Urgency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgency?

Today I've been feeling bad urgency all day. I feel like I have to go, not horriblely, but vaguely. I know if I sit on the potty, not much will come out and I still feel that vague feeling, even after I'm done. I don't know why, I haven't eaten anything that would cause me a problem ( although I'm in my mid-cycle and that may attribute to it).
    I feel like calling my Uro tomorrow and ask her if there is anything I can do. The meds I have are Urelle, Lexapro, Tramadol and detrol. I've taken my daily lexapro and I'm probably going to take a tramadol but I think tramadol gives me retention.
    Do any of you knowledgable women have any suggestions? I've had a heating pad on when I'm sitting down but it's not doing much other then helping with pain.

My PFD therapist recommended the following when you have the feeling you have to "go" and know you don't have to:

Squeeze your butt tightly and quick release it 3 times.

Lift up your tummy with your hands and hold it up for a few seconds then release. Repeat.

Do a set of Kegels' - 5 quick squeezes of your anus (like you're holding back gas) and one 5 second hold of same muscles with a slow release. Do for 5 minutes. Then relax.

Place your hand softly over your bladder area and rest it there. Sit back and do low abdominal breathing - slowly -for 300 - 500 breaths. One trick I do is to take my pulse first - its usually pretty high - then take it again at the end of the exercise and it should be much lower - usually the "urge" will be gone or much diminished.
    Good luck.

Comment

Could you have an infection too? That is what I feel like when I have an infection. Hope it clears up quick!
      45 year old
      IC symptoms, all my life
      Severe endometriosis since age 13, hysterectomy Oct 06
      IC diagnosed 1/11/05, Interstim implant May 09

Comment

Hi Allie - I used to have that constant feeling of having to urinate all of the time. It was my main symptom. The Elavil that my doctor prescribed seems to make that feeling more vague/subdued so that it is much easier for me to tolerate. Now I still have a vague stingy/burny feeling in my urethra but I am often able to go a couple of hours before I feel like I need to go. I hope that you will be feeling better soon. Keeping you in my thoughts...Linda.
        Sudden onset of UTI like symtoms on Dec 27, 2006.
        Diagnosed with IC on March 12, 2007.
        Current Meds: 50mg Elavil
        "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle" author unknown

Comment

Thats been one of my main complaints all along. However its not as bothersome now as it used to be probably because I've gotten used to it.
          I was going to suggest doing a couple of rapid Kegels--this always helps me and was suggested to me by a knowledgeable PT.

Know you're not alone.
          Feel better soon!
          Diana
          (\__/)
          (o.O )
          (> < ) This is Bunny. He's on his way to world domination.

Comment

HI Allie, Elavil did wonders for me with the urgency/frequency feelings. If you haven't already tried it you might give it a try. Have you tried Freeze Dried Aloe Vera helps calm the bladder by coating the lining. Roxie

Double Spinal Cord Stimulator surgery 8/09
            Unsuccessful MiniArc sling surgery 12/07
            Dx'd Hypothyroid
            Dx'd Chronic Axonal Neuropathy & Myopathy
            June 2007
            Dx'd IC May 2006 (after suffering for 25+ yrs!)
            First Cysto 1979
            First Hydro 1981 (Many treatments since then!)
            Collagin"Durasphere" injections for urethra
            Gall bladder surgery Aug. 2004
            Gastric Bypass Dec. 2004
            Dx'd: Barrett's Esphogus July 2004
            Dx'd: Vaginal Atrophy 2005
            Bladder surgery 2000
            Dx'd: IBS 2000
            Hysterectomy (fibroids) 1999
            Laminectomy 1989
            Dx'd: Degerative Disk Disorder 1989

For IC I use Elmiron, Elavil and Freeze dried Aloe Vera (it works likes Elmiron, but naturally)and Azo as needed. I also take Zegerid, Randitine for Barrett's Esophagus. (which causes me to have constant yeast infections!)I take Cymbalta for Neuopathy/Myopathy pain. I use the Climara patch for menopause symptoms. I'm on a very strict diet because of the IC, IBS and Gastric Bypass. I take Primal Defense Probiotics and whole food Iron.
            I no longer have the awful urethral pain! I've been using MSM gel now for 4 mo. and haven't had a flare up or the urethra pain.....it's amazing stuff!!:woohoo:

Comment

Thanks

Hi Everyone,
              I tried doing the exercises a few of you mentioned, it does help! Ironically, today I don't have that much urgency. It's weird how one day, I'll have one type of symptom, and another day, I'll have something else.
              I started taking Aloe Vera last week, so far I haven't seen a difference (I'm also on a strict IC diet). I'm hoping it will help soon!
              I would like to go on Elavil, but I'm waiting to see if my Lexapro will help at all.
              Thanks for the advice everyone!
              -Allison

Comment

Working...
              X