Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where to ask this... pelvic ultrasound and 32 ounces of water to drink?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allies40
    replied
    Drink half and see if that's enough

I've had multiple ultrasounds because of my heavy periods. My technician said to me to drink half during that time, sure enough, by the time the appointment rolled around, my bladder was already full, since us IC women have small bladders, half isn't a problem. Also, I'm never able to totally empty my bladder the first time around, so I still had a full bladder on the second part of the test.
    The 32 once thing is protocal, I think about all the women out there who have big bladders and can hold that much without a problem. Certaintly, that's not me!
    Good luck!
    -Allison

Leave a comment:

• katjonez
    replied
    catheter

If you decide to go the catheter route, you may want to ask for a pediatric catheter. When I was doing the instillations of heparin and DMSO the doctor recommended that after I had a very bad time. I'm sure you would have to arrange it before hand. I know it helped me even though I had to stop the treatments.
    I have had many scans like this and I remember well the mad dash for the bathroom afterwards. If I ever have to do it again I think I will try cutting the water down. They are always running late !
    Good luck I hope it all goes well
    Katherine

Leave a comment:

• ltlmiss
    replied
    Just like Born To Swim said, there is such thing as a transvaginal ultrasound. Personally, drinking that much water is not an option for me, I wont do it. I don't have the capacity in my bladder to hold that much water anyways. A gulp would do it for me!!! It would be a good idea to ask about it, it would save you alot of pain!! It did for me!

Leave a comment:

• LauraLuLu
    replied
    I had one recently because I was being tested for 'suspected endo' (which could have been IC all along... anyways) I was terrified about the damn thing coz I KNEW for a FACT that it would be physically impossible for me to do!!!

So what I did was I started drinking bottled water 2 hours before the test, just sips so my bladder wouldn't fill too fast, then in the hour before the test I took bigger swigs. I can't remember how much I drank but it didn't 'go to plan' as what happened was by the time my Mum was parking I couldn't even wait for her to park, I had to get out of the car and RUN STRAIGHT TO THE LOO!!!!! ahahhahahahahaha!!!! And this was me trying to do it slowly, my own way, not even following the rules- think I'd only drank about 75cl!!

So I went to the loo straight away. But I didn't do a full wee, I just weed out what felt like about half and then went and sat back down, thinking well there's still half an hour so by then my bladder will be full again.

Anyway THEN they came and got me EARLY!!! RIGHT AFTER I JUST HAD THE WEE!!! I was like nooooooooooooo! Convinced it wouldn't be full enough- but IT WAS!

So, I reckon it doesn't need to be as full as they make out in those guidelines!! So, I'm sure if you just go with your own body and don't let yourself get too uncomfortable, you will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• HGC
    replied
    I have had quite a few pelvic sonograms and the last one I had when they told me to drink 32 ounces of water prior to coming in I told them that I have IC and that my Dr. said they wouldn't be able to see anything since my bladder would be in complete spasm. They told me to come in and start drinking when I got there. Well I walked in, took 2 sips of water and they called me in. I told them I didn't drink anything and they were able to do the sonogram without any problems. The Dr. who did the sonogram told me you don't really need that much water to see what's going on. Now maybe this is just his opinion but I did have the sonogram without drinking any water and they were able to see all of my organs just fine. Makes me wonder if you really need to drink any water at all. Again this is just my experience.

Leave a comment:

• lauriecircle
    replied
    I simply can not do ultrasounds with the full bladder, it is pure torture and my OB understands that. He says you get just as good a shot with a transvaginal ultrasound and although this is no walk in the park with endo, it is still WAY better than a full bladder, ask if you can't do that instead. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• L. Thomas
    replied
    When I had a pelvic ultrasound 4 years ago I wan't asked to drink any water and they didn't fill my bladder. I had the ultrasound because I was having breakover bleeding with HRT. The ultrasound showed cyst and endometrial hyperplasia..just a big word to say I was in menapause and the uterus was not shedding the lining. It was just getting bigger and bigger.

Leave a comment:

• kari1980
    replied
    Before I knew I had IC I had an ultrasound done and I thought I was just going to die on the table! My bladder was in such pain. Now for the past 10 years anytime I need an ultrasound I will only do the trans vaginal one. They put a probe just a little ways in you, which isn't the greatest either, but I find it better then having to deal with the stress of holding the water and then them pusing on my stomach with the probe while I'm full! It works best for me, maybe you can request the vaginal one?

Kari

Leave a comment:

• born2swim
    replied
    I was given 2 transvaginal ultrasounds recently... so I didn't have to drink anything for it (had to empty for it actually).

See if that is a better option for you?

Leave a comment:

• mary124
    replied
    When I had mine, I told them I had IC, and then they said drink as much as you can, and we will see what we can do, found out I didn't have to drink as much as they said, and didn't have to wait as long either. So Just explain what IC is and hopefully it will work out for you too.

Leave a comment:

• journalibra
    replied
    Thank you all who have responded. Your tips are all great. I am the type of person that never likes to break the rules of tests and stuff. However, I know now that when it comes to my bladder and IC I have to start to learn to make the appropriate adjustments so I am not in too much discomfort. Thank you all again! I am not as scared for this test now...

Leave a comment:

• icnmgrjill
    replied
    I've had several ultrasounds. The first time... I tried their approach (32 ounces, 2 hours before) which created way too much pain. I had to laugh when they said they were running 45 minutes late and that I should just try to pee out "half" of my bladder. I'm sorry... but that's just not possible.

I know my bladder and what I can tolerate. I drink just one glass about 45 minutes before the test. They've never said that it wasn't enough... I didn't suffer through the test and we were done quickly!!!

Whoever developed that protocol clearly doesn't understand the pain and discomfort of a full bladder in IC patients.

Jill

Leave a comment:

• mich2604
    replied
    I havent read all of your replies to your post-too tired right now.

BUT, i have had three pelvic ultra sounds done with IC, the first one went badly because i didnt know i had IC and drank Dasani water, which I now know flares me.

Some tips.

Go to the test site an hour before the test and start drinking the water there, this way you dont have to drive and walk with a full bladder.

2) drink a water that you know doesnt hurt your IC
    3) i saw that you take Urelle, also take this before the test, this will help with the bladder pain

The last one I had done wasnt so bad.

My periods were also irregular, and are just now normal again, and i really hope they stay this way.

Good luck with your test.

Leave a comment:

• Mel53H
    replied
    When I go to have ultrasounds, and have to drink a lot of water, I always bring a change of clothes just in case. You never know.........

I have been cathed for an ultrasound as well. Much easier than drinking all that dang water.

Leave a comment:

• lan
    replied
    I just had a pelvic ultrasound two weeks ago because a CAT scan showed probable cysts. My appointment was at 2:15 and they told me to drink 32 oz between 12:45 and 1:15. I told them that that I had IC but that I would do the best I could. I drank the 32 oz as instructed. I started to get uncomfortable around 1:45 and by 2:00 I was so unbearably uncomfortable that I had to stop at WAWA (I was on my way to the appointment) to use the restroom. I was so upset about this whole IC thing. I did not want to have to cancel the appointment. I bought a 24 oz. bottle of water at the WAWA at 2:00 and drank most of it before I reached the office at 2:15. I told the woman at the front desk that I was not able to hold the first 32 oz. and that I just started drinking again. I was so embarrassed and frustrated and fed-up with IC that I started to cry. She was very nice and had the technician take me back right away. The technician was really sweet and said that everyone (not just us with IC) has a hard time preparing for this test. I told her that I did not know if my bladder would be full since I just "went" at 2:00. And she said that she would take a look and if it wasn't full yet we would just wait a little while and try again. Thankfully it was full and I did not have to wait. Afterwards she showed me to the restroom immediately. I was so grateful for their kindness. I agree with GriffsMommy - maybe start a little later and drink a little less. And if you can't hold it - don't worry - hopefully they will be kind and just wait until your bladder is full.
    Sending Healing energy...lan

Leave a comment:

Working...
X