Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm scared: Having a test done Thursday for ELMIRON

Hi,
    I have suffered from IC symptoms for years. I've been on Detrol & Urseid or something like that for bladder pain for over a year.

I am having some kind of test done on Thursday and wanted some info on it. The Urogist said that he'll be doing some potasium test I think. I can't spell it. lol Sorry. But he said it is a test that will see if ELMIRON will help me. He said he'll put like 3 different kind of things into my bladder to see how it reacts.

I am nervous and scared. Can someone please give me all the details of what will happen, what it will be & feel like and what kind of things I should know.

I've had a catheter done a few times on me before. Once before I had a c-section and was put to sleep, another time for a clean catch of my urine and then another time to see how much urine my bladder could hold. I didn't like it.

Ashley
    Ashley - wife of Michael for about 15yrs, mom of 3, stay at home mom and homeschooling mom

Learned I had IC through a potassium sensitivity test on - 3/1/07

My meds -

Elmiron 2 times a day
    Marshmallow Root pills once a day
    Prosed
    Zyrtec - once a day

The test is very likely a potassium sensitivity test. In this test a catheter is inserted and different solutions will be put into your bladder through the catheter. One of the solutions will contain potassium --- they won't tell you when it's going in --- if the potassium causes pain, that's considered to be a pretty good indication that what you have is interstitial cystitis (IC). They will immediately drain that solution and put in one that will stop the pain.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi Ashley, I know the fear of the unknown is usually scarier than the actual "known" I am sure you will just fabulous and it will be over before you know it! Please keep us posted and let us know how you do!!!!

BIG hugs!!
      Hugs,
      Tracey
      How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time...

Harry arrived 2/23/09!

*IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

IC Diet Cheat Sheet:
      http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf

Dx's:
      IC dx'd Nov 2004
      Lymphocytic Colitis dx'd July 2005
      Possible IBS
      Current IC Meds
      Vistaril 25mg in the evening
      Previous IC Meds taken:
      Cystoprotek - 2 caps 2x's a day
      Elmiron, 100mg 3x's a day
      Ditropan, 5 mg 3x's a day
      Others:
      Wellbutrin 150mg 2x's a day for Anxiety/IBS
      Pepcid 40mg a day for GERD
      Zytrec for Nasal Allergies
      Align Probiotic daily for IBS

Comment

Yes, this sounds like the Potassium Sensitivity test which is how I was diagnosed.

I was nervous too, but it wasn't as bad as I imagined. Donna explained the procedure well. The pain the potassium caused me was similar to going into an instant IC flare. As soon as I reacted, they immediately drained the potassium and put something in to numb my bladder. One of the things that concerned me the most was that afterwards, once the numbing solution wore off, I would be in a whole lot of pain. That didn't happen! There was a slight irritation for about the next 24 hours, but not enough to slow me down.

Let us know how things turn out for you!

Vicki
        "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

Test was positive

Thanks to all of those who helped me. I had the test done on Thursday. The awful part was the catheter. They couldn't get it in it. The nurse tried a few times and I was sure she got it in since it hurt bad, but she couldn't. She went and got another nurse and that nurse couldn't either. They had to get the dr to do it. I can't tell you how awful that was having 3 different people trying to jab a catheter inside me.

It was just as someone said the pain the potassium caused me was similar to
          going into an instant IC flare. It hurt like crazy. They put in some other kind of thing to help slow the pain down but it really didn't help that much. Just a little bit. The dr then told me that pretty much cleared things up and put me on Elmiron. For the rest of the night I had a lot of stabbing pains inside me which I am sure is from the catheter. I still have IC pain though and urised has helped just a little bit.

I had mixed feelings about the test. I thought maybe I was hoping it would test positive so I would know this isn't all in my head. Also I didn't want it to test positive because I didn't want to have IC.

Really it hasn't changed how I feel though. At least now know what is wrong. I have a great urologist and feel like we are on the path to finding some relief.

Ashley
          Ashley - wife of Michael for about 15yrs, mom of 3, stay at home mom and homeschooling mom

Learned I had IC through a potassium sensitivity test on - 3/1/07

My meds -

Elmiron 2 times a day
          Marshmallow Root pills once a day
          Prosed
          Zyrtec - once a day

Comment

Well, I'm glad the testing went OK, but sorry the catheterization was so painful. I bet that was no fun at all!

It certainly is a mixed bag of emotions when we find out for sure that we have IC, isn't it? I remember feeling very similarly. It gets better - sounds like it already is for you.
            Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

Working...
            X