Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jcdc35
    replied
    cranberry juice is the same as acid for me...actually i would be better off drinking acid. cranberry juice is the reason I was finally diagnosed with IC. I was getting so sick from my diet and I thought I was actually helping myself. I was drinking cranberry juice, seltzer and coffee all day/night long. I was eating tons of yogurt, and taking multi vitamins. When I got the IC diet I realized I was overdosing on everything that is terrible for me. I always loved cranberry juice but I am terrified of it now. I was told by a doctor, every vitamin I need is in my kitchen cabinet....basically if I eat good balanced meals I won't need vitamins. I'm not 100% on board with that but I am also afraid to take any vitamins. I'm just very grateful I was finally diagnosed. I feel blessed that I actually found a Urologist who knew what she was doing and diagnosed me right away. It took 8 doctors visits in 3 months to find out what was wrong and now I feel like I'm in charge again

Leave a comment:

• Allies40
    replied
    Cranberry juice, continued

I've been looking at your replies, thanks for all your information and support. It's So true that each person is different. So sorry Jilly, to hear about your foot. I was scheduled to have Bunion surgery on May 30th, but I had to put it off indefinitely because of my bladder stuff. I can't imagine foot pain and bladder pain!
    When I went to my Uro last week and she told me about the cranberry juice and Vitamin C, I gasped and said "No Way!" She said to just try it and if I couldn't tolerate the cranberry and Vitamin C, to make sure I ate 1/2 cup of blueberries 3 times a day.
    Well, I tried the cranberry for 3 days, then switched to just the blueberries for 2 days, and I think I'm better with the cranberry then the blueberry. I've been keeping a voiding journal(on Dr. recommendation) and I'm peeing less with cranberry juice then blueberries. I still feel like I have to go a lot, and I get mild pain but it doesn't seem to matter what I drink. I would think that if I couldn't tolerate drinking cranberry juice 3 times a day, I'd be in agony, wouldn't I?
    Oh yeah, I'm also using Urelle twice a day. Yesterday ( a day without cranberry juice), I was in pain all afternoon until I realized I hadn't taken a Urelle. Within a few hours of the Urelle, I felt much better. This morning I had a little pain ( a day with cranberry juice) and I took a Urelle and I'm feeling better again. Can the Urelle totally numb my bladder?
    I haven't tried the Vitamin C yet, but if I continue to do alright with the cranberry juice, I'll try it too.
    Maybe this means I don't have IC, I'm still so confused about everything. My family is supportive, but they don't actually understand what I'm going through, so in the meantime, all of you and this website have been a godsend to me, to be able to share and realize people are going through what I am, is wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• kari1980
    replied
    I think Ester C is suppose to be ok.

Kari

Leave a comment:

• stacyoigirl
    replied
    I have been reading recently about IC and found that if the vitamin c is coated a special way, it is fine. I do not know much about it, but am hopeful because I feel that I do not get the vitamins I need now. On the other hand, who wants to take the chance of hurting yourself?

Everyone pretty much said it, cranberry juice hurts.
    Has your doctor read this site? Or read about the dietary guidelines on here?
    Maybe that would help?

Leave a comment:

• b85
    replied
    just to say that to try and increase emptying the bladder i was given a tip to lean back on the seat as apparently this helps to completely void...worked for me with normal cystitis but since i dont have the frequency i dont know whether this is useful for ic? good luck!

Leave a comment:

• leelee88
    replied
    I can understand about UROs not knowing much.. I ask my URO about rescue instills and he had never done one and was not knowledgeable about them either, my GYN knows lots more about IC than my URO so she is the one who basically treats me like with the Cymbalta and Topamax..URO didnt even know what they were for..All he knows is how to Dg IC and to put you on Elmiron and muscle relaxers or spasm medications..And you know thats sad..I think I am going to do a print out on IC and leave it with his nurses and staff and give him a copy to..lol Think hes from the old school of IC and not kept up to date with any progress of medications that has helped..

Leave a comment:

• Natalie41
    replied
    Before I was diagnosed with IC I did have quite a few bladder infections and I noticed Cranberry juice didn't seem to help and most of the time made me my burning worse.

Jilly, I hope you ankle and your bladder get better soon

Leave a comment:

• glassd18
    replied
    Wow my uro never told me these things for IC. I got change your diet to the IC diet, and take Cystoprotek, Elavil, and Atarax, and a few other things, but never that. Blueberries can still flare me so I have to be careful about those too.

Leave a comment:

• kari1980
    replied
    Littlemyrn,
    I think that's a great idea you have. I agree the nurses and and staff are just not educated about IC, as are alot of doctors. I had to go to the ER recently because my pain was so bad, and when I told the doctor I had IC, he made a face and said, Oh, you just need some antibiotics and you'll be fine! I walked away so frustrated and feeling like no one understands. I wish we all could educate the medical staff on this disease. I moved to a new State and just recently went to a new MD/GYN and told her I had IC. She didn't know what it was and had never treated a patient with it. So when I went back I printed out some information I got from this sight and gave it to her and asked her to read it. She seemed really nice and willing to learn more about it, I hope so. Well good luck with your educating the staff, I think that's really great.

Kari

Leave a comment:

• littlemyrn
    replied
    as I posted before my mouth dropped. Then I was thinking, everytime I go to get a hydro done at the Uro Surgery Center, when I wake up they are like you want a coke? So even though they are urology nurses I think they really do not know about this disease. As I posted on another post, my urologist told me she like talking with me because I am so knowledgeable (from this website) that she thinks I would be a great educator. I am going to speak with her about maybe meeting with their staff at an office meeting and talking with the nurses about IC from the viewpoint of a patient. If she agrees I will post so everyone can email me with their own experiences from nurses or surgery centers and I can put them together in a handout for them. I really think it is a good idea. I know that there is not enough education in nursing school for them to be that knowledgeable and if their URO doesn't see that many IC patients they really don't know how to handle our phone calls. My uro's last nurse was great, she knew when I called and said I needed pain meds, she was right on it, had them called in within the hour, unfortunately she left to go teach and the new nurse is not so great. ugh.

Leave a comment:

• jillyg5661
    replied
    PS. Kadi I have had several people say the same thing to me, like oh it's just an infection and I try and explain that it is not.

My daughter works at a pharmacy and she told one of the pharmacists what I had. You know what they told my daughter? Oh your mom just has a urinary tract infection!

They are NOT dr.s and that bugged me to no end! Ok done venting

Leave a comment:

• jillyg5661
    replied
    Thanks everyone!

Oh make no mistake I will let my nurse and DR! know about her advice to me.

I am still in such agony and hurting so bad am ready to scream. Hobbling along so often to the bathroom with my walker because of this darn broken ankle and cast is making it more stressful for me. I don't need ANY more stress. I have enough for a few dozen people at this point I believe Trying to keep positive but it's so hard when you keep getting knocked down at every turn. My IC really was doing really well until I broke my ankle. It took about 1 1/2 weeks before the IC pain started coming back and now it's full blown.

I just don't understand how that nurse could give me such stupid and hurtful advice KNOWING full well I have IC. She has always been really nice to me and seemed to sympathize with me. Now I have my doubts. Wait until she see's me hobbling in with my cast and walker for my appt. this Monday! I will do my best to keep my anger in check. Thank god my husband will be with me as he is my driver until the cast comes off. He knows me and will keep me from screaming at the nurse but he will defend me and help me get my point across should I need him to.

Thanks for listening all I am just overwhelmed right now

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    To add to Donna's post, I'd let the DOCTOR know about the pain the nurse's advice caused you. I hate to say it, but if she is so ignorant about IC, she may be defensive & disregard what you say to her. The doctor needs to know & educate his nurse before she harms some other IC patient with bad advice.

Reading all these posts, I've also had experiences with medical people who when they hear "interstitial cystitis", if they don't know what it is, they figure we're using some weird word along with "cystitis" and figure we're talking about infection. I'd ask some serious clarifying questions if someone told me to drink cranberry or vit.C to make sure we really are talking about the same thing.

Yikes!

Leave a comment:

• kari1980
    replied
    I agree with Donna, and Jilly I'm sorry about your ankle. It must be so hard getting around and having to get up constantly for the bathroom! Feel better.

Kari

Leave a comment:

• ICNDonna
    replied
    I don't know of any ICer who can drink cranberry juice. We call it the "acid bomb" --- I definitely wouldn't touch it --- and I would let that nurse know about the pain her advice caused for you.

Donna

Leave a comment:

Working...
X