Is this IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this IC?

Hi, I'm new here and haven't been diagnosed with anything yet. I've been suffering from symptoms similar to UTI symptoms for months now but every time I would go to my OBGYN to get tested, the test would come back negative. My Dr. would give me antibiotics anyway, but they would never help. So I decided to make an appointment with a Uro, but he hasn't been helpful at all. When I first spoke to him about what I was feeling all he said was that my symptoms were common in young woman, but Drs. don't know what causes the symptoms and that there was nothing I could do except to continue taking AZO whenever I felt the symptoms. He also gave me a prescription for Cipro to take after having sex to prevent UTIs. He also said he wanted to do a cystoscopy to rule out anything serious and he also had me go for a renal sonogram. After the cystoscopy, he told me my bladder looked fine and I just found out that my sonogram came back negative as well. But I'm still feeling the symptoms. So yesterday I took an at-home UTI test and my urine tested positive for white blood cells, but negative for bacteria. So I called my Uro to see if he could recommend anything to help/give me any advice (because AZO/Cystex wasn't helping), but all he said was "well it sounds like you have a UTI, the only thing that I can do is have you come in to do a urine culture" When I told him I really didn't think it was a UTI he got nasty with me and yelled "WELL THAT'S THE ONLY THING IT CAN BE". So I told him I would come in to do a urine culture.

I haven't gone in for the urine culture yet (I plan on going later today), but I have a very strong feeling the test is going to come back negative, and I don't want to go back to that Uro again. It's obvious he doesn't know what he's doing and he's rude.

Thanks to another poster's recommendation, I made an appt with another Dr, Dr. Moldwin next week. I feel hopeful that he will be able to help me because he specializes in IC and that's what I think I have.

I've been having this weird feeling in my bladder, almost like a fluttering. And I also have this burning feeling. I also feel like my bladder isn't emptying, like I always need to pee, but every time I do, my bladder just feels full again. And it kind of burns when I pee. But I haven't really been feeling extreme pain like I read a lot of IC patients have. My urethra kind of feels like it hurts though, I just haven't been feeling any type of sharp pains in my bladder. Sometimes, my back hurts also though.

Does it sound like I might have IC to anyone? Even though my test came back negative?

If anyone can give me any advice, I would really appreciate it.

Oh also, I read that muscle relaxants can help with the symptoms of IC. I noticed that when I was sick with a upper respiratory infection and was taking a cough suppressant with Codeine in it, my symptoms completely went away. I wonder if the Codeine actually helped my bladder symptoms? Is that possible?

Sorry this was so long

The symptoms you described could be IC. I am very glad you have an appointment to get a 2nd opinion. A cystoscopy done in a doctor's office does not always show IC nor does a sonogram.

Please come back and let us know how your appointment Dr. Moldwin went.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hi, when my cystoscopy came back negative the other day, my doctor said I have overactive bladder or possibly mild IC but there was no sign of IC on my bladder. He prescribed vesicare which helps relax the bladder and allows it to fill up more before you get the next urge to pee. He also is having me start cut out the "bad" drinks like alcohol, coffee/tea and carbonated beverages, he gave me a copy of the "bladder diet". I can't give everything up at once so I'm starting with the alcohol, don't drink carbonated beverages because I knew they bothered me and my current coffee is low acid but eventually I may give that up too. Anyways, he also is having me start a bladder retraining program where you only go to the bathroom at exact time intervals to retrain your bladder to slowly hold more and not constantly tell you that you have to pee when its not full.
      The fluttering you're feeling is probably spasms though in my case they feel more like a poke or a squeeze. The Vesicare has totally eliminated those in two days thank god.

Good thing you're getting a second opinion, that doctor sounded like a jerk.

btw when I have wbc in my urine my symptoms are always worse and I take an antibiotic for a few days then. Could be the start of a uti maybe. Usually when they see those they have you take an antibiotic because something is going on, maybe just not a full blown infection.
      Cindi

Gelnique for frequency/urgency - works great
      Macrobid after sex
      Prilosec, continuous birth control pills
      synthroid .088mg, mucinex-d, restasis

Supplements: Desert Harvest Aloe vera, Cysta-q, prelief, magnesium and calcium, Vit D, flaxseed oil

Diag Mild IC Jan 11 but have had symptoms for 25 years. Also have GERD, TMJ, IBS-C, chronic dry eye syndrome, hashimotos thyroiditis, non-allergic rhinitis.

IC Diet Link: http://www.ic-network.com/diet/2009icdietlist.pdf
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC overview- http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?p=571592
      AUA 2011 Guidelines to diagnosing and treating IC PDF: http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf
      Great treatment flowchart on page 19 of the pdf

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for both your responses. I went back to the first Uro today to drop off a urine sample to be cultured so I guess I'll wait and see what the results are. But I'm also very glad that I'm going to a different Dr. for a second opinion. Whether I have IC or not, I know that something is wrong. I've been drinking nothing but water and milk. No alcohol, soda, coffee, etc. And I've also started to watch what I eat so maybe that will help some.

Hopefully I this second Dr. will be able to help me with my symptoms and give me some kind of a diagnosis.

Comment

Working...
        X