Nocturia getting worse.........meds not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandy,
    Thank you for taking the time to write back. I have tried several different types of antidepressants over the years and some just didnt do it for me or I had adverse reactions. I finally started taking the Effexor and I do very good on it and it makes me feel better. That is one reason I hate to go off of it but I also want to quit smoking so I am going to try the Wellbutrin and see what happens. If it doesnt work good for my depression I will go back on the Effexor. You can talk to your doctor about another antidepressant. I know alot of people (from working in health care before) that did well on Paxil. I thought that maybe your urologist would put you on some kind of antispasmotic or something for that retention. When are you going to have the hydrodistention, cysto and the instills done? Let me know how things are going. Bedtime is a bad time for me before I go to sleep too, too quiet and too much time for things to mull over in your mind. I started taking my meds to help me sleep a little before I go to bed so they have a little time to kick in before bedtime. Will talk to you soon. Susan

Comment

I also have fibro so I know what it is like to get one thing under control to have the other flare. Some feel it is one illness. My Uro does.
      The one thing I did not see mention of is Elavil. A small amount before bed makes a difference. It is given for both illnesses.
      It is difficult to get started but we can help.
      Ginny

Comment

Jenny,
        I take Atarax for mast cells at bedtime and it really helps with the sleeping and pain. I consider it one of the medicines that give me the best results for fighting IC. Susan

Comment

I have been reading your post & understand fully where you are comming from. Although I am from Australia & not familuar with alot of the medications mentioned on this site I thought I would let you know about one that has been a saviour to me. Whilst listening to a current affairs program here a story caught my attention regarding a nasal spray used in young chidren(mainly) for bed wetting problems. The spray is designed to slow down the production of urine during the night. Althought I do have to have kidney test every 6mths the DR seams to think it's ok to use long term. I have been using this (MINIRIN NASAL SPRAY) for app 15mths. I still have to use sleeping tablets & pain Meds every night but this has reduced my once 15-30 trips to the loo to only about 5 a night.
          I am 33yrs old so I guesse for the right reason the can prescribe to any one.

good luck hope this can be of help. let me know
          Andrea. hi

Comment

Wow, I have been reading all the posts, this is my first time on this site. I have had IC for almost 30 years. I wasn't diagnosed until after 10 years of suffering.I started with Elmiron when it was still experiemental, that and Hytrin changed my life from thoughts of suicide to being able to cope. I have had many experimental treatments, currently take hytrin, Elmiron, hydroxizine, and urised, cipro and hyosycomine and vicodin as needed. I also self-cath as needed. I am currently having a diffiuclt flare-up, but I want everyone to know that the most effective way of coping is through a positive attitude. I never give up and although I keep up on all research developments I do not focus on the disease. I know where every bathroom is in california, and some days have spent hours in them, I know more than my doctor, and knowing some much about the disease, the symptoms, related problems and treatments is very empowering and also helpful in seeking treatment.I have had back surgery due to damaged discs, this did not help my bladder as expected. The DMSO helped for a while, the heparin did not. I was sleep deprived until my docotr prescribed an antihistime at bedtime, I also have severe allergies, and lots of muscle pain. When it gets bad, I take a small amount of vicodin. Some mornings I go to work late because I need an extra hour of sleep. Most things I have tried have helped a little.I don't drink any alcohol or sodas, or eat onions, spice, or peppers, I have tried the ic diet with no change. You can learn to deal with anything and life can still be wonderful!

Comment

Sandy,
              I havent been on the message board for awhile and was just wondering how you are doing? I didnt do too hot on the Wellbutrin for the smoking. I tapered off of the Effexor and started the Wellbutrin and I got so jittery and anxious feeling. I called my pharmacist and doctor and considering that I had tried several antidepressants in order to find the right one that would help me and not give me alot of side effects it was easier to stay with what I was taking so I went back on the Effexor. With discontinuing the Ditropan and doing the catheter at bedtime I am sleeping better, not great but at least I am not up most nights until 4 or 5 in the morning. It was like that every night and now it is "now and then." I just had that happen after having sexual intercourse and spent the last two nights up until 4 and 5 and finally had to do a self catherization in the middle of the night. It was from spasms I think after having intercourse. It seems like over the winter my depression got so much worse but we had a hard winter here and it was hard to get out and do anything so I am hoping for spring. I have always worked and it has been hard to get used to not having to do so but I have gotten "comfortable being at home," and feel so much better physically because of it. Being in the medical field previously I miss not being able to help other people so I thought that maybe by coming to the message board I could help someone in some way and it would make me feel better about myself, which it does. Let me know how you are doing. Susan

Comment

Working...
              X