Burning when urinating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning when urinating

Does anyone know why during a flare, the urine kind of burns. It kind of irritates the skin outside the bladder. It is so strange, it is like the urine has a high acidity. Does anyone have these symptoms and if so, has your doc explained them? It seems that if the acid level is high, that is what is causing the lining of the bladder to get irritated. I wonder why the acid is not neutralized by our body naturally

Gwendolyn, I don't have all the answers for you maybe someone else will but when I burn drinking more water, ice pack and pain medicine is what helps me through it. Also watch your acid intake especially at that time. Try if possible to relax.

Sending hugs, Trishann

Comment

Gwendolyn,

I don't have answers for you either, but I wanted to let you know that I REALLY burn when I flare. Trishann was right on with the suggestions. I also take otc pyridium (AZO and Uristat are the brand names). Pyridium seems to help a lot of my flare symptoms to a degree... although be careful to follow package instructions... too much pyridium can make a flare worse.

Comment

If I have burning, it means either that I'm not drinking enough or I have an infection.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I wish I knew the answer. I had burning when it started but more of my problems were w/ pressure, a different kind of pain and frequency.

I measure how much water I drink every day so I can be sure I'm having enough and it's at least 2 litres per day if not more.

Over the last several weeks, I've had gradually increasing burning during urination which lasts afterward, all day long and the more I go, the more it hurts. I've been checked for a UTI and there is no bacteria. This is now on top of the pain which feels like PFD. I'm going insane. They don't sell pyridium or AZO here in Australia. I haven't checked to see if I can import it or not.

Comment

I have burning that comes and goes.. I notice that its when I do not drink enough water.. See your urine gets more acidy when you do not comsume enough water.. Also it could be from something you ate..There are a lot of things you ca do to help. One is take peridium if you have it, if not uriset works pretty good and also I have heard that drinking baking soda and water helps another thing you could do is put the baking soda in your bath water it will soothe the burning.. And what works best for me is lidocain gel.. If you dont have it ask you doctor for a script. It works great..Hope this helps and you feel better soon..
            Hugs
            Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
            http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
            http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
            Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
            Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
            Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
            Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

the gals gave you great tips
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Thank you to all for the great tips!! I feel lucky to have people to turn to!!

Comment

Burning when urinating

Yes, I have this problem, too. It feels like my urine burns me. Also, I have been to the doctor multiple times and they say I have no infection during the time I feel the burning. Here's what has helped me:

- low oxalate diet -- This is a diet that eliminates foods that contain high levels of oxalate salts. This website is a good place to start learning about it: http://www.vulvarpainfoundation.org/. I don't stick strictly to the diet anymore. Through experimentation, I found the foods that annoy me and just don't eat them, or only have small amounts of them on occasion.

- calcium citrate supplement -- Calcium binds with oxalates so that they don't end up in your urine in the form that burns you. I take a calcium-magnesium citrate complex two times a day. When I am feeling bad, I take more than this (still staying within recommended dosage). (If you do this, I recommend calcium citrate as opposed to other forms of calcium, e.g. calcium carbonate, because research shows that it helps prevent calcium oxalate kidney stones from forming.)

- rinsing after urinating -- get a little squirt bottle at the drugstore and use it to rinse yourself after urinating.

- soothing barrier -- put some vitamin E oil or something similar on your external tissues that are affected. This helped in a couple ways: by soothing the tissues and by creating a barrier between my skin and the burning urine.

- colloidal oatmeal bath -- this is finely ground oatmeal. You can buy packets (Aveeno brand) or make it yourself (put oatmeal in a food processor for a long time). This *really* helps me when I am burning. It's my "rescue" treatment.

Hope this helps,
                  katie

Comment

Hi HollyD
                    Are you able to get Cantharis D6? I am not sure if they have this over there. I take this for the burning...well it helps sometimes. Keep on drinking the water. I have the same problem with the burning..worst after urinating....

Hugs
                    ANJA

Symptoms started November 2005
                    Diagnosed with IC in January 2007
                    Diagnosed with Vulvodynia 2006
                    Medications since July 2007: Gepan Installations now only every 2 months - Amitriptilyn(Elavil) 6 drops at night - Elmiron 200mg/day, Ranitic150 in the morning together with Desloratodine 5mg - Guaifenesin Capsules 300mg (for vulvodynia), Prelief with critical food
                    Vitamins/Minerals: Neutra C

Herbal Tea (Chamomille) 3 cups a day, sit baths with sea salt after sex - Hyalofemme Gel before sex - Multi GynActi Gel after sex - Macrobid 50mg after sex

Comment

for Anja

Hi Anja,

Is that a drug or a supplement, over the counter or scrip?

Thanks,
                      Holly

Comment

cantharis d6

Holly, well it is something homeopathic, its globuli..you take 5 of them and Cantharis is suppose to be for the burning and also bladder infections.
                        Not sure if you get it over there. Would be interested to find out. You should ask at a health store. If not..i can bring you some when i come over to Australia. Its worth a try....i am not sure though if it has helped me as i always take like 3 things at once ( out of panic ) and then never know what actually helped me.
                        I am going to try the oxalate diet as well...that makes totally sense!! I think we have vulvodynia with it. I always think too that my urin is pure poison for my skin/vulva and urethra!!!

Feel beta
                        ANJA

Symptoms started November 2005
                        Diagnosed with IC in January 2007
                        Diagnosed with Vulvodynia 2006
                        Medications since July 2007: Gepan Installations now only every 2 months - Amitriptilyn(Elavil) 6 drops at night - Elmiron 200mg/day, Ranitic150 in the morning together with Desloratodine 5mg - Guaifenesin Capsules 300mg (for vulvodynia), Prelief with critical food
                        Vitamins/Minerals: Neutra C

Herbal Tea (Chamomille) 3 cups a day, sit baths with sea salt after sex - Hyalofemme Gel before sex - Multi GynActi Gel after sex - Macrobid 50mg after sex

Comment

Thanks Anja.

If it's homeopathic it's likely they have it here. I'm writing this one down. You might have to see a homeopath to get it. I'll chase that down. The burning finally stopped for me. I'm guessing a combination of aloe vera and the acupressure I got. I imagine it will come again.

appreciate the info:-)
                          Holly

Comment

Working...
                          X