what to do about retention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what to do about retention?

i was wondering if they have any treatments for retention.nobody has mentioned it to me,and i have had retention problems since my hydro/cysto back in feb.they have been testing me the last few times to see how much i have left over after voiding,and its always been between 120cc's and 200 cc's.i have yet to hear anyone mention anything we can do about that.thanks in advance for any info.jamie

The retenion could be due to PFD.. I know I have it because I get retention alot, but have found ways to relax those muscles..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

they actually mentioned that they think i have pfd,haven't yet had the diagnosis yet tho.thanks

Comment

You could... Try sitting and feeling the muscles right under you butt, kind where the crease is or you inner thighs.. press on that muscle and see if it hurts kind of like a burning feeling.. Mine feels like its on fire...
        I have my hubby rubb that area it helps the retnetion so much.. also I have found that azo or pyridium makes me have retention..
        Hugs
        Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Diet Reference Sheet:

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
        Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
        Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

well i just tried that and i didn't feel anything,don't know if i did it the wrong place or what??? today the new uro i was trying did a very rough pelvic and rectal on me!!!! it hurt so bad i wanted to kick him in the you know what!!!these last few days my bladder and vagina have been through he**,with the docs and the er trip,i just want everyone to stop touching me... so there are no meds or anything to help with retention?? i was beginning to wonder if my docs were just not worrying about it,and i am sick of all of this,ya know? i am sure everyone does.

Comment

I wish there was something for retention.. I dont know the doctor has never gave me anything..If that area does not hurt that does not mean you dont have it.. Have you read this..

What is pelvic floor dysfunction (PFD)? This is non-neurogenic, uncoordinated behavior of the pelvic floor musculature. This is not like Parkinson’s or multiple sclerosis. This is a person who has no obvious neurological disease and the muscle function is uncoordinated. normally the bladder sits in a funnel of muscle. When one voids, the muscle of the bladder contracts, thereby forcing out urine. At the same time, the muscles of the pelvic floor, the levator muscles, and the muscles of the GU diaphragm have to relax. That is the normal process of voiding; it is a complex neurological mechanism. When this happens, there is a good stream of urine. In a patient with PFD, the bladder contracts and the muscles open up, but they are in spasm. They are not working properly. They open and urine does come out, but this can lead to disruptive symptoms.

The symptoms of PFD are similar to IC. A patient with IC typically has pelvic pain, the pain often worsens with bladder filling. They usually have day and nighttime urination, and their symptoms are affected by foods, in many instances. The patients who have PFD have similar complaints with a subtle difference (keep in mind that PFD can coexist with IC): IC should not normally result in a poor urinary flow rate. One exception is that if you are urinating tiny volumes each time, you will never be able to generate a good force of the urine stream. If you still have a poor urinary flow rate, that is suggestive of something else going on. In a male, you have to consider the presence of the prostate gland, which can also be causing problems. The first focus of attention in a male is typically on the prostate as a cause of blockage.

Constipation can also exist in a patient with PFD. Constipation occurs for the same reasons a patient will have problems with urination; the patient tries to push out the bowel movement, but the muscles around the anus and the pelvic floor muscles are contracting at the same time. The stool sits in the rectal vault.

There are two different types of complaints regarding intercourse: either there is terrible pain during intercourse because the penis is coming directly into the rigid muscles, or there is discomfort the day later. This is commonly seen in both IC and PFD patients.

Many patients have the sense of incomplete bladder emptying. They feel like they have to void again as soon as they are finished. Some patients cannot empty their bladder. Usually patients who have just PFD and no significant IC do not have nighttime frequency. They just have frequency during the day. There is also a typical history of straining with urination. It is interesting to see the number of patients who say they don’t strain, yet during testing that is performed, they are straining quite a bit.

Diet Reference Sheet:

Meds I have Tried:

Comment

retention

If you are truly retaining a lot of urine the doc can cath you. However with Ic it's so hard to know if it's just a feeling (b/c of all the damage and inflammation) or if it's a real emergency. If a person without IC had retention they would just cath you and let it drain out. (this is what my doctor told me anyway). One thing you can do RIGHT NOW to feel some relief is get in a HOT HOT bathtub with the water as hot as you can stand it. This helps me a lot. My doc said it can help relax the muscles and let out the pee, even without you trying to pee. I didn't really believe pee was coming out in the water though b/c I couldn't feel anything. I just did it b/c I knew it helped me feel a little better. Not perfect! But better. but then a couple days ago I had taken some AZO and you know it stains your pee super dark orangey color and b/c of this extreme color I looked down in the water and could actually see the color (ew gross i know) but that is how I realized it really does help. I hope it works for you! Lee Ann
              Lee Ann
              Current Rx Meds:
              Atarax, Ditropan, Elmiron
              Prior to pregnancy: The above 3 meds PLUS Neurontin, Topamax, Loratadine, continuous OrthoCyclen, Lidocaine Patches PRN, Temazepam PRN, & Vicodin PRN
              Hooray for babies!
              Misc. lifesavers: Hot baths, ThermaCare Heat Wraps, Ice Packs. The IC Diet has changed my life.
              Didn't work for me:
              Detrol LA, Amitryptiline, Morphine, Percocet, TENS unit, Interferential Pain Stimulator Unit, Hypogastric Plexus Nerve Block
              IC (Mod-Severe) since 1996

UPDATE: 5/21/08 Pregnancy and breastfeeding afterwards have alleviated my IC symptoms more than anything, EVER. Most days are 100% pain free & I now have normal frequency (as long as I take these 3 meds).

My little sweetie! Jack weighed 9 lbs 12 oz and was born via c-section on Feb. 28, 2008...

Comment

I have found that my retention improved a lot since I started taking a muscle relaxant. I take Klonapin, but there are lots of options. I don't think my retention was ever as bad as yours is, though.
                Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
                Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

Did you have the retention before the hydro? If not, then my guess it is the hydro that likely caused it. I sometimes feel like I dont get all my pee out too. There is one med called bethenochol ( I might have spelled this wrong).It is suppose to help with urinary retention.
                  What is your doc doing to treat it? I am sorry you are dealing with this. What an awful thing. It could be PFD, but if it just started after the hydro, then I would say that the hydro must have done something to cause this. Maybe with time it will get better. Big Hugs to you.
                  Jen

Comment

thanks so much everyone.wow i think i do have pfd,i have awful constipation too.i never really knew i had such retention problems until they started testing me everytime.i just always have to go.thanks for all the tips,i am going to take a bath after i get my little rascals to bed for thr night!!! it seems like i am just getting more and more illnesses instead of getting better. i knew i was diagnosed with severe ic,but man the pain is becoming unbearable now,and now all these other problems to go along with it.i just hope someone will start helping me with all this pain soon.once again thank you girls for all your help and support.i don't know what i would do without this site and everyone on here.i tell everyone i have never met such caring,honest and knowledgable women in my life.love ya all,jamie

Comment

oh i forgot,my uro put me on baclofen the other day,so maybe thats why(muscle relaxer)?

Comment

There are several different medications that will help relax those muscles to help you empty your bladder. Usually they are given to men for prostate enlargement, but they can also help females to empty their bladders.

Donna
                        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
                        X