No announcement yet.

WOMAN'S DAY MAGAZINE has IC article!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I went out and bought it as well. It sure was a short article. I wanted them to go into more detail. Oh well! Any article is better than none.
    Meds I take:
    Elmiron, Elavil, Vagifem- for IC
    Albuterol, Flovent, Atrovent- for Asthma and lung problems
    Paxil, Clonazepam- for depression and Anxiety
    Atenolol- for rapid heart rate
    Nexium- for Gerd
    Levothyroxin- for Hypothyroidism
    Lasix, Pottasium- for edema
    Lipitor- for High Cholesterol
    I coated aspirin
    02 at bedtime

Comment

Woman's Day article

I saw the article too and was surprised to see it in such a "main stream" magazine. I also agree w/some others that posted saying they wish the article had more info in it. She did state that she had moved to MI and that's where I'm from, it would have been great if she would have mentioned the name of her dr. here.

I'm beginning to believe that IC isn't as "rare" as it's made out to be. I have talked to several women who are around my age, 42 and older who after hearing about my problems have said that they were experiencing some bladder/urinary issues, but they just were putting off going to the dr for whatever reason. Most of these women had/have also experience some type of menopausal symptoms too but haven't seen a dr. I find the more you are open to talking about whats going on w/you the more others open up too. No one wants to be alone or think that their situation is unique or weird. But it's an embarrassing thing for most people to bring up.

I still haven't been officially diagnosed w/IC. I don't have the severe pain, mostly frequency/urgency. And alot of urethral irritation. Which they call spasms. The lorazepam keeps it pretty much in check. I did get my 3rd UTI a couple weeks ago since this all started in Dec '05. I am in premature menopause and have hormonal issues. I saw a Vulvar dr last week and she thinks I have Vulvalgodynia (sp) sorry. I just don't think I do have it. The urologist referred me to her. She wants me to stop the elavil and start Neurontin. I'm afraid to. They gave me Neurontin a few yrs ago for back pain and it did nothing. So I'm very skeptical about it. She says b/c I can't tolerate the elavil at a much higher level I need to switch. But this low dose is just fine for me now, 12.5mg. I will wait to speak w/my urologist about it in 2 weeks I think before I change anything. I think alot of my problem is PFD, but I can't get a dr to take me serious. I don't know why?? How can I get cked for that? The lorazepam calms down the spasms (that's what they call it) and it must be the pelvic muscles that are in spasm, right?? So why not try to physically treat those muscles rather than throw drugs at it?? The lorazepam is not curing it, just treating the symptoms. Sorry to ramble on here, I guess I'm just thinking out loud!

Dona

Comment

I'm new here so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is PFD? I have IC, just found out in Jan. I don't have alot of the pain that I hear about, but I do have the frequency and urgency and a feeling like my insides are falling out. I have been taking Clonazepam and it does seem to calm everything down. Like you said I guess it is relaxing the spasms and myself at the same time. I have the Elavil, just haven't gotten up enough courage to try it yet. I do not like meds and I seem to react to all of them. I love this board and all of the info that I have received from it. Thank you everyone for sharing!!!!!!

Comment

PFD is pelvic floor dysfunction.

Comment

I just went and read the article on IC in woman's day. While I'm glad that there's any article in there at all, I'm disappointed. It wasn't very informative like I'd hoped it would be. I wish there was some way to get across to everybody how bad this really is. "Worse than childbirth" is a good start, but I don't think that a lot of people recognize the emotional effects this has on all of us. If it would have been me, I would have stressed how badly this effects everyday life and all of our plans. My life literally revolves around a toilet!!!!

Comment

Woman's Day for April 1, 2007

I was eating lunch and flipping through and saw "It was worse than childbirth," ... scan down ... "UTI" and then it hit me, "Yees!" They are talking with people who have what I have. The cover -- ironically enough -- has on it "Easy, Rich Chocolate Desserts." It's in grocery stores now -- well, at least here in Dayton, Ohio.

You know, I was just thinking, "Why hasn't one of my women's magazines covered this one?" to boot!

(Side note: Think of me, pray for me today. I have to have my first MRI of head and neck for migraine/tension headache. These have been every day since Feb. 15 )
              Blessings, Susan

IC -- August 2006 Dx cysto w/ hydro. Treatment: Prosed DS as needed, Prelief, Elmiron 100 mg in morning/ 200 mg. at night before bed, hydroxyzine 25 mg at night

Vulvar Vestibulitis -- Dx February 2007

Migraine -- started 1985-89, progressed in 2002 and worsened at end of 2006 with onset of TMJ disfunction.

TMJ Disfunction --clenching/grinding my teeth at night. Dx December 2006

Fibromyalgia -- Dx April 2008

Mild depression/anxiety disorder
              (Not completely cured, but on-so-much better. :woohoo

"But He knows the way that I take; when He has tested me, I will come forth as gold." (Job 23:10 NIV)

Comment

Susie

Hi Neighbor, I live about 30 miles north of Dayton. Which issue is the article in? I sent my husband to the store last night to get the magazine thinking it would be in the March issue but he said they only had April's. I don't know why he just didn't buy that one? Oh, I just saw where you did say Aprol issue....duh!

Anyway, hope to hear from you soon, God Bless you on your MRI. I just had one a few months agao and now I have to see a neurologist, they found what may be a new disease, I'm really frightened about it, But hey, what ever it is I already have the symptom, I'll just get a new disease name to add to all the other diseases I have.

Blessings,
                MARY

Serenity isn't freedom from the storm.....it's peace within the storm.....I had my sick bladder removed Jan 7th 2010.....Even though I had many complications.......I would do it again in a moment.....I have no regrets......Sunflowers in memory of my sister who passed March 14th 2010......they were her favorite....

Comment

Working...
                X