This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found out I had pelvic exams done without my consent

I just got a copy of my surgical report, and read it. Turns out during the last hydrodistention/cystoscopy I had a pelvic exam was done on me while I was knocked out.

I was not told ahead of time that this would happen (nor told after the fact - I only learned by reading the surgical report) and I was not given a chance to give informed consent.

It's common for teaching hospitals to allow med students to practice pelvic exams on female patients - as soon as a woman is asleep, teaching hospitals bring in hordes of young medical students (usually male) to perform pelvic exams. Sometimes up to six or seven at a time. In my case, only two medical students were in the OR observing/participating, but that's still two more than I ever consented to. And I never consented to, nor was told about, the pelvic exam(s). There's no problem if the patient is told ahead of time, or if consent is granted - but it's assault if the patient is not told and given a choice.

I really feel violated.

I did not need a pelvic exam at all - it was only for training purposes. They should have ASKED me for my consent.

I really feel my trust was violated.

I'm really upset about this.

Ladies, make sure you know what your doctor or other people, are going to do to you while you are knocked out. Don't just assume they are not going to violate your trust.

I'm honestly considering filing charges or reporting my doctor to someone or something. I don't really know what to do, but it seems so wrong to me.

Blessings,
    Lori
    P.S. Turns out I'm hypothyroid, I go see an endocrinologist on Wednesday. I have not been feeling well lately, either physically or emotionally. So I haven't been around.
    Last edited by ICLori; 04-10-2007, 09:53 AM.

Sorry to hear this Lori, and yes it does happen and it is wrong. I have learned to make them hand write it on my consents NO MEDICAL STUDENT OR RESIDENT PARTICIPATION. THis way if it is done while I am not alert I have something to fall back on especially at a teaching hospital.

Comment

Hey Lori...
      I have noticed you have not been around, we have been missing you..
      Boy I would be ticked off if a doctor did that to me without my consent.. I would find out his reason and if the reason was not good enough then I would file a complaint on him..Thats just not right!...

Well I hope you feel better soon......I will be praying for you
      Hugs
      Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
      http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
      Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
      Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
      Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
      Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I would feel violated too. I can't believe that they could get away with doing that without your consent. My doc has always asked my permission to have a student present for anything. I would definetly let them, or someone know that they were out of line. ((hugs))
        Leah

Comment

Lori,

OMG! I had a gutteral feeling just reading the title of your thread, and waves of nausea swept over me while I read your post. I cannot IMAGINE anyone thinking this is okay! I would feel exactly as you do. I am so enraged it is difficult to type right now. I am so sorry this happened to you.

Please talk to the Patient advocate at the hosptial about this as well as the Administrator. I have also been treated at teaching hosptials a few times out of town, but they always asked my consent to have others present. I would definately feel violated too. This is not right!

Like the others, I have also missed you here. I hope that you start feeling better. I wish to goodness that I knew something to say to you right now that was comforting, but I am honestly in such shock that I cant get past that right now.

You will certainly be in my thoughts...(I doubt I will be able to think of little else for several days, after reading this!) But, I will also keep you in my prayers.

Hugs,
          Amy

Comment

omg this is just so very wrong. Is this even legal? I mean if they did not have written approcval, to me it is unlawful. please check into this. and keep us posted ((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))
            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Violated

I agree

2 thoughts

When my house was broken into "they" went through everything …my dresser and closet. I had to take a day off from work to wash my clothes, sheets and anything that I could tell was touched. I felt personally violated and I wasn't even touched. I have no idea what you are feeling, but it has to be worse.

The other thought is... I really really think it needs to be made perfectly clear to what you consent.

BUT at the same time, my daughter is a respiratory therapy student and she does need training in several procedures (tubing, blood gases 2 that I can think of ). I would definitely want people to have good exposure to correct methods and practice before they are in an emergency situation...which these would be.

BUT a pelvic??? I don't think so.

Someome would be hearing from me. And I know that MD would have seen the last of me and any one I had anything to do with!!
              TREATMENT: PRN lidocaine/heparin Home Instillations since 2004
              My Helpful Hints for Home Instillation: http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...985#post309985

Institute of Female Pelvic Medicine (J. Dell, My MD) http://www.mypelvicmedicine.com/index.asp
              Thank you for allowing me to share my experiences and offer support. Your physician is the only one to give you medical advice. I hope sharing the information from this site will help you and your physician develop successful management of your IC.
              I post to encourage and offer total support for rescue instillations.
              Find me on facebook: L. Clark Thomas
              Louann

Comment

I would talk to a lawyer about this. They do not have the right to do that without your permission. Did you read the fine print on any papers you signed before having the proceder done? I went in for my first hydro thing and the woman told me it was just permission for them to do the procedure. I read the whole thing and it had where the doctor had MY permission to have learning doctors in the room to do whatever they wanted to. I told the woman that and she seemed surprised. Like maybe I found out about it. I told her no way did I want anyone else in the room that was not supposed to be. I circled it and wrote no on the form. She also called where ever in the hospital it was supposed to be done too to tell them I said no. That is very very wrong what they did to you and I don't blame you for feeling violated. It's pretty sad really when you can't even trust the doctor who is suppose to be looking out for you.

Comment

That's terrible Lori! I hate to hear they did that. Like you needed one more reason not to trust your doctors, right?

I've missed seeing you on the boards. Hope you feel better in every way soon.
                  hugs,
                  Janie

Comment

That is horrific and illegal. I would definitely file a complaint with the police department and the hospital administrator and also consult with a lawyer. That is a violation of your rights! I find it upsetting that things like this are occuring and it makes me personally very distrustful of doctors. Carefully indicating that you do not want treatment by students is a good idea (one that my mom has always insisted on) but that is in the past.

Pelvic exams have NOTHING to do with a cysto/hydro. It is NOT JUSTIFIED. If a student performed the cysto, under your uro's supervision, then they might still be legally protected but they did a procedure that you did not medically need or consent to. This is completely unacceptable!

I cannot imagine what you're going through.
                    current meds:
                    cytotec 200mcg twice daily
                    toprol
                    allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
                    dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
                    dx: endometriosis 2003
                    dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
                    elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
                    elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
                    a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

Thanks so much everyone. Thank you all for understanding. I just feel sick. I can't explain it. It just brings up the old feelings I used to have when I got raped as a child.

I found a good site about how we can protect ourselves from this:

http://www.shamexam.org/tips.htm

It even has a form you can sign and put in your medical records that says you don't consent to med students doing pelvics on you without your consent when you are under anesthesia.

Blessings,
                      Lori

Comment

Your dr. needs to be fired! Check the fine print to see if they can get away with it.
                        past meds:
                        elmiron 100mg 3 x a day
                        cystoprotek 6 a day
                        elavil 10 mg
                        Femcon fe
                        non-shellfish vegetarian glucosamine HCL
                        750mg once a day

Comment

you know, I just thought...... that pelvic exams can often trigger IC flares... and since you are diagnosed as having IC... they were actually doing something that could be counterproductive to your recovery... which goes against "first do no harm"
                          current meds:
                          cytotec 200mcg twice daily
                          toprol
                          allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
                          dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
                          dx: endometriosis 2003
                          dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
                          elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
                          elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
                          a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

wow, this is so beyond horrible, i dont even have words for it.

Get copies of all the forms that you signed.

sheesh, unbelievable, and im so so sorry you have to deal with this.

When i got my operative report I saw that my uro didnt do the procedure, and my bladder bled afterwards...i even asked the fellow if the head uro did it and he said yes.

I actually tried to get the uro to give mea pelvic exam while i was under because it hurts so much for me to have one while awake, and they wouldnt do it.

I dont think many Dr want to stick their necks on the line doing pelvics while you are out cold, atleast that is the impression i get. So, i think what happend to you has to be some kind of violation, it just has to be.

something like this should NOT be listed in the fine print, it should have its own box thats says , 'yes please give my consent to allow pelvic exams etc"

Lyme disease diagnosed 11/05
                            vulvar vestibulitis diagnosed 2/06 -worst case she has ever seen..very bad.
                            IC diagnosed with hydro/cysto- may 17, 2006

Over growth of lactobicilli found 8/07 treating with doxy.

Was able to get my first internal exam evaluation for PFD....wohoo 1/18/07:woohoo:

8/22/07- was able to get my first speculum exam, with pap

Strep D found in bladder with United medical labs May 2006
                            2 strains of strep in stool culture 9/06
                            high Strep ASO titre found 10/06

NEW MED

Capsasin cream-once a day for 20min,
                            BUt wont lie it does burn

About to start valium supositories for PFD

Trigger point injections- oct 07

Current meds:
                            Neurontin- 100mg at night supposed to work up to 300mg if i can tolerate it
                            Zanaflex 2mg
                            IC and low oxalate diet, no sugar diet
                            Xanax for appointments to help relax me since they cause so much pain

Started PT 3/07, PT has really helped me in ways I never knew that it would

Meds ive tried
                            Lyrica
                            Klonopin
                            Singulair
                            Claritin
                            Pyridium
                            Soma- can barely tolerate half a pill
                            Atropine cream- didnt seem to work, although i found out I was applying the creams wrong
                            Estradiol cream
                            Urelle- caused worse bladder spasm and retention

Various antibiotics for lyme which caused yeast and made the IC and VV worse

waiting for the next chronic illness to pop up

"Did you know?
                            Every 15 seconds,
                            a person is
                            diagnosed with
                            interstitial cystitis."
                            Source: J. Dimitrakov, MD

Comment

HI! The first thing I thought as I read your post is that I'll bet you had major flares after those exams!! OMG! This is SO wrong! PLEASE let us know what you find out when you look into this....we all need to do what Dancemom said and write "NO STUDENTS" on those consent forms!
                              I can understand that students need to practice on procedures.....but they need to get permission from everyone first to have it done.
                              I'm SO sorry you had to go through this dreadful ordeal! ((HUG)) Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
                              Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
                              Dx'd Hypothyroid
                              Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
                              June 2007
                              Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
                              First Cysto 1979
                              First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
                              Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
                              Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
                              Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
                              Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
                              Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
                              Bladder surgery 2000
                              Dx'd: IBS 2000
                              Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
                              Laminectomy 1989
                              Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
                              I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Working...
                              X