Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Question about IC and Hematuria (Wasn't sure where to post this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Question about IC and Hematuria (Wasn't sure where to post this)

Why is it when doing research on IC, they always include Hematuria as a possible symptom, but when I research Hematuria, they NEVER include IC as a possible cause?
    ~Diane
    dx: Spastic Bladder, chronic hematuria (that went away?), kidney stone... possible IC

Medical History:
    c-sections: 1988, 1991, 1997
    Viral Arthritis 1998 (Like RA, but went away!! )
    Pterygium & Dry Eyes since 2005
    Hysterectomy (Fibroids) 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me & Jerry ~ Sammy & Ryan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My symptoms started with blood in my urine. I have been diagnosed with IC because I continued to have symptoms (freq, burning, I no longer have blood - just that one time) after taking several antibiotics. My cultures never showed growth of bacteria. My mother is convinced that I do not have IC because she read somewhere that blood in the urine is not a symptom of IC. Have any others with IC ever had blood in their urine?
    Sudden onset of UTI like symtoms on Dec 27, 2006.
    Diagnosed with IC on March 12, 2007.
    Current Meds: 50mg Elavil
    "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" author unknown

Comment

Yes, I have it occasionally, and so do a lot of others. I don't know why a doc would say it's not a symptom of IC. Maybe it's not on the list of diagnostic criteria? Well, whatever, it still happens.
      Je vous souhaite de la joie, de la bonne santée, et tout ce qu'il y a de bon dans la vie.
      Wishing you happiness and good health, and all the best out of life.

Peace, Carolyn

Laura (11), Susannah (12 1/2) and Maman (that's me!), North Wildwood NJ, September 2007

On the Beach with IC

Comment

I think Berkshire Road is right; I checked and the NIDDK guidelines for IC do not include hematuria. However, these guidelines were actually set up for recruiting patients into research studies, and were never meant to be guidelines for actual diagnosis -- unfortunately many doctors misunderstood that and use them as diagnostic criteria, therefore many people are not diagnosed, and many others become confused about their symptoms. It really stinks!!

But, anyway, many ICers report hematuria, either microscopic or gross (able to be seen by the naked eye). I have microscopic blood on occasion. So, you're not alone....
        Jen

*Diagnosed with severe IC in 2004
        *Also diagnosed with PFD, fibromyalgia, chronic myofascial pain, IBS, migraines, allergies/asthma, dermatographism
        *Kept trying a million different treatments for all these things until I found what works, and I am doing okay these days with the help of a cocktail of medications and the InterStim, which was first placed in 2007. [I have had 2 revisions - one in 2010 when my battery died and had to be replaced, and one complete replacement (lead and generator) in 2012 after a fall on my stairs caused my lead to move.]
        *Current meds include Atarax (50mg at night), Lyrica (150mg twice a day), Xanax (0.5mg at night and as needed), Zanaflex (4mg at night), hydrocodone (10/325, every 6 hours as needed), Advair, Nasonex, Singulair (10mg at night), oral contraceptives, home instills containing Elmiron and Marcaine (as often as I need to do them).

**I am not a medical authority nor do I offer definitive medical advice. I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I usually have at least a trace amount of blood in my samples. The uro told me that blood is very irratating to the urinary track and can make symptoms worse.

Erika
          IC diagnosed officially via cysto/urodynamics 1/26/07

Grade II Endometriosis diagnosed via lap 12/11/07

"Fall down seven times, Stand up eight."

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think."

Current Treatments:
          Interstim Since 5/25/07!
          Birth Control

Comment

How I finally got dx was because I had such a large amount of blood in urine and they thought maybe cancer, my grandfather had died from kidney cancer, so they did cysto/hydro. That was 4 1/2 years ago, I went about 2 wks ago and had urine, still traces of blood and have off. dx of IC

Comment

I always have blood in my urine either gross or microscopic. I have Eosinophilic Cystitis. The symptoms of EC and IC are similar.

Comment

Trace blood

I always have trace blood in my urine. This kept me from getting a IC diagnosis for a few years, as it was always thought to be a UTI. I do have some urine specimans that dont have trace blood, but usually do, especially early in the day. It is usually +1 on a dip, and about 3-4 RBC under an electron microscope. If I am having urethral irritation, I will for sure have it.
                Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
                Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

Working...
                X