Hydro/Cysto/Biopsy/IVP on monday!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydro/Cysto/Biopsy/IVP on monday!!!!

I have done quite a bit of reading on these procedures and feel well informed. These procedures are being done all at once (under sedation). In the office today as they were going through all of this, my brain kind of overheated. I am terrified of surgery, mostly because I had a terrible doctor who botched my leep procedure and gave me Advil for post-op pain. I am worried what level of discomfort I will have after the procedures. I didn't ask my Uro. if I would be given meds after ward, but now it's really making me nervous? Is it okay to call and ask? I have been through a painful recovery without anything before, and I would like to have the peace of mind to know if my needs will be met.

Thanks Guys,

~Punk~

Originally posted by punkewe View Post

I have done quite a bit of reading on these procedures and feel well informed. These procedures are being done all at once (under sedation). In the office today as they were going through all of this, my brain kind of overheated. I am terrified of surgery, mostly because I had a terrible doctor who botched my leep procedure and gave me Advil for post-op pain. I am worried what level of discomfort I will have after the procedures. I didn't ask my Uro. if I would be given meds after ward, but now it's really making me nervous? Is it okay to call and ask? I have been through a painful recovery without anything before, and I would like to have the peace of mind to know if my needs will be met.

Thanks Guys,

~Punk~
    Dear Punkewe,
    I had the procedure, or test, some call it done a couple of weeks ago. They did put me under full anaesthetic so I was asleep for the whole thing. The procedure only takes agout half hour, but I was there for about 5 hours.
    They never gave me any meds for pain post-op and I was sent home with a prescription for Voltaren, which is a really strong anti-inflammatory, which I can't take, by the way, because I also have IBS, and another antibiotic. I'm fed up with antibiotics and have started taking probiotics, have heard that they can often reverse the adverse effects of years of being almost overdosed by antibiotics. Wish me luck and good luck to you, too.
    LOL,
    Curlette
    Hugs,
    Curlette

Drugs I use now:
    HM Contin 12mg twice daily
    2 mg Dilaudid for breakthrough pain
    Temazepam for sleep
    CES orally

Drugs I have used in the past:
    Elmiron
    Elavil
    Gabapentin
    Vagifem
    Lomotil
    Ativan
    Buscopan
    Demerol
    Flexeril
    Way too many to list!!!!!

Medical History:
    Have had L4 laminectomy, L4,5 & S1 discectomies, cholecystectomy, appendectomy, gall bladder removed, nasal surgery for accute sinusitis, severe,endometriosis resulting in a total hysterectomy. Also diagnosed with IC, IBS, severe spinal stenosis, severe osteo-arthritis, I wear hearing aids in both ears due to an earlier "abusive marriage". I have Hepatitis C Type 1b, have had this for over 3 decades, this has affected my liver and immune system. Had a blood tranfusion when I was in the Middle East and we think that I got the Hep C at that time.They buy the "blood" there, and as it was so many years ago, they didn't even know the disease existed.I have lost over 60 lbs since my botched hysterectomy where they had to go in again and remove 4 feet of my colon where they had mistakenly stapled it through. I've shrunk from 5'9 to 5'6 because of the osteoporosis. When they first diagnosed me with IC, they found out that my bladder is only 40% the size of a normal bladder, which explains why I have to pee so often, even aside from the IC! I Have had two hydrodistentions, so far, but will need more on a regular basis. We all need to have faith that they will find a cure soon.
    I believe that if we can reduce our stress, learn better ways to cope, we may have a better chance of dealing with this!!!

Comment

After my cysto/hydro, which was done under full general anesthesia, I was given Dilaudid in the recovery room and Percocet to take at home. I think it is okay to call your doctor and ask what his normal protocol for this stuff is.
      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I had no pain from my cysto/hydro/biopsy (done under general anesthesia). I did have a bit of burning upon urination afterwards, however that only lasted for a brief period. I wasnt given anything for pain afterwards; I was given a 3 day supply of antibiotics.
        The procedure took 45 minutes, and I spent an hour in the recovery room. Once home I slept off the anesthesia, and was back to my normal self when I awoke.

It would be fine to ring your Dr's office to ask questions.

Wishing you an eventful surgery and recovery.
        Diana
        (\__/)
        (o.O )
        (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

A vague answer......

I called the uro office and talked to the office manager. She said that everyone experiences pain differently, and so she really couldn't tell me how uncomfortable i would be after the procedure. She said he "probably" would give me a prescription for pain afterwards. Not really the answer I was looking for. I am not on any prescription pain meds. I guess I just have to hope that he's an understanding compassionate MD.

~Punk~

Comment

I guess all doctors are different in what they do. I have had 3 done by 2 different doctors and both gave me pain meds in the OR and I was sent home with a script for Lortabs afterwards.

How long you stay sore/pain afterwards can vary from person to person. I did okay with the first 2 but got a UTI after the last so I was in pain for about a week with that one.

Good luck.
            God grant me the serinity to withstand the days ahead!!!

My myspace link...
            www.myspace.com/patricia_luvs_matt

Patricia

In Memory of My Father (Lawerence) 1/25/2007

Procedures:
            Interstim Sept 2001
            1st InterStim Removal May 2005
            2nd Interstim Implanted May 2005
            2nd InterStim Removed March 2007
            Hysterectomy 1999
            Tubes Tied 1997
            C-Section 1996

Me and my kids

Taylor (my daughter) Me and my daughter My son Cody and Taylor

Comment

I've had cysto/hydros before, usually take about 20-30 minutes but I'm there for about 5 hours- due to all the antibotics that they give me for my heart. I have a little pain, but not enough to do anything with, just a little discomfort. Mainly, its when I go to the bathroom. When I go home, I usually rest for the rest of the day and the next. Usually by that Monday I'm back at work.
              I have a hydro scheduled next Thursday morning. Wish me luck.

Comment

HI Punkewe;
                Dont ever be afraid to call and ask questions. If your doctor is not there to ask ask the nurse, and she/he can answer most of the questions for you.
                I had my 1st cystiscope done feb 06. I had no paid after words at all and was fine right after waking up. I have a hyadelhurnia, so they used a tube in my throat, that hurt more then anything else, hurt for days!
                I think unless you go in with a flare up, you will be just fine. One thing though, I did have a major flare up a few days after the surgery which lasted a few weeks. But after that, i didnt really have any real problems for several months.
                Dont worry, I am sure you will be just fine in the surgery. I was also given antibiotics, because of the procedure, to prevent an infection. But other then that I didnt have any other medicantions. Good Luck with your procedure. Its not as bad as you imagin it will be. Try not to worry to much Im sure you will come threw it with out much of a problem.
                take care
                stacy

Current Conditions:
                Endometriosis,1995
                IC,Feb 06
                IBS-C

Prenecious Anemia
                Stomach Ulcers
                Duodenitis
                Acid Reflux
                Low Blood Sugar
                Hypothyroid
                Migrains

Surgeries
                Laporoscopy-1995
                Gaul Bladder-1996
                Laporoscopy-2005
                colonoscopy2005
                cysto/hydro-2006
                cysto/hydro-2007

endoscope-2007

Meds:
                Elmiron,100mg 2am 2pm
                Seasonique,1 night(helps control pain for Endo)Provera, 10mg 1 night
                Elavil, 150 1pm
                Flexeril, 10mg 1 night(was to be 1 am also but makes me to sleepy)
                Prilosec,20mg 1am 1pm
                Zoloft,100mg 1 pm
                Topamax 25mg 1am 2pmCyannobalamin(b12), 1 injection every 2 weeks
                Reglan, 10mg, 1 3xday with meals-for duonditis
                Ultram 50mg 1 every 4hrs as needed for pain
                Pyridim,100mg as needed
                Vicodin 5/500 as needed for pain
                Heating pad
                Ice Pack
                Arthritis Pain Equate brand 650mg usualy 2 at a time
                Stool softeners w/stimuli, 2am 2pm[/COLOR]

Hopefuly no more gets added to the list!!!

I wish the best for all of you and hope the days with pain are few. I wish you peace and calmness... for we all need it, with out it... the pain is worse.
                Try to take the best care of you that you can. When you are not happy with the care you get dont hesitate to get the help you need. Sometimes a 2nd opinion can give the calm and peace which you are seeking.
                My prays go to all of you. For I know there are many who are have many bad days and need a shoulder.. Always remember this site, for its made a huge differance to me and many people. Here you can find the the ear your looking for when you just need to vent.
                When your not looking for Im so sorry and I have no idea what can help you. Here we understand the pains the suffereing and most of all the Constant frustration. For anyone who needs it.. I will do my best to be the ear who can listen and help how ever I can. All my best to all of you.
                Dont forget to take care of you!
                Take care

Comment

Honestly, I would definitely ask. I, personally, wouldn't agree to having a procedure like this unless I was promised to have a small prescription of pain medication to get me through the recovery period. To go home without medication and think about potentially being up all night makes no sense to me personally. So, in my humble opinion, I say ask for some.. You don't need a lot... just enough to use, as needed, for a few days afterwards.

Jill
                  Would you like to talk with someone about your IC struggles? The ICN now offers personal coaching sessions that include myself, Julie Beyer RD on the diet and Dr. Heather Howard on Sexuality. http://www.icnsales.com/icn-personal-coaching/

Looking for books, magazines & reports on IC? Please visit the ICN Shop at: http://www.icnsales.com: Your ICN subscription & purchases in our shop support these message boards, chats and special events. BECOME AN ICN ANGEL TODAY!

Please remember that the information on the ICN is provided with the understanding that ICN, its founder, staff, volunteers, and participants are not engaged in rendering medical or professional medical services. We cannot and do not give medical advice. Only your personal physician can do this for you.

Comment

Hydro next Wednesday

I just had my pretesting for a hydro and urethal dialation that I am having next Wednesday. They gave me prescriptions for percocet, motrin, colace and cipro. They want me to have them filled now so I will have them ready after the procedure. They said I may not need the pain meds, but that it was better to have them just in case. You are having a lot done at one time. I would make sure your doctor knows of your concern and is ready to treat your pain, if you have any. Some doctors are under the impression that if you don't ask for pain meds that you don't need or want them, they would never think to offer, even just in case. (My post op instructions actually say that I should not be afraid of becoming addicted to the pain meds because I will only be on them for a short time) The peace of mind is worth the phone call. I hope all goes well with your procedures.
                    I was born with one ureta not attached to it's kidney, I've been poked and prodded for so long. I never had "private" parts. I had constant infections and took low dose preventive antibiotics into my teens.

DX with IC July 1993 after seeing 3 different Uro's and finally switching Primary care doctors and affiliated hospitals.

I have 2 beautiful daughters, the oldest has been in heaven since she was 14 when she was hit by a car The youngest is 20 now. She has had one UTI. She went into complete panic that she would end up like me. Now she has some idea of what the pain is like. Poor kid has been forced to know where every bathroom in Disney World is.

Comment

I would definitely ask any questions you have now while they are fresh in your mind. DOnt wait until the day of the procedure, you might forget what to ask just from all the nervousesness and tension. I would tell him upfront that you want some pain medication just incase you need it. If he is any good of a doctor he should have no problem prescribing you something.
                      Jen

Comment

Got an answer.....

Talked to a nurse in the office this morning. She said that it would not be a problem to give me a script for some pain meds after the procedure. One less thing to stress about. Thanks for all your input!

~Punk~

Comment

Hi, Punk (cute name! ) I'm so glad that they are being reasonable and agreeing to meet your needs for pain relief after the procedure!

I've had three cystos/hydros (one with biopsies) and all of them went just fine for me, I didn't need any pain meds besides pyridium (that stuff that turns your urine orange) but each person is really different in what "type" of IC they have and how they respond to a cysto/hydro.

But it sounds like your doctor will do everything he can to make sure you feel absolutely no discomfort either during the procedure, or afterwards!

I hope this procedure will give you relief from your symptoms for a good long time, and also that it will provide answers which will help your doctor know what to prescribe to bring you relief long-term as well.

Blessings,
                          Lori

Comment

hi Punk,

when you saying IVP , do you mean Intravenous Pyelogram ? the one with alot of x-ray in sequence seeing your function of kidneys with the dye?
                            I had on in falll and curiouus about being under sedation and in o.r. for it?? Will they keep you in the o.r. or take you to an ex-ray room for that parrt?
                            I usually tolorate tests well,surgical and other wise, but that is one i won't do again.
                            One thing it did teach me though is with my OH (orthostatic hypotension) i can not fast and cleanse like that without i,v, to keep me hydrated.
                            I wish you well and there should be no reason you could not have a script for pain afteer.

Comment

not really sure about the IVP......

all of the procedures that I am having are going to be done in one day. not sure which will be under sedation, i am assuming the more invasive ones. It's going to be quite an eventful day, however!

~Punk~

Comment

Working...
                              X