Possible IC; afraid to go to the doctor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible IC; afraid to go to the doctor

I used to be a coffee drinker and not so much of a water drinker (bad for me, I know). After two or three days of drinking 3 cups of coffee a day and not much else back in October I noticed that my urgency to use the bathroom didn't go away after I actually went. I thought it was the coffee and stopped drinking it but it didn't go away. After several days it had actually become pretty bad, and thinking I had a UTI I went to the doctor. My tests all came back clean, and she said that it sounded like I had cystitis, to drink 5-7 thermoses of water a day, take some AZO, and contact her in a week if things weren't better. They really weren't better in a week, although it wasn't as distractingly uncomfortable. I messaged her and she encouraged me to continue drinking water and practicing kegels, which I did. The kegels seemed to irritate me in the short term but help in the longterm. I eventually cut back on the water some, and reintroduced decaf coffee around December. I haven't touched caffeine or citrus drinks since October. I'm still drinking 3-5 glasses of water a day, but it seems to be making a resurgence over the past several days. It's the same feeling of severe urgency. I have no incontinence, no burning with urination, but I do have burning afterwards. This is very embarrassing but it honestly feels like my urethra is burning. It is affecting my sleep and my sex life. I am young (23) and I am very discouraged. I don't want to deal with this discomfort for the rest of my life, which seems to be the case if it's IC. I don't want to have to choose between the discomfort of inflammation and the discomfort of constantly needing to go to the bathroom from chugging water all the time. I don't want to never be able to go to a nice coffeeshop with friends. I want to be able to experience intimacy with my husband without it causing a flareup. Sorry if this is too personal but I wanted to get an online opinion before I scheduled another appointment. The doctor told me if I went back in I would be referred to a urologist, which is a lot of stress I would really rather not hassle with, but its looking more and more like I won't have a choice.

to the IC Network.

I sincerely hope that you do NOT have interstitial cystitis. But, if you DO have it, you need to know so you can work towards easing your symptoms. There are some things you can do to help guide you towards diagnosis --- first of all give the IC diet a try to see if that helps --- and keep a detailed diary for your urology appointment.

Donna
    Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I also hope you do not have IC. Like Donna has said if you do have it you need to know so you can work towards easing your symptoms. If i were you, I would definitely see the urologist That’s the only way you will know? Sometimes a Diagnosis for IC can take some time. You have to rule out other things first and have some testing done. There is treatment out there you jut have to find the right treatment for you.

Comment

Hey, just wanted to chime in and also recommend you get on the waiting list for the urologist, just in case! It could be that it isn't IC but if it is you can find ways to manage it! I am 24 and was diagnosed at 20, so I understand your fears and wish to be able to still live your life and do things with your friends. You will still be able to, even if it does end up being IC. I hope you feel better soon
        Diagnosed IC and PFD February 2016. Before this I had minor IC symptoms for 6 years.
        Other diagnosis: IBS, Chronic Sinusitis & Rhinitis, Iron deficiency

Comment

I’m so sorry your feeling like this! Hope you can go see the doctor and get it all sorted out💕

Comment

doing nothing will not make you feel better , and if you have a problem , it is better to find it out right now . so go to doctor , nothing bad is gonna happen'

Comment

Originally posted by anna31211 View Post
              I used to be a coffee drinker and not so much of a water drinker (bad for me, I know). After two or three days of drinking 3 cups of coffee a day and not much else back in October I noticed that my urgency to use the bathroom didn't go away after I actually went. I thought it was the coffee and stopped drinking it but it didn't go away. After several days it had actually become pretty bad, and thinking I had a UTI I went to the doctor. My tests all came back clean, and she said that it sounded like I had cystitis, to drink 5-7 thermoses of water a day, take some AZO, and contact her in a week if things weren't better. They really weren't better in a week, although it wasn't as distractingly uncomfortable. I messaged her and she encouraged me to continue drinking water and practicing kegels, which I did. The kegels seemed to irritate me in the short term but help in the longterm. I eventually cut back on the water some, and reintroduced decaf coffee around December. I haven't touched caffeine or citrus drinks since October. I'm still drinking 3-5 glasses of water a day, but it seems to be making a resurgence over the past several days. It's the same feeling of severe urgency. I have no incontinence, no burning with urination, but I do have burning afterwards. This is very embarrassing but it honestly feels like my urethra is burning. It is affecting my sleep and my sex life. I am young (23) and I am very discouraged. I don't want to deal with this discomfort for the rest of my life, which seems to be the case if it's IC. I don't want to have to choose between the discomfort of inflammation and the discomfort of constantly needing to go to the bathroom from chugging water all the time. I don't want to never be able to go to a nice coffeeshop with friends. I want to be able to experience intimacy with my husband without it causing a flareup. Sorry if this is too personal but I wanted to get an online opinion before I scheduled another appointment. The doctor told me if I went back in I would be referred to a urologist, which is a lot of stress I would really rather not hassle with, but its looking more and more like I won't have a choice.
              Did you see your doctor? How are you doing now?

Donna
              Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
              X