No announcement yet.


  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Doctor?

    Can a gyn diagnose and treat this? I will be seeing mine soon and since my urologist couldn't figure out what was wrong I was wondering if I should ask my gyn to figure it out and treat me.

  • #2
    usually it is a uro that dx's IC. They do a hydrodenstion and cystoscopy, under sedation in the hospital as an out patient procdure, thats the true way to dertemine ic. I would most diffently speak to your gyn and see what he/she suggests.. keep us posted
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'


    • #3
      Thats a great Question! I was just wondering the same thing.
      I had the the Cysto/Hydro done.My Uro doesnt seem to think that I have IC .He showed me the pics afterwards and one out of the four looked weird .He gave me Detrol LA and Macrobid.
      So far I have been of these meds for 1 week and since the Hydro,I have been peeing more than ever!!! banghead Also have pain in my lower abdomen and lower back.The urgency and frequency have doubled.
      Flower,hope you do find some answers!
      Hugs ICchell


      • #4
        my best friend was dx by her gyn and was then sent to a uro. her gyn and uro both treat her ic.
        best of luck sent to you hope you feel better soon and get the right treatment that will work for you.
        Medicine taken daily or as needed:
        1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
        2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
        3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
        4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
        5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
        5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
        6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
        7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

        I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!


        • #5
          Good question, I was diagnosed by a uro, he treated me (if you can call it that) for about 2 years then I went to the second uro with no luck then yesterday went to a new doc that is actually a gyn but he has a special interest in ic and he is probably the most knowledgable doc i have been to, so i guess it is just a matter of who helps you the most. But like the others said it is usually a uro that does the cysto/hydro!


          • #6
            I have found the best of both worlds in my dr. He is a urogynocologist. He was first trained as a gynocologist and then went to further training to be a urologist. He specializes in diagnosing and treating I.C. in the least invasive ways possible. You might consider looking for a urogynocologist in your area. My dr. says that the difference in urogyno and uros is usually that most uros aren't trained to listen to the patients but rather to make a quick diagnosis and do surgery. I know there are great uros out there but his point is that gynocologists are actually trained to listen to a patients description of symptoms which is the first step in evaluating a patient for I.C. or any other disease. I was first diagnosed with a potassium sensitivity test. I was reluctant to do it because I knew the idea was to put a solution in my bladder and if it invoked pain that I had I.C. My dr. promised to instill a rescue solution as soon as I said it hurt and they did so. It wasn't as bad as I thought and other than it sending me into a flare for a week it wasn't painful in the long run. I did later end up getting a hydro/cysto after being hospitalized for dehydration and pain. It showed the clasic glomerulations on the bladder wall.

            I hope this has been helpful.