Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever hear of an allergy to salmon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kadi
    replied
    When I had allergy testing done, I was surprised sort-of by testing allergic to fish & shellfish. I've never had a rash from either, though I did have a pretty bad day of vomiting afterwards the last 2 times I had fish. I had written that off as food poisoning, never thought of allergy.

One thing I find, is that whenever there's an "unusual, only a few percent of the population" problem, it just might be me that has it.

Follow your instincts. You're the best judge of how your body reacts to things...

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    I thought this was interesting even though it says nothing about the bladder..

"Ninety-five percent of all Atlantic (not Alaskan) salmon is farmed. Nearly 100 percent is artificially colored, which may be provoking allergic reactions, notes Linda Joyce Forristal in her article, “It Something Fishy Going On?” Consumers should consider what it takes to produce “America’s favorite fish.” Forristal’s own suspected allergic reaction to farmed Atlantic fish led her to research and identify two culprits (and allergy incidents) used to dye the flesh of farmed salmon — canthaxanthin and astaxanthin (pronounced canth-a-zan’-thin and az-tuh-zan’-thin). Aside from their tongue twisting pronunciations, both substances are carotenoids naturally inherent in red algae, shrimp shells, lobster carapaces and flamingo feathers. Normally salmon forage their native habitat (ocean waters) for canthaxanthin and astaxanthin-rich algae or for crustaceans and plankton which ingest them. When confined to farms and unable to forage for food, their artificially induced colorings yield “insipid, unappealing color—one few consumers would choose.”

It came from this website..

http://chetday.com/alaskansalmon.htm

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    replied
    Yes, it was the top result as far as food allergies - salmon, red snapper (never have it) were the worst and cane sugar is a "possibly."

I eat salmon ALL the time and never had any problems with it in terms of respiratory difficulties or skin rashes so I thought it must display itself internally - like in the bladder.

I know some people think that PBS/IC may be caused by food allergies negatively affecting the bladder.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    ps...

I just thought about something else....are you eating fresh or canned salmon? I would think canned might have some preservatives in it that could be a source of bladder pain.

Leave a comment:

• SandyRN
    replied
    I agree with Donna...most people who have allergies to fish or shellfish show them in severe ways, with an abrupt onset and breathing difficulties and probably a rash.

I guess it is possible that the salmon is bothering your bladder, but most people can eat it providing it's not over seasoned with irritating spices.

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    If you're allergic to salmon, you should be showing some symptoms such as respiratory distress or a rash.

Donna

Leave a comment:

• dg2901
    replied
    I would reckon that a person could be allergic to just about anything, though i've personally never known anyone with a fish allergy. Have you been diagnosed as being allergic to salmon?

diana

Leave a comment:

• izazen
    started a topic Anyone ever hear of an allergy to salmon?

Anyone ever hear of an allergy to salmon?

I wonder if it could manifest itself in the bladder. I eat a LOT of salmon!!
Working...
X