sed. rate and CDC, & IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sed. rate and CDC, & IC

My Doc office just did a sed rate and CDC since I have been running a low grade fever for 6 weeks. They just called and said there is NO SIGN OF INFECTION OR INFLAMMATION ANY WHERE IN MY BODy??? I wish somebody would tell my body that!

OK, I know we have a low level chronic infection, two kidneys full of stones and IC..., not to mention my cycle started that day??

What does a sed rate show incomparision to IC. I did just call Jil quickly and ask if a sed. rate and CDC would show IC if you are taking nautral anti-inflammaroties and antibiotics???? She said not at all but was on a call...

I also ask the lab and they did not know how those things would effect the test!

Does any one have any input or suggestions, link to info etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shelly
    Shelly Matthewson
    Private Researcher
    IC Support Group Leader
    Director of MOARK Interstitial Cystitis
    www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
    PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Wanted to post some things I found out, in case other's are given this test. Thankfully my URo did not put much trust in it and treated me any way. Just hope my Gp is as open on Wed...., various blimps:

I agree with the other doctors you asked-- it is likely that the sed rate would be higher than one if you were infected. But I've seen normal sed rates in HIV+s and 1 is a normal sed rate, so if you are concerned that you may be infected you should not rely on a test as non-specific as this.

And here is an interesting link!http://www.arthritisinsight.com/medical/tests/esr.html

Shelly

Factors that can interfere with your test and the accuracy of the results include:

Pregnancy.
    Anemia.
    If you are having your menstrual period.
    Age. Sed rates normally increase with age.
    Medications, such as corticosteroids, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), heparin, birth control pills, procainamide, theophylline, vitamin A, aspirin, quinine, methotrexate, tamoxifen, some antibiotics, and some anticonvulsants.
    Shelly Matthewson
    Private Researcher
    IC Support Group Leader
    www.moarkic.com

Also diagnosed with Meduallary Sponge Kidney Disease, with many kidney stones and chronic infection, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome, and
    PFD

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

In His hands even IC (MSK, PCS etc.) can be a blessing and an opportunity to serve Him by help others. It is my heart to help others and to network patients and medical practitioners in Missouri and Arkansas!!

Comment

I've always had an elevated sed rate, my gp says it is because IC
      current meds:
      cytotec 200mcg twice daily
      toprol
      allegra

ONLY 3 MEDICATIONS!!! YAY! Would never have dreamed this is possible

dx: hashimoto's thyroiditis 1998
      dx: interstitial cystitis via cystoscopy with hydrodistention and biopsy 2003
      dx: endometriosis 2003
      dx: innapropriate sinus tacchicardia 2005

meds tried but failed:
      elavil (6months)- severe tachycardia
      elmiron (1yr6mo.)- no improvement, nausea, hair loss, stomach ulcers
      a bunch of others

Me and my best friend's baby (also my Godson!)

Comment

That is very possible.
        the problem was when they did my sed rate test, I was on lots of anti-inflammatories and antiotics. My sed rate was 0, but I was in a flare and it was the first day of my cycle. The Gp's office called to tell me I had no signs of inflammation or infection any where in my body...,( but I had been running a low grade fever for 6 weeks and was in a lot of pain.) "Ï thought I wish someone would notify my body of that.

That is the whole point. It can show inflammation and infection but it doesn't always especially if someone is on alot of medications that can make the test inaccurate,

Since my Uro increased my antibiotic my fever is gone and the flank pain is almost gone too!

Shelly
        Shelly Matthewson
        Private Researcher
        IC Support Group Leader
        www.moarkic.com

PFD

Comment

I think our bodies definately know where our inflamation is ...even if we dont know. I also have had my Dr tell me that altho sed rate shows inflamation it does not tell WHERE in the body it is. My sed rate recently was 80. Normal is between0-20. I have my ic pain/inflamation and also subacute thyroiditis and a cyst that is being biopsied soon. Without my current thyroid situation my sed rate has been 49, at which time my ONLY complaint was my bladder. So for me,I think my sed rate is definately caused by my bladder. Hope this helps!
          [FONT="Comic Sans MS"] [/Had some kind of bladder surgery at age 8. Severe frequency since a child. Diagnosed with ic in 2000.
          Hysterectomy for severe carcinoma insitu
          1994..1997 ovaries removed
          First hydro 2005 inflamatory polyps removed,trigonitis,urethritis, ic
          severe urethral stricture.April 2008-gallbladder removed..BRUTAL!
          Hashimotos throiditis
          angiomyolipomas of the kidney
          Medications:,atarax50mg,prilosec 20 mg,. Oxycontin 10 mg.up to 3xday, 20 mg oxycontin at bedtime.zocor 40 mg.,synthroid 112.mcg a day.
          I use a natural compounded hormone cream made for me, with estrogen,testosterone and progesterone.

'TO PEE OR NOT TO PEE' is definately NOT the question for me!!!!!!! :

Big hugs to all my ic friends!
          Debbie

Comment

HI! I've been seeing a Rheumatologist since March. From the first symptoms I had he thought I had Polymyalgia (tho I didn't have a low sed rate or rash) You might ask your dr. about Polymyalgia, sounds like you have a lot of the symptoms. Check it out on Google. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
            Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
            Dx'd Hypothyroid
            Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
            June 2007
            Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
            First Cysto 1979
            First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
            Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
            Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
            Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Dx'd: IBS 2000
            Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
            Laminectomy 1989
            Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
            I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Working...
            X