Urine retention again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urine retention again

I haven't been taking the Elavil - but I'm noticing this afternoon I'm sure I'm starting to retain urine again.

What could cause this? The last ER doc said this is really, really uncommon in women.

Yep. definitely retaining urine, and my bladder is on fire.

I've been taking Elmiron, 300-400mg a day since mid-November. I also take Biotin and glucosamine chondroitin.

I can't go back to the hospital. I can't have a catheter for a week. That was so painful, I'd rather die first.

The Elmiron isn't helping. Tylenol 3 is not impacting the pain level.

To me, this doesn't seem like typical IC. I have been following the diet stringently. But my pain level is progressively getting worse, and I've been getting stabbing pains in my kidneys. Every urine dip I've had since November has shown blood.

Thoughts?

Comment

I'm thinking infection. Have you been tested? I don't blame you for not wanting the cath but should get it checked out. Hope your feeling better soon!
      Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
      Lexapro-20 mg
      Aciphex
      Ambien-as needed
      Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
      Valium-10 mg x2 per day
      Phenergan-1 at night
      Prelief w/everything
      Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
      Heating pad
      Hot baths
      Ice
      Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

I'm on Ciprofloxacin right now - I have 7 days' worth. I've been on it for 3 days.

Yesterday, 24 hours after my catheterization, I felt almost fine. Now, it's getting worse.

They said they would culture my urine, but the only thing they found was blood. They did say at the ER that my urethra looked really red and inflamed.

Comment

Wow, sorry, but I don't have a clue unless you can think of something in your diet that has set it off. If not, it may be something else about this stupid disease. No cause, no cure. I truly am hoping you're feeling better soon. Some people say they get relief from drinking baking soda and water. Unless you have high bp, it can't hurt to try. I've tried it. It didn't really help me but it can help others. It's worth a shot.
          Katie-46 yr old female dx'd with IC after 15 years of symptoms off and on long term antibiotic use, GERD,IBS and now IC diet, gallbladder removed, endometrial ablation w/tubes tied
          Lexapro-20 mg
          Aciphex
          Ambien-as needed
          Percocet-7.5 up to 3 per day as needed
          Valium-10 mg x2 per day
          Phenergan-1 at night
          Prelief w/everything
          Now recovering from acute pancreatitis

Currents treatments that help somewhat:
          Heating pad
          Hot baths
          Ice
          Being VERY still while lying down with legs elevated

Comment

Since you were recently cathed, I am DEFINATELY thinking infection. The cath itself can cause one and it is a common thing to get a bad one after being cathed. (And yes, you CAN still have an infection even though you are on abx.) It could be that it is resistant to this abx.) I think you definately need to get tested and cultured again. I know you dont want to go back again but I think it is the safest bet. I really do.

Something else, I used to get bad retention all the time too. Mine was usually caused by an infection, meds (sometimes from narcotics, sometimes others), and sometimes from pelvic floor dysfuction causing the muscles to tighten up to the point they were so tight that I was retaining. (The latter sometimes happened too during a bad infection where I was in alot of of pain, just like you.)

When it wasnt an infection (or if it was a bad one causing my muscles to tighten up due to the pain (and fear of urinating feeling like peeing glass), what worked for me was taking a muscle relaxer.) I realize it sounds crazy but it really worked for me often when nothng else did. If your Dr. doesnt suggest this, then you might ask if he will give you a few to do a trial. (BTW, mine didnt suggest this, another IC patient, Briza, did when I was in the hosptial b/c of retention and nothing else worked. She had suffered with retention too. I ran it past my Dr. before trying it and he conceded it was possible her theory was right and told me to try it. Sure enough it worked!!!)

Something else worth mentioning....in my case I always seemed to go into retention when my stress level was at it's highest. Almost every other retention patient I have known also had their retention episodes after an especially stessful event (if not b/c of an infection.) In your case the stress of the cath event could have caused it. (Just my own speculation.)

I hope you feel better soon! I know how miserable this is!

Hugs,
            Amaranthe

P,S. Please note that I am just another IC patient and by no means should this be considered medical advice. Only you and your Dr should make decsions for your health care.
            I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
            The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

You might want to stop the supplements for a week or two to see if they are a problem for you. And definitely see your doctor. There are some medications that will help relax the bladder muscles to make it easier to urinate --- cardura, hytrin, flomax are three that immediately come to my mind.

Warm hugs,
              Donna
              Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
              Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
              X