Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you have "CHRONIC INFLAMMATION" , BUT NOT HAVE IC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to a urogynecologist I talked to inflammation is very common in IC-diagnosed patients. Some of us know that although we were told we did not have bacteria and infection, a broth culture done later did show bacteria and we responded to the right antibiotic. The typical lab culture (agar plate) does not always find every possible species of bacteria since some are too slow-growing and fastidious to grow on an agar plate in 24-48 hours. No one has ruled out a bacterial infection, which could explain inflammation, but they only claim that their cultures do not find bacteria. I know many who have been found to have bacteria, with their inflammation, via a more extensive broth culture. Researchers are working on better culturing since they know the agar plate is not always adequate. It has been in use over 50 years so it is time for new technology.

Martha F

Comment

Wow, that is pretty interesting. Now only try to pound that into the heads of these uro's and urogyne's. They dont believe IC has anything to do with infection or bacteria and they solely rely on their cultures.
      I agree they really need to get with the program. My gastro doc has said that urology is still in the dark ages.. I wish they would do more research on this disease.
      Jen

Comment

Hopefully better testing is on the way. Read this abstract about a new device being developed at UCLA:
        http://jcm.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/2/561

I wrote to a researcher telling him that I was glad this was in the works since current testing was not adequate. He responded "I couldn't agree more". They hope to be able to find more than E. coli that most doctors think is about the only cause of UTIs. There are many other species of bacteria that can travel to the bladder, especially in women. In over 100 years that they have known about IC, or "Hunner's ulcers" as it was called in the beginning, they have been looking for a cause. All we have heard so far are about symptoms and treatments for symptoms. Something has to be causing the inflammation, frequency, pain and urgency, and sometimes ulcers. We now know that stomach ulcers are caused by bacterial infection.

Martha F

Comment

Kickme, what have you been diagnosed with? Also, do you have symptoms of IC? I have also heard that you can have IC with a perfectly normal looking bladder.

Comment

Working...
          X