No announcement yet.

Question about recovery time after procedures

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question about recovery time after procedures

    On Monday, I am having my cyst/hydro/biopsy and IVP. My husband will be with me that day but must return to work on tuesday. I have a five and two year old and I'm concerned as to how I will feel with my regular routine. I really don't have family that can help me during the day, while hubby is at work, and my 2yr old (like most) is a HANDFUL! Just like to hear some fedback from other stay at home moms who've been through this before, and how they dealt with it. There is always the option of having my mom come give me a hand, but she is a couple hours away, and already busy with my nephew whom she has temp. custody of, I hate to ask her.


  • #2
    I have had a few hydro's done not all the other stuff you are also having done, so I can only speak from my experience w/ a regular hydro. I also have little ones (4,6 & 9)...I can tell you the first day back I was no good to anyone, just laid in bed & slept. 2nd day I was up & moving, but definitely not fully capable of taking care of the kids...I would say by day 4 I was back to normal again. GOOD LUCK to you!!
    Currently Taking:
    20 mg Celexa
    fentanyl patch 12.5 mcg chgd every 3 days
    morphine IR 15 MG, up to 3x daily
    Xanax 1mg as needed (not taken daily)
    900 MG Oxycarbizine (mood disorder)
    300 MG Welbutrin
    Tizanidine 4 mg up to 20 mg daily as need
    Prevacid 30 mg
    Ambien as needed

    my heating pad is my best friend, use daily on my lower back & pelvic area
    blessed to be able to receive massage & Amma , along with Avazzia therapy 3x weekly

    Been diagnosed for 10 years now, consider myself pretty well versed in this disease & would love to help out with new IC sisters or brothers, feel free to message me.


    • #3
      I'm probably no help either! as my kids are all grown. Usually the first day, I'm no use to anyone. The 2nd day, I can get up and move around. Usually by day 4, I'm back in the office. I hope this helps at least a little.


      • #4
        After my hydro, it burned to pee for a little bit, and I bled for about 24 hours, but each time I went to the bathroom the bleeding was less and less.

        I probably would have been almost fine after 24 hours, but because I have fibromyalgia (they think; no one knows why this happens), I got postoperative myalgia (which is whole-body soreness from a drug they use during general anesthesia) so the next day I was useless and just lay there in bed.

        However, the third day I was up and moving, and even ventured out for a quick trip to the grocery store with hubby.

        Everyone is different with recovery times; it's hard to predict what yours will be. Is there anyone you can call to see if they could help with the kids in the event you do not feel well the next day?

        *Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

        **I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.


        • #5
          With me, my kids were older too. I was totally out of it. My husband was going to stay home with me, but since my sons were older he decided that they would be responsible enough. I remember waking up one time and saw a note on my bedside table that had a cell phone number which I didn't recognize that said if I needed anything to call. I called it and it was one of my son's friends. He put Justin on the phone and told me that I gave him permission for one of his friends (that was son was 15) to use my car, I gave him money ($100 dollar bill) so they could go get something to eat and go to the movies). My husband was ready to "rip him a new one". My son said that I told him that I was fine and told him to get me my purse. My husband said do you realize that your mother is drugged up. Teenagers just don't think. Of course when I read my post op instructions, it did say that I should have adult supervision. So, my husband had some fault there too!

          I hope that you will be able to have a friend or family member with you.

          Good luck to you!


          • #6
            I had a cysto with Botox injections last Thursday and I am still very weak. I have been out a few times to run errands but get very tired and have to come back and rest. Fortunately my children are grown and my husband's office is at our house, so he takes good care of me. I think the anesthesia affects me more than anything as I have not had much pain - just soreness.
            I tried to go back to work on the 5th day after surgery and that was a big mistake. Good luck to you. You will be in my prayers.
            Judi W.


            • #7
              Newly Diagnosed


              I am newly diagnosed with IC, but I think that I have had it for a few years. I had the hydrodistention test done. It was pretty uncomfortable and I found the whole experience embarrassing. My husband drove me there and stayed in the waiting room. I was a little stiff afterwards and uncomfortable, it killed to urinate the first time once the lydocaine had worn off. I go weekly to Yale to get the bladder instillations, it is Heparin and some other stuff, it burns. I am very discouraged. It doesn't seem to be working, it almost seems worse. I also take Elmiron and Sanctura. I've been having trouble staying on the diet and I am having more flares. I am starting a new job on Monday and I am worried, I didn't say anything to them about the IC because I thought it might ruin my chance for the job. Right now, I feel pretty isolated and I haven't gotten a very good response from the few people I have confided in. They just don't understand. My husband doesn't seem to understand either.


              • #8
                What kind of instillations are you having What besides heparin? I am not able to handle any type of instills since they always sent me into a flare. I would definitely let the doctor know that you are having the burning. I also was given Sanctura a couple of years ago to help with my overactive bladder. One of the side effects is retention in some people. I couldn't use Detrol, Ditropan, or Sanctura at all. You will find that some meds that work for some of us, don't work on others. That is the nature of IC. That is why it is so important to educate yourself as much as possible and or course everyone on this site will be glad to help and be supportive!

                Try reading some of the books suggested on this site. There is help in the books on dealing with family and friends as well as suggestions on different kinds of meds. It takes Elmiron a few months in most cases to start showing any effects. There are going to be people that won't understand, so don't use your energy on those people. I made that mistake and would normally find myself in the defense mode and would take it so personally, especially when it was family.

                I took my husband with me to my first few appointments so that he could hear from the doctor for himself. He also seemed to be my advocate as well so many times when I would be upset and discouraged about my treatments not working.

                My suggestion with work is try to get as much rest as you can and have some relaxtion techniques like deep breathing helps me when I am doing something new and stressful. Also wear something that you love and feel comfortable in (not pajamas, that is where my mind went straight to!) and you will do great!

                Happy thoughts to you!