Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary124
    replied
    I have gone to the ER 3 times but not for my IC, one time it was for breathing problems -- this was when I was actually dx with an Aortic Aneurysm and the doctor there told me I had heart burn!! and gave me a prescription for it (don't know the name of it now, because I didn't fill it-- I mean all he had to do was look at my chart since I was at the hospital where I had all of my test done!) needless to say a couple of days later I had my surgery on my heart.

Leave a comment:

• jensue973
    replied
    Everytime I go to the emergency room cause of my IC basically all they will do is give you a pain killer or perhaps a shot to take the edge off the pain, otherwise all they do is tell you to see your doctor...I would call your doctor before going to the emergency room

Jennifer

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Berkshire Road View Post
    Wow, Amy, that is such a good idea. I never even thought of getting the doctor to contact the ER and leave a standing order. I am like you now, I have rescue instills available at home and good pain meds, so I hope NOT to be in the ER any time soon, but I will remember to pass that advice along. You are SO smart!
    Thank you, but I cant take the credit for this one. It all belongs to my wonderful Dr. When I told him how they dont even know what IC is, let alone what to do for a bad flare, (or how painful they are), he told me he could leave the orders for me there for an instill, and for a pain shot (if the instill didnt calm down my flare.) It never would have occured to me either to have him leave instructions, had he not told me he would. (The only thing is I have to have new orders sent over by him every few months, which I write on the calender so I dont forget.) But, it has really been a lifesaver when I needed it. I hope it helps someone else out there too.

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• stacyY
    replied
    When i went in for a major flare up, and i couldnt even walk without haveing spasums and i was just crying so hard cos of the pain, my mom took me to the ER.
    I told them I had IC, and Endo. I wasnt sure what one is in a flare up but was in so much pain. they gave me a shot for the pain. BUt then they said they have to make sure its not something else. THey did urine test, which i told them it will look like an infection cos of the IC. then they did a CTscan.
    In the end they tell me i had a cyst on my overy, which i knew i had for years, and I needed to see my obgyn. and that i had a UTI.
    I was in so much pain, and it was thanksgiving weekend. Then i call my ob/gyn she though it was kiddney stones, which the CT scan would have shown if it was. and she said i had that cyst and its not the pain sorce.
    THen i call my family doctor,they did another urine test, and i had a bladder infection. and htey had to give me antibiotic.
    So, The ER help take away the pain forthe moment but that was all, they didnt listen to me about the IC.
    take care
    stacy

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Wow, Amy, that is such a good idea. I never even thought of getting the doctor to contact the ER and leave a standing order. I am like you now, I have rescue instills available at home and good pain meds, so I hope NOT to be in the ER any time soon, but I will remember to pass that advice along. You are SO smart!

Leave a comment:

• ihurttoo
    replied
    Before I had the rescue instills at home, my Dr. left standing orders for me at our "fast track" section of the ER. Then, when I was in a bad flare, they would do a urinalysis and if no infection was present, they'd give me a rescue instill and shot of pain meds.

Sometimes, they would do a shot of Torodol or something, or occasionally some other pain med. But, for the most part, they would not, before my Dr. had left the standing orders for me there.

Before I had my Dr. leave those orders at the hospital, when I would go in, they would simply test my urine, tell me their was no infection, and then send me home telling me to see my Dr. tomorrow. It took raising you know what with my Dr. about my "care" at the ER, to get him to leave standing orders for me.

But, even at the "Fast Track" of the ER, people frequently have to wait 4-7 hours to be seen! It is insane! I have to be half-dead before I would go to the ER now. But, fortunately, I have the instills that I can do at home now, and also pain meds at home now. I HATE the ER!

But, from what I have heard, it really does vary from one ER to another. I have heard that some have had terrible care, and some have had great care. For me, (before my Drs. orders were left there), it varied alot depending on what ER Dr. was on duty. There was one that would just test my urine and send me packing and would not do an instill even with me bawling and doubled over in pain. It was terrible.

After that, my Dr. gave me his cell phone number to call him if I ever had anything like that happen again. (He is a wonderful man who truly cares about his patients.)

I hope if you need to go, that you get quick, knowledgable and compassionate care at your ER.

Hugs,
    Amy

Leave a comment:

• verdicries
    replied
    Like everyone else says, it depends on the ER...however, the 2-3 times I've gone they were NO help other than cathing me...didn't even give me PAIN MEDS (although I'm allergic/highly sensitive to nearly everything ).

I basically want nothing to do with my local ER. When I discovered my hiatal hernia, they said it was just acid reflux and gave me Maalox (YES, just Maalox )...never mind that I had been vomiting bile for 3 weeks and the pain felt like a heart attack! I went to another ER and they actually ran TESTS (made me swallow barium...ick. I threw most of it up!) and gave me serious meds. They sent me to a gastroenterologist who scoped me and found the hernia.

Anyway that's my $.02 on ERs. Everywhere is different however; there ARE good ERs out there!

Leave a comment:

• MerryBerryMoose
    replied
    When I used to the ER (about 9 months ago was my last visit) this would be my process:

1. Check in--lady would take vital ect.
    2. If I was in enough pain (and tears) they would send me right back.
    3. More vitals.
    4. I would explain IC to the nurse, get and IV going and get some sort of pain meds.
    5. The doctor would come in about 20 minutes later, "encourage" me to pee in a cup so they could dip test me.
    6. Keep me for about 12 hours to monitor my pain and wait for the urine culture.

On one occassion, I was ment by my uro's physician assistant in the ER and he admitted me for a day and a half to get my pain under control and to clear up a UTI w/ IV antibiotics(and there I was thinking it was a flare).

I have had more positive experiences with my local ER and my age probably had something to do with it (was 15/16). Most of the people felt sorry for me (which anyoed the heck outta me). Oddly nobody in the ER ever questioned my pain (just my uros...how ironic?).

Leave a comment:

• smcclafferty
    replied
    I know, that's what I'm afraid of, getting no help...

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I don't bother going because I got no real help the one time I went. *sigh*

Leave a comment:

• waterflow
    replied
    Each time i have gone no help. They want to do all sorts of tests to. Made them mad one time because I said no. It was my bladder and nothing else wrong. They sent me home with what was supposed to be a pain pill. After taking it no help at all. Went back a week later to Uro's and he told me it wasn't for pain. It was an antiobotic which I didn't even have a UTI. I don't have to much faith in ER's anymore.

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    It depends on the ER like Donna said, I found that out by a friend of mine. I was in so much pain one day, but I stayed home in bed all weekend long and called the doctor on the following Monday, when he asked me why I didn't go to the ER I told him that they probably wouldn't know and he said if I went to the hospital behind his office that they would of, but if I went to the one by my house, no or any other one for that matter. So now I know which one to go to if this happens again.

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    I have gone to the ER for IC pain and they have given me some pain meds. Not all of the ER doctors know about IC, but the ones that do always say, "I hear that is very painful." Well, Yep!!

Leave a comment:

• smcclafferty
    replied
    Yes, I figured they would probably just give you pain relieving drugs. I was more or less wondering if they would do a so-called "rescue instillation", since I do not have these available at home, as some people on the board do.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    It depends on the ER. Most ER docs are not really trained in treating IC, but many will help with getting pain under control --- and if you have an infection, they will treat that. If you can't urinate, they will order a catheter; and if you wish, they will usually telephone your uro for instructions --- and sometimes arrange for you to have an early appointment with your urologist.

If you're in severe pain, it's worthwhile to go.

Donna

Leave a comment:

Working...
X