No announcement yet.

wondering if I have IC

  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • wondering if I have IC

    A little over two years ago I felt slight pains in my bladder. One morning I woke up and went to pee and my urine had blood in it. It also hurt so bad to pee, so I went to the ER and the doctor told me I had a UTI (they did find bacteria in my urine) and put me on antibiotics for 3 days . Well, it did improve the pain but the burning never went away completely. After about 3 months of this chronic pain I went to health services at my college who did a urinalyis and couldn't find any bacteria present, but gave me antibiotics just to be sure. My symptoms still did not subside or improve. After a few times of checking my urine and putting me on antibiotics, the nurse told me that maybe stress was causing the chronic pain i had been feeling. Not convinced, I looked on the internet and found this condition called interstitial cystitis which sounds like something I may have. What I was wondering is if my symptoms will start to get worse over time (right now i have pain/burning when urinating especially towards the end, sometimes cloudy pee, minor frequency (i feel as if i go about twice as much now), and slight pain in my lower abdomen especially after sex.) Right now these symptoms have been annoying but not so bad that I feel that I can't stand it so I have not gone to a urologist yet, but i am worried. I also plan on getting pregnant in a few years (I am 21), so will this condition, if i have it, affect my ability to have kids?

  • #2
    Welcome! hi Have they been culturing your urine or just doing a urinalysis? Sometimes the UA can miss infection.

    I think it would probably be a good idea to see a urologist. There are other conditions that can mimic IC symptoms and I think it's important for us to know what we are dealing with.

    If it is IC, it's good to know early. And you don't need to live like you are ---- there are many treatments available that afford many of us a normal life. I think it's very worth getting to a good uro who can help you determine what is going on and get you on the road to feeling better.

    Diagnosed August 2001

    Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

    Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

    I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.


    “We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

    “You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy


    • #3
      I agree with Kim that you really should see a urologist.

      And even if it is IC, there are many treatment options available --- and ICers do have babies.

      Warm hugs,
      Stay safe

      Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center -
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) -

      Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

      Patient Help:


      Diet list:

      AUA Guidelines:

      I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

      Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool


      • #4
        I also agree with Kim and Donna that you should see a urologist. I also want to welcome you to the icn net work and please let us know how you are doing.
        Hang in there , There is hope.
        There is hope. Prayer works.

        Love, Debbie


        • #5
          Welcome to the icn family.
          I would also like to agree with kim and donna you need to see a uro to get a full dx.
          good luck and keep us posted on how you are.
          there is many ICER who has baby's some even go into remission. best of luck to you and gentle hugs sent your way. grouphug
          Medicine taken daily or as needed:
          1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
          2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
          3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
          4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
          5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
          5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
          6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
          7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

          I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!


          • #6
            Hi and welcome to the the IC family and the boards. I also agree with the gals, I would get an appointment with a urologist, that way you will find out what is going on and can start on the road to feeling better. The ICN is a great place to come for help, support, and lots of information, great gals and a few guys in the IC family. Take care and a welcoming hug Iris hi grouphug
            Today and every day you are loved, so don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of you tomorrow; Live one day at a time.


            • #7
              Hi and welcome to the boards! I agree with all the girls (we've got a smart group here!) and seeing a uro is a good step. And a remission is possible--I didn't think it was, but I'm experiencing one!

              Hugs and luck,
              Jess grouphug kissing
              Mommy to 2 crazy, wonderful kids and wife to the most amazing man in the world!


              • #8
                I agree too you should see a uro.. there are a lot of things that mimic ic and you want to have them ruled out... the best test that is the true way to determine ic is a hydrodenstion and cystoscopy good luck and please keep us posted
                'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'