress= VERY important!
            -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Working...
            X