Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Question about IC and Hematuria (Wasn't sure where to post this)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sami4
    replied
    Trace blood

I always have trace blood in my urine. This kept me from getting a IC diagnosis for a few years, as it was always thought to be a UTI. I do have some urine specimans that dont have trace blood, but usually do, especially early in the day. It is usually +1 on a dip, and about 3-4 RBC under an electron microscope. If I am having urethral irritation, I will for sure have it.
    Sammi

Leave a comment:

• prettyeyes
    replied
    I always have blood in my urine either gross or microscopic. I have Eosinophilic Cystitis. The symptoms of EC and IC are similar.

Leave a comment:

• littlemyrn
    replied
    How I finally got dx was because I had such a large amount of blood in urine and they thought maybe cancer, my grandfather had died from kidney cancer, so they did cysto/hydro. That was 4 1/2 years ago, I went about 2 wks ago and had urine, still traces of blood and have off. dx of IC

Leave a comment:

• humpieumpumkin
    replied
    I usually have at least a trace amount of blood in my samples. The uro told me that blood is very irratating to the urinary track and can make symptoms worse.

Erika

Leave a comment:

• Sarojini
    replied
    I think Berkshire Road is right; I checked and the NIDDK guidelines for IC do not include hematuria. However, these guidelines were actually set up for recruiting patients into research studies, and were never meant to be guidelines for actual diagnosis -- unfortunately many doctors misunderstood that and use them as diagnostic criteria, therefore many people are not diagnosed, and many others become confused about their symptoms. It really stinks!!

But, anyway, many ICers report hematuria, either microscopic or gross (able to be seen by the naked eye). I have microscopic blood on occasion. So, you're not alone....

Leave a comment:

• Berkshire Road
    replied
    Yes, I have it occasionally, and so do a lot of others. I don't know why a doc would say it's not a symptom of IC. Maybe it's not on the list of diagnostic criteria? Well, whatever, it still happens.

Leave a comment:

• lan
    replied
    My symptoms started with blood in my urine. I have been diagnosed with IC because I continued to have symptoms (freq, burning, I no longer have blood - just that one time) after taking several antibiotics. My cultures never showed growth of bacteria. My mother is convinced that I do not have IC because she read somewhere that blood in the urine is not a symptom of IC. Have any others with IC ever had blood in their urine?

Leave a comment:

• General Question about IC and Hematuria (Wasn't sure where to post this)

Why is it when doing research on IC, they always include Hematuria as a possible symptom, but when I research Hematuria, they NEVER include IC as a possible cause?
Working...
X