Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detrol LA or Ditropan XL

Hi,
    I know that everyone is different, but I'm trying to make a decision as to if I want to take Ditropan XL. Before my dx for IC, I was on Detrol LA and I didn't really feel that it helped me, in fact I felt that I had retention from it after awhile I felt like it caused pressure also.

I told this to my Uro and he gave me the Ditropax XL to take if I felt like I was flaring.

I don't have pain with my IC (thank god!), but this feeling that I've got to go can drive me crazy. When I do go, (I make myself wait at least an hour in between times), I feel that I don't have any trouble getting it going or out, but I always have this symptom that I need to go or could go. The pressure is also low, not in my abdomen.

Any advice or exprience you want to share would be appreciated!

I am taking Elmiron. Has this eventually taken the frequency away for anyone?

Thanks!
    Currently taking Elmiron 3 times a day, Ditropan XL 10 mg, 1 time a day, Elavil 10 mg, 1 time a day.

I also use a vaginal cream once a week and I follow an IC diet and use Prelief.

I tried the Detrol LA and then switched to Ditropan XL. The Ditropan has helped me with the frequency so I'm staying with it. I hope this helps.
    Pam

Comment

Hi Evea,
      I tried detrol la with no significant good results. I switched to ditropan xl and it worked right away. I would definitely give it a try.
      Cath
      One day at a time

Comment

Hi,

I haven't tried either (yet) so I'm sorry that I can't help you out with your qeustion at this time. However, I do have a question about both of these meds so I thought I should post here.

I still have that 'always have to go' even though my bladder is empty feeling and have exhausted other meds so this is the only one left. However, and this is my concern, both of these can cause rapid heartbeat (tachycardia) which I'm already very prone to. Just caffeine will get my heart racing & pounding! I asked the pharmacist & the number of people that have this side effect is >5% which I thought was low but she said was high (b/c with most drugs the incidence of side effects are <1%). Also, apparantly it is written in the fact sheet: "rapid heartbeat - severe"....I was also told by the pharmacist that these meds can be hard to tolerate.

so, I'm just wondering if anyone has found this to be a problem or have had other nasty side effects with either of these med?

Thanks,
        Shelley

Comment

I have to take protonix for my stomach everyday and even with this, the first 3 days on Ditropan
          I had indigestion pretty bad. It went away after 3 days. I also worried about the rapid heartbeat because I do have problems with lots of medicines but the Ditropan has been ok.
          Pam

Comment

Has anyone found that ditropan XL works better than the oxytrol patch for the pressure/full bladder all the time feeling? What has worked best? Is anyone taking anything different that has worked really well for this feeling?

Comment

Does anyone know if the Oxatr grouphug ol patch can also cause rapid heartbeat??? I have been using the patch and am on meds for rapid heartbeat. Didn't
              know there was any side affect that might cause
              a problem. Thanks for any answer.
              (((HUGS))) Rita

Comment

Ditropan XL made me too sleepy to function during the day & gave me a white coating all over my tongue. So, I take regular Ditropan 5mg at night & am not on anything during the day.

Used Detrol LA 2mg before I got IC with no side effects. When I first got IC it didn't help. Don't know about now, haven't tried it since then.

Good luck!
                Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
                I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
                Source - Pinterest
                "

Current treatments:
                -IC diet
                -Elavil 50mg at night
                -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
                -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
                -Pyridium if needed,
                -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
                -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
                -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
                -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
                -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
                -Managing stress= VERY important!
                -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

I use the oxytrol patch for urgency/frequency. It definitely helps me. Without any of these meds, I have a constant urge to urinate, bladder spasms, and severe, painful pressure.

In the past, I have taken detrol LA, ditropan, and urispas. Can't tolerate detrol LA or ditropan b/c of side effects. The oxytrol patch has the same active ingredient as ditropan, but I can tolerate it much better. That's because the dosing is more constant with the patch.

Urispas works o.k., but I have to take 3 pills a day.

I haven't had any problems with rapid heart beat.

Meds are really trial and error for each one of us. I hope you find something that works for you.

Nicole

Comment

I liked the Oxytrol patch, but then developed a skin reaction to it! I wasn't all that surprised, as I have documented allergies to adhesives and tapes used in the medical field to tape down IV's, etc, but I was kind of depressed about it all the same... it was helping.

I'm doing a comparison between oral Ditropan and Detrol right now and don't have any clear-cut results yet...

Jen
                    Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
                    *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
                    *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
                    *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I have tried all of the above. The Detrol LA gave me no relief. The Oxytrol patch gave me no noticeable relief. The Ditropan XL gives me significant relief, but only after my doctor raised the dose to 30 mg./day, which is a lot. The bad part is that I have some pretty severe side effects from the Ditropan XL (sleepiness, dry mouth, nausea). My dr. tried to bring me up to the 30 mg. dose slowly to see if the side effects would subside. I started with one Oxytrol patch , then two Oxytrol patches, then one 15 mg. Ditropan XL, and finally no patches and 30 mg. Ditropan XL. No relief came until the 30 mg. oral dose. So now I'm faced with which is worse? The side effects of the rx or the spasms and pain of the IC. My urgologist says that I spasm so badly that she calls them contractions. Ouch!! :eek: I experience urethal and bladder spasms. So, I don't know if that helps much, but at least we're sharing information. :blink:

Take care, Sesheta
                      Every day I pray for the courage of my convictions.

"Kind words can be short and easy -- their echo infinite." -- Mother Teresa

Comment

Working...
                      X