Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Painful Bladder?

I am in my 60's.
    Tests for Painful Bladder (cannot remember all of them) have been negative.
    Some pain in bladder, but primarily in urethra, no burning and no infection or blood in urine. My problem is frequent urination ( 4x an hour and as soon as I "go" I feel like I have to "go" again).

I go several weeks with NO problems and than WHAM... I am spending my life in the bathroom. Usually, this lasts anywhere from 48 hours to 3 weeks.

I have had urethra dilated every 6 months for 2 years and that seems to help. But.. it is so painful, that I dread having it done again.

I made some dietary changes -- no fresh orange juice, no sodas, no caffiene (except occasional chocolate).

My GYN suggested trying D-Mannose.

I take Detrol, Uro-Blue or Prosced (depending on which my insurance will cover), as well as vagi-fem, Prometrium and Estradiol.

Urolgoist/and NP feel that this may be related to low hormones or very small urethra or painful bladder or combination of all of these.

I have been going to a urologist nurse practitioner. I really like her, (she listens and is gentle). I do have appt with another urologist next week.

Does this sound like Painful Bladder?

I am completely guessing but it sounds like the beginning of IC. The thing is that other things can minic IC. This is something you and your doctor will have to find out. Keep pressing in until you have an answer.

And just want to say Hi
    Hugs, Trishann

Comment

It does sound like you have IC -- but that's something you and your doc have to figure out, as Trishann said. Do check out our Patient Handbook at http://www.ic-network.com/handbook for extra info about diagnosis, treatment options, and self help strategies... including a detailed version of the IC diet.

And I hope at your next appointment you'll get a better idea of what might be wrong!
      Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
      *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
      *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
      *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I think it's time for your urologist to do a cystoscopy/hydrodistention under anesthesia, or a potassium sensitivity test, and also to rule out other conditions that might mimic IC.

If I had to place a bet on which disease you had, I would bet on IC from the symptoms you are describing. It the beginning stages, or milder stages, the pain comes in flares which resemble infections. That's why it takes IC patients an average of 5 years to obtain a correct diagnosis from a doctor.

Blessings,
        Lori

Comment

<<it's time for your urologist to do a cystoscopy/hydrodistention under anesthesia, or a potassium sensitivity >.

Potassium test was negative -- no pain. Did have cycstoscopy but I wasn't "under", so assume that is not the test you mentioned.

Comment

According to WebMD - if your symptoms and tests don't exactly meet the strict criteria for IC, you may get a dx of painful bladder syndrome instead.

Comment

Working...
            X