• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many here are "highly sensitive people?"

I bet most of us are!

Are You Highly Sensitive?

A Self-Test

Copyright, Elaine N. Aron, 1996

Instructions: Answer each question according to the way you personally feel. Check the box if it is at least somewhat true for you; leave unchecked if it is not very true or not at all true for you.

If you are a parent trying to eveluate your child, please use the test "Is Your Child Highly Sensitive?"
    I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
    I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
    Other people's moods affect me.
    I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
    I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
    I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
    I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
    I have a rich,complex inner life.
    I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
    I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
    My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
    I am conscientious.
    I startle easily.
    I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.
    When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
    I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
    I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
    I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
    I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
    Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
    Changes in my life shake me up.
    I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
    I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once.
    I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
    I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
    When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
    When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.

If you wish to use this questionnaire for psychological research, you may, but we recommend that you use a 1 to 7 scale, from 1, "not at all," through 4, "moderately," to 7, "extremely" and the longer, 27-item version, found in the article, Elaine N. Aron and Arthur Aron, "Sensory-Processing Sensitivity and Its Relation to Introversion and Emotionality," Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 1997, Vol. 73, No. 2, 345-368.

Join Our Mailing List
    [top]

Last updated on February 15, 2007
    Copyright © 1999-2007 Elaine N. Aron, Ph.D. — All rights reserved.

thats pretty interesting. I only fall under 4 or 5 of the listed items.. I think the last years has made me a much stronget person.
    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

It describes me to a T - especially the strong "startle" response (I jump out of my skin if someone sneaks up on me) I hate loud noises and bright light/sunshine. Ugh!

Comment

Wow I fit quite a few of these also........interesting!

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
        Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
        Dx'd Hypothyroid
        Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
        June 2007
        Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
        First Cysto 1979
        First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
        Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
        Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
        Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
        Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
        Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
        Bladder surgery 2000
        Dx'd: IBS 2000
        Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
        Laminectomy 1989
        Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
        I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

I gave a "yes" to about 11 of those.
          Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

I'm a yes to 15 of them. Mostly the loud noises and too much going on around me part. Drives me insane to be in a loud room, I can't concentrate on any one particular voice so I end up just hearing a lot of noise. I've always known that I was a sensitive person.

Comment

I definitely fit most of the qualities. My problem is that my sensitivities make me get extremely crabby, especially to unwanted smells and when others are not as careful about my feelings as I am about theirs. This is the downside.

Colleen
              Diagnosed October 2006
              Medications
              Percocet
              Hydroxine
              Elmiron
              Monthly installations

Comment

hmmm...i answered yes to a whopping 24 of those...

sensitive?? just a bit!!
                (Added by ICNMgrJill on 5/19/08. I am sad to share that Verdicries (aka Tracy) lost her life in a tragic accident just a few days ago. We will miss her support, her encouragement, her sense of humor and, of course, the joy that she found as a mother and wife).

Tracy ~ 29 years old with Toxoplasmosis (from birth), Fibro/CFS (since age 13...ouch), severe IC, IBS-D, severe PFD (surgery made it even worse), vulvodynia, hiatal hernia, GERD, ulcers, severe gastritis, numbness/tingling in extremeties, pelvic nerve damage--mainly urethral, urinary retention, pelvic reconstruction 7.10.07 (fixed rectocele, rectal prolapse, lifted bladder, urethra, uterus, and repaired vaginal walls), Raynaud's, 2 severely herniated discs in neck and one in low back, anemia, PCOS, anxiety/depression/panic attacks (since forever). Still having major bowel problems (inability to empty rectum...any ideas?? ).

I'd like to be on House, MD as a medical mystery.

Married to Craig, a saint amongst men...who puts up with me and my eccentricities...

Connor & Mommy by the tree:

Connor with Santa...so happy!

I take: LIQUID Atarax, Flomax, Soma (yet again), acidophilus, Glucosamine/Chondroitin with MSM & collagen, d-mannose. MAJOR flare from Cystoprotek! Re-trying freeze dried aloe vera w/some decent results!

Tried and failed: Elavil, Ultram, Prosed DS, Benadryl, Bentyl, Valium, Ativan, Zanaflex, Librax, Sanctura (all caused retention among other things), bladder instills (owwwwww!), Elmiron (allergic-throat tightening). Failed Interstim-no feeling in sacral nerves...

I'm allergic to penicillan, sulfa, reglan, quinolones, clindamycin, and now LATEX!

Comment

Hmm, I have 23 yesses. But people who know me tend to say I'm a strong person. I don't think that strong and sensitive are opposites. The things that don't bother me are having people watch me work, or talking in front of a group. No problems with those. But those physical sensitivities -- lights, noise, crowds -- oh, those I have in abundance. And my daughter is the same way. Interesting.
                  Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                  Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I would say yes to most of those and i would add that I do better when I stick to a routine as well. If you take me out of my element, then I tend to get frazzled fairly easily. I am sometimes overly-sensitive to things that I am not accustomed to.
                    ....And sometimes other people say that I am easily paranoid about things if we're getting really honest here...
                    There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle, or to be the mirror that reflects it.

Comment

Yes to all.

Comment

I think what really stuck out to me mostly are,

Having some privacy, always been like this. Radios, TV, phones, everythings goes off and everyone is out of the house or quiet. Just need that peace and quiet time alone.

Sending hugs, Trishann

Comment

This are the ones I identified with (especially the caffeine one, lound noises, avoid making mistakes, and the HUNGER one!)

Originally posted by izazen View Post
                          I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
                          Other people's moods affect me.
                          I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
                          I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
                          I am conscientious.
                          When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
                          I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
                          Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
                          Changes in my life shake me up.
                          I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
                          I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
                          [SIZE="1"][B]Be well, Alyssa :hi:[/B]

[

Comment

Working...
                          X