Help about Urethral Dilation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help about Urethral Dilation

I just got a copy of my medical records from my now old Urologist and in there he stated that when he did the hydrodistention he also did a urethral Dilation. I don't understand because looking at the records prior to having this test done, he didn't say anything about doing this.

He did tell me mom that the Urethrea was a little narrow, but not that bad, but never said that he did a Dilation, nor did he when I went back for follow up care.

Help, I don't understand am I missing something here???

Thanks,
    Stacy eek
    One day at a time!!!

Stacy,

Your urologist probably should have been more explicit when he talked you about what he did during the hydrodistention. In my experience, it seems like a urethral dilation is typically done whenever the urologist notices significant narrowing of the urethra while performing some kinds of diagnostic procedure. If you were under anesthesia for the hydrodistention, he probably performed it as a matter of course and it didn't even occur to him to mention it.
    Namaste

"You must be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The most important medicine is tender love and care" - Mother Teresa

Proud mother of Ahleia, born on April 9, 2007

-----------------------
    Diagnosed with:
    IC, OAB, Congenital urethral stricture, IBS, Vulvar vestibulitis, Heart murmur, Congenital cervical stenosis...but otherwise doing great!

Meds:
    Currently in remission, but took the following for 3 years: Elmiron 200 mg., Elavil 25 mg., Detrol LA 4mg, Ovcon-35

Health treatments/practices:
    Kripalu yoga, Chiropractic, Massage therapy and Reiki

Comment

HI STACY

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOUR DOCTOR TOLD YOUR MOM AND DID NOT TELL YOU. I HOPE YOU ARE DOING BETTER. IF YOU GET CHANCE GIVE ME A CALL. I REALLY NEED TO TALK WITH YOU. DEBORAH kissing kissing

Comment

My $.02. Urthreal Dialation is an outdated proceedure for treatment of IC. IMO it signals a doctor that is not up on IC and is probabley still stuck in the "yes dear I'm sure it hurts, have you tried some Advil or maybe you might want to think about 'seeing someone'" Grrrrr. I'm sure Urethreal Dialation is very effective for people with little itty bitty ureathras but most ICs have fine ureathras in the begining, also tight ureathras are associated with chronic URINARY TRACT INFECTIONS, because it makes it difficult to void properly thereby causeing urine to remain in the bladder blah blah blah INFECTION blah blah. I'm sure you've educated yourself by now that IC and chronic UTI are two different things that can exist seperately from each other or simultaniously but are still compleately different medical conditions that unfortunately manifest similiar symptoms. So unless UTIs are the problem then he had no right to dialate without you knowledge just because "while he was there what the heck lets give it a go. Can't hurt." Um yeah it does and at this point and time unnecassary medical procedures that can cause scarring and irritation and MORE PAIN in a very sensitive area are wrong. Good luck explaning this to him/her. P.S. My doctor did the same thing to me 10 years ago and it p*ssed me off then and still does to this day!

Comment

Thank you everyone for Replying!!!

MRM,
          what do you think I should do? Should I confront him? I am not seeeing him anymore, but yes this doctor is one of those take advil and wait for the Elmiron to kick in.

Anyway I feel you pain honey!!!

Thanks for posting!!
          grouphug
          stacy

One day at a time!!!

Comment

I came from the old way of thinking with my X- uro. I had dilations done every 6-8 months. They always controlled my symptoms. Then, I get a new uro, she does 2 dilations, no problems. Then comes the next uro. OUCH, PAIN, NEVER ENDING PAIN. Now, the uro I am with was forced to do one to try to see why I have a never ending bladder infection. He told me that the neck of my urethra is so bad that there is no way the urine can all get outa there wink So he cauterizes me and we pray it will work. NOT

For now I am doing alot of self-cathing. I am having my interstim taken out the end of the month and then we will do what ever we have to do with the raw urethra banghead banghead
            teri
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow".

Comment

My current uro told me urethral dilation is an outdated procedure, and only necessary for those who have abnormally small urethras. In the late 60's I was having them done weekly for my ic symptoms. They only caused me more pain. I got no improvement at all, only pain and suffering. Eventually, I was told to "see someone"! Those doctors were all wrong. If your doctor thinks urethral dilation is proper IC treatment, for someone with a normal size urethra, he/she may not be up to date on IC. Find someone who does, don't suffer needlessly, like I did!

Comment

Hi Darlene

I had a urethral dilation about 6 years ago and I STILL have the same problem that I did then. Just as you guys say, it didn't solve my problem one bit, just added to the pain.

Vikki

Comment

I have a small urethra (my sphincter is very strong so it close very often my urethra)

My dr is treating me with hydros and botox (this for helps my PFD), but when my urethra is closed I have an urehtral dilation and I can pee again. My dr does aprox once a month

Comment

I understand the dilations work well only for individuals with small urethras that tend to close. One solution that keeps the urethra open and cuts down on monthly dilations is to have your uro, during a hydro, or other similar procedure stretch the urethra with a Kollman. That eliminates the dilations for at least 3 months and possibly longer.
                    Liz

Comment

Liz

Can you explain me better the procedure???, every 6 months (aprox) I have a hydro, botox injections, and the dr makes a dilation too

Since yesterday I have problems for void again, I have to push (and this is very bad for us), and I´m leaving residual urine again. So I called my uro yesterday, and he told me that I have to take a muscle relaxer, and if for the next week I continue bad, I have to go to his office for do a dilation again (the last one was on may 3, when he put the botox), but he wants to use a catheter with a baloon, he says that is better than the dilators

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X