Bladder not Emptying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder not Emptying

Is it common to have your bladder not empty all the way with IC? I am new to IC and was diagnosed with it only a couple of weeks ago, so I am still learning about it. I know my bladder is not emptying all the way because when I go to the bathroom I can barely get anything to come out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    "Give what you have. To someone else it may be better than you dare to think."
    -Longfellow

History of IC, Vulvodynia, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, Polycystic Ovaries, and Cyst's on my Spine.
    Update as of 6/27/07- Endo, Adenomyosis & Polycystic Ovaries are gone because I had a Hysterectomy in May of 2005! Still battling IC and what was thought to be Vulvodynia, now thought to be PNE.
    Meds: Paxil 40 for IC, Clonazepam 1 for Restless Leg Syndrome, Seroquel 100 for Bipolar, and pain pills as needed.

You can find more info on me here:
    www.bellaperlina.etsy.com
    www.bellaperlina.blogspot.com

One of the worst things about IC is that sometimes the bladder just doesn't like urine at all --- if you're going to the bathroom very frequently, it may be that there just isn't much there.

If you feel you're retaining, I do suggest you talk to your doctor about this. One thing they can do is to have you urinate, then catheterize you to see how much urine is retained.

Sending warm healing thoughts,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Yup! retention stinks. Donna is right, please call the doc & let hime know. Wecome to the ICN Kathi
      One Day At A Time
      Kathi

Comment

Thank you! I go to my Urologist on Tuesday and will bring it up, along with the fact that my skin on my face is also becoming SO dry and flaky. I am so grateful to have everyone here to talk with!
        kissing
        -Longfellow

History of IC, Vulvodynia, Endometriosis, Adenomyosis, Polycystic Ovaries, and Cyst's on my Spine.
        Update as of 6/27/07- Endo, Adenomyosis & Polycystic Ovaries are gone because I had a Hysterectomy in May of 2005! Still battling IC and what was thought to be Vulvodynia, now thought to be PNE.
        Meds: Paxil 40 for IC, Clonazepam 1 for Restless Leg Syndrome, Seroquel 100 for Bipolar, and pain pills as needed.

Comment

Hi HIllary,
          I am embrassed to write this, but..... it helps a little.
          I sit on the commode on one hip, and pull my self apart as much as I can and it works sometimes.
          My face is red, but any help I can get I appreciate it. I hope you understand what I am saying.
          HUGS
          SUSAN
          Susan
          People may not remember exactly what "you did, or what you said, but- they will always remember how you made them feel"

Comment

Susan,
            Don't be embarrased. I appreciate your suggestion, and I will try it the next time I have to run to the bathroon! Thanks for your advice!
            grouphug
            -Longfellow

Comment

I feel your pain... I have some retention too. Definitely mention your possible retention to your urologist.

Your doc may not even need to catheterize you to find out how much you're retaining--- my uro has this really cool ultrasound machine right there in the exam room that he uses for measuring residual (retained) urine. If they do this, they ask you to go pee, and then you come back in the exam room. The nurse puts a bit of jelly on your lower abdomen and runs a probe over it gently. The machine prints out a calculation of how much urine is still in your bladder!! The whole process takes about 5 minutes and is pain-free.

Sending hugs,
              Jen grouphug grouphug
              Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
              *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
              *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
              *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Jen,
                I am pretty sure my Urologist has an Ultrasound in his office, so hopefully he will do it that way, because I would rather not be catherized. Do you know what the treatment is if I am not emptying my bladder all the way? Take care!
                grouphug
                -Longfellow

Comment

My physical therapist reccomends "double voiding". After you are finished peeing, gently rock side to side and back to front (while still sitting on toilet) several times. Relax and then try to pee again. Don't push or strain.

Nicole

Comment

Nicole,
                    That is a good idea as well, I will definately give it a try. Thanks for your help!
                    grouphug
                    -Longfellow

Comment

here is what i do get get the urine out i have to stand up and just bend over just a little and that seems to help the urine come out
                      second thing I will try is sit in a warm tub of water and let it come out then take a shower and wash the tub well.
                      if all comes to wrose i take dmso at home i will cath my self to make it come out.
                      but truly the only way i feel it comes all out is when i cath my self. :o eek
                      i hope this helps some.
                      praying for you to have a better tomorrow. angel
                      Rhonda
                      Medicine taken daily or as needed:
                      1. Heaprin and Marcaine rescue installment 1 to 3x daily as needed.
                      2. MS.Cotin 100mg 3x daily
                      3. MSIR 30mg 1 or 2 every 4-6hrs as needed for breakthrew pain.
                      4. Fentanyl 100 mg Change every 48hrs.
                      5. Gentamicin 80mg install after each rescue treatment
                      5 Leviquin 500mg self start as needed.
                      6. Klonopin 1 or 2 daily as needed.
                      7. Prosed/DS as 1 every 6hrs as needed.

I have IC, but IC doesn't have me anymore!

Comment

Rhonda,
                        Let me thank you for that advice! I can't believe all of the responses I have gotten, I can't express my appreciation enough!
                        grouphug
                        -Longfellow

Comment

There are several different medications that can help you to relax so you can urinate. Most of them are also used for men who have this problem, but they work for women too. The ones that immediately come to mind are hytrin, curdura, flomax --- I know there are others.

Warm hugs,
                          Donna
                          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I was reading somewhere about that IC makes the bladder shink and that it make it where you can't hold much urine.
                            Angela aka sleepyangel30

Comment

200cc's is left in my bladder after I urinate. my uro did a test on my bladder that showed that is that bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X