X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tracyscherer
    replied
    Originally posted by Charisse View Post
    The thing is I had no idea I was even getting a hydrodistention. I thought it was only a cystoscopy before I went under. If I had known I probably would have told my dr not to do it but I am glad that it's done now.
    I did not now either that I was getting a Hydro. but I will own the mans house someday!

Leave a comment:

• Charisse
    replied
    I am glad I had the hydro because I needed it to confirm my IC and the pain I was feeling. I woke up having to pee super bad and it was like razor blades that first day everytime I urinated. After that the pain was no worse than any other day. I think as long as you are prepared to have some discomfort that it is not as bad. I had an in-office PST that was way more uncomfortable probably due to my tensing up so bad from the pain. I was also very scared of a hydro after what I'd read on these boards. The thing is I had no idea I was even getting a hydrodistention. I thought it was only a cystoscopy before I went under. If I had known I probably would have told my dr not to do it but I am glad that it's done now.

Leave a comment:

• DIANA MARY
    replied
    Hello everyone!

I had a CMG (under light sedation because I'm such a wimp) then my Urologist did a cysto/hydro. Everything is perfectly normal...no signs of IC or PFD. He did send a clean urine sample out to be cultured. When I go back to see him we'll discuss doing a low dose, long term antibiotic.

I was amazed at how little pain I had from the tests. I did feel a little crampy with pelvic/lower back pain but a Tylenol kept that in check. I really am glad I went through with the tests. I know they're not 100% accurate but I wasn't entirely convinced I had IC, the tests confirmed what I already suspected.

Take care..
    Diana

Leave a comment:

• ettegirb21
    replied
    I had both of my hydrodistentions done under anesthesia...I have severe pain in my urethra from catheters, and there is no way I could've done it without the anesthesia! I give credit to those of you who did it without it! I'd be so scared!

Leave a comment:

• verdicries
    replied
    My opinion of the cysto/hydro isn't really fair...I had one done while I was also under for complete pelvic reconstructive surgery. Sooooooo all the pain I felt afterwards was b/c of the surgery AND the hydro (I went home with a catheter for a week, a side effect of surgery). When it finally came out and I COULD (sort of) pee on my own I wasn't peeing razorblades (which I expected)-but I WAS peeing very VERY small amounts literally every 2-3 minutes. So it upped my urgency/frequency. It only started to subside after 4-5 weeks and it's been 12 weeks now...I still have urgency/frequency and pain with most foods...

I had hoped the hydro would give me SOME relief; expand my bladder capacity (which my doc said actually wasn't too bad considering how bad my bladder looked!). I don't think I'll be going in for another one, but it DID confirm my dx.

GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• veeneck
    replied
    I would not be afraid of it

Greetings,

My IC is pretty severe and I have lots of ulcerations, and I've had three hydrodistentions. One was an in-office procedure with no anesthesia, that was excruciatingly painful and totally useless, not even for diagnostic purposes. I am not sure why they did it at all. I had one under local anesthesia which allowed for my initial diagnosis, and the other under general anesthesia for lasering of the ulcers. Both of the procedures I had under anesthesia gave me relief from pain and frequency for several months. So I would not be afraid of having a hydrodistention. You may get more relief than I did, I know that a lot of people do. But I think there's a big difference between the office procedure and a hospital procedure, at least there was for me. It wasn't a solution for me but if you have a relatively mild case of IC it might be a good strategy. My doctor indicated that it might break the pain cycle, and it did do that temporarily.

Leave a comment:

• Trishann
    replied
    Ronda if this is a repeat please forgive me, but having the test done was a good thing for me, now I know I am not just going crazy. It's horrible to know that you know something is seriously wrong but yet no one can tell you what it is, and also make excuses as if nothing is really seriously wrong. I think now you can do other test other then this one. I think there is so much good and so much bad in this prodecure. This is something that might be a good thing for one and not a good thing for another person. It makes it hard because each one of us our different, so it becomes complicated.

Sending hugs, Trishann

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    Salsa,
    Good luck and let us know how it goes..

Leave a comment:

• tracyscherer
    replied
    I really wish that I would not have had the hydro

Hi,
    I have posted before and read much here. I always wonder when I read about how the hydro's have helped Donna and others if it would have helped me if I would have had anesthesia, because I was so tense from the angony to the point of moaning and shaking.but also I had the dilation done with nothing either that day, and maybe that is why I have urgency now, wow, when I have to go I have to go! and then sometimes I can not so It makes things worse, really too much pain. but I think I always had bladder spazms.
    I just know that for me the hydro and dilation made my already fallen bladder even worse and I always have to get up now in the middle of the night.
    How I wish it would have done good for everything I went through! Gees! anyways it did nothing for me except make things different and worse.Except for the diagnosis, which was good so at least now I know what on earth was going on for so with my bladder.

Everyone should read about every proceedure and doctors should not mention a proceedure and do it the same day. We are unprepared that way and can only rely on the information they tell us or don't tell us.

Leave a comment:

• beandip
    replied
    It did not help me very much and it caused me some pain but it only lasted a day or so. I was glad to get the diagnosis though.

The best thing for me has been diet change and elmiron. Hope this helps someone out there.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X