Hypothyroidism as cause for I.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothyroidism as cause for I.C.

Has anyone heard of the theory that Hypothyroidism denudes the GAG layer of the bladder? Thierry Hertoghe, M.D. wrote a scientific paper on his theory. Our speaker, Dr. Andrew Dickens, N.M.D. this Sunday will be speaking on this topic and as I am Hypthyroid, am very interested in learning if there is a connection. I have had I.C. for 8 years and have never found a cure and have never been in remission.
    Arizonian

I was recently told that I may have IC and I have hypothyroidism as well. I have read a few things during my research about IC and PNE and the possible connection. I am interested in finding out if this is connected
    I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship.

-- Louisa May Alcott

If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it.

-- Margaret Fuller

Comment

I've had diagnosed IC for 36 years now --- and my thyroid is normal. I suspect there may be multiple things that cause IC.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

My TPA (Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody) posted positive at 173 and I have been told I have Hashimoto Disease and that my chances to develop Hypothyroidism are high
        IC started in September 2009. In remission in July 2011. Came back in September 2013 after UTI at a stressfull time.
        First Treatment - (Trying it currently again)
        Lyrica 50mg at night
        Cystoprotek 3 a day - Prelief
        Valium suppositaries 2.5mg (only w.e. to avoid dependency)
        Natural Progesteron 100 mg from day 16 to day 25 of cycle
        Solgar Gentle Iron 25 mg for low ferritin
        Vitamin D 1,000.00 UI a day for low vitamin D
        Ester C 500 mg a day - Probiotics
        Physical Therapy for pelvic floor pain - Acupuncture - Yoga
        Blood test showed slight allergy to wheat so I did eliminate wheat from my diet for 4 months

Comment

I developed IC in Aug. 2008 & just developed hypothyroidism this past spring. Since I had the IC, fibromyalgia, IBS, & other conditions, my doctor thought it might have been autoimmune hypothyroid. It did turn out to be Hashimoto's. which he said is more common than you would think. Autoimmune diseases can run in clusters. But I haven't read anything about the thyroid causing IC. Sounds interesting. Please keep us posted.

Comment

I developed hypothyroidism in 1997, my antibodies were high which suggests an autoimmune disease. My IC started in 2009. I also developed diabetes at age 44 even I was very low risk to get diabetes( I am thin ,exercised daily, great blood pressure and lipids). I think my IC and diabetes are autoimmune processes. I've started taking Low Dose Naltrexone, which is being used for autoimmune diseases such as MS, Chron's, Fibro, and UC, and have started to feel much better.

Suzanne

Comment

Suzannes, do you mean you are feeling much better in general or your IC is much better since on Naltrexone
              IC started in September 2009. In remission in July 2011. Came back in September 2013 after UTI at a stressfull time.
              First Treatment - (Trying it currently again)
              Lyrica 50mg at night
              Cystoprotek 3 a day - Prelief
              Valium suppositaries 2.5mg (only w.e. to avoid dependency)
              Natural Progesteron 100 mg from day 16 to day 25 of cycle
              Solgar Gentle Iron 25 mg for low ferritin
              Vitamin D 1,000.00 UI a day for low vitamin D
              Ester C 500 mg a day - Probiotics
              Physical Therapy for pelvic floor pain - Acupuncture - Yoga
              Blood test showed slight allergy to wheat so I did eliminate wheat from my diet for 4 months

Comment

To Arizonian,

I also live in Phoenix, and I am currently in the process of getting into an endocrinologist to have my thyroid checked as I think I too am "hypo"....
                that is an interesting theory. I will be interested in finding out
                if my thyroid is functioning as it should or not. I had a partial thyroidectomy 15 years ago, and have not taken meds for years....I have been diagnosed with IC for almost 10 years, but suspect I have had it most of my life as I have always had pretty severe urinary frequency. Anyway, that would be quite interesting if the two were related..

Comment

Mauricette,

I feel better since starting the Naltrexone in Sept 2010. I've also now been on Elmiron x 1 year. My TSH has stayed the same and my blood sugars have stayed the same although I've been eating more carbs than usual. If you google Low Dose Naltrexone there is a lot of info on it, I figured I had nothing to lose by taking it.

Suzanne

Comment

Hi,
                    I have thyroid problems too, and I have heard other people suggest that there is a connection with IC. I'm sure many of us would love to hear about what the speaker has to say.
                    Good luck. I pray for a cure.
                    Karen

Comment

Originally posted by suzannes View Post
                      I developed hypothyroidism in 1997, my antibodies were high which suggests an autoimmune disease. My IC started in 2009. I also developed diabetes at age 44 even I was very low risk to get diabetes( I am thin ,exercised daily, great blood pressure and lipids). I think my IC and diabetes are autoimmune processes. I've started taking Low Dose Naltrexone, which is being used for autoimmune diseases such as MS, Chron's, Fibro, and UC, and have started to feel much better.

Suzanne

my IC pain is allmost gone since I am on low dose Naltrexone/botox and Alpha lipoic acid
                      My T4 And TSH are beter ass well
                      See:

http://www.ic-network.com/forum/show...t=48152&page=3

Comment

We had actually heard this as well, and Bob has a tough time keeping the weight off. However, his thyroid is normal, and always has been. Interesting theory though, may be multiple causes of IC.

Comment

I developed IC after a rough c-section with some bladder trauma. I've been on a *very* limited diet for the past 3 year years with good success. I tested and tested foods until I finally knew what didn't cause pain. The result is I can only eat a very small number of foods...and only ones that I prepare myself. (No fortified wheat or rice; no dairy; no fruit; no spices except sea salt; no sugars except white sugar. The list goes on.) I also do elmiron and lidocaine instillations every 1-2 days. This combination finally got me to a point where I had tolerable levels of daily pain. I've been seeing an endocrinologist since my injury because I'd also had serious hormonal disruptions after the birth--my estrogen levels dropped to almost nothing. A new endocrinologist, puzzled by my weird numbers, finally did extensive testing and decided that I am hypothyroid even though I don't have high TSH levels. It's taken a bit of work to find a medicine I can tolerate. (The generic thyroid medications were deadly painful.) But after I got on something I could tolerate (Tirosint) I saw a significant decrease in pain in a matter of a week. The early hypothesis is that I had postpartum thyroiditis which led to hypothyroidism. Thyroid problems can cause swelling and neuropathic pain: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothyroidism/AN01038
                          This type of thing probably only contributes to a small number of people's conditions, but it's worth checking out. I'm very hopeful that treating the thyroid may nudge me to the next level of recovery.

Comment

I've been on synthroid for many years before IC. Are you saying maybe it has caused my IC? Or are you saying the throid condition has caused the IC? Either way if we find the condition of IC is caused by a thyroid problem what the heck could we possibly do about it? We all want to know what has caused us to have this rotten condition but in my mind no matter what caused it, we have it and nothing much can take it away. I am being selfish I think as if we know what causes it we may help those who do not have it yet and hope they can fend it off in some way. I worry about my Sisters and Daughter so any information I could use to help them I would do. Interesting information and food for thought. Thank you. Hug, Ziggy
                            Last edited by Zygala87; 01-10-2012, 02:52 AM.

Comment

In my case, I think the hypothyroidism has contributed to my continuing pain. My IC was triggered by bladder trauma. It seems like there are many paths to the same place with this condition.

Comment

Working...
                              X