Tingling/pinprick feeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tingling/pinprick feeling?

Has anyone have that tingling feeling in thier pubic area or pinprick sensation(for me I feel the pinprick in my prostate)? Sometimes the pinprick feeling gets pretty bad that I have to sleep sitting up on my bed...

That sounds like nerve damage..
    Hugs
    Ronda

ONE Second, ONE Bite, ONE Breath, ONE Pill, ONE Minute, ONE Teardrop, ONE Hour, ONE Sip.. ONE DAY! I will Prevail from this disease! IC Hoping for a Cure!

Link to Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Diet Reference Sheet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/icndi...tsheet0909.pdf

Meds For IC: Lyrica-25mg Glucosamine-500 MSM-500mg, Prosed Ds -When Flaring

Other Meds: Levlite- Continious Birtcontrol, Micardis-40mg for High Blood Pressure

Meds I have Tried:
    Topamax,Tofranil, Elmiron, Atarax, Cymbalta, Elavil, Enablex, Detral La, Prydium.
    Lexapro< Bad reaction to this med!
    Intstills, could not continue them due to some kind of reaction after 3rd instill. Tasted the lidocaine in my mouth, tongue and lips went numb then went into what seemed like a panic attack. Shaking, racing heart, tingling face/head, blood pressure shot up..

Dx With IC in Nov 2006 with Hydro/Cysto
    Hydro/Cysto Caused Bladder to Rupture.

Other Dxs-Vulvodynia,Fibro, Endo, IBS, HPV, Migraines, Spastic Colon, Mild Dysplasia.

ICN Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

I have had these sensations, but all over my body, usually my arms and legs, and it is usually a reaction to a new med I was on. Have you been on any new meds or antibiotics lately?
      Jen

Comment

I get it in my hand's and feet.
        I will mention this to my uro tomorrow when I go to see her, she may have some answer's as to what cause's pin's and needle's.
        Will let you know if she tel's me what it is.
        I have had IC and PBS for 20+ years.
        Tried every medication I can think off.
        Had a Clam Cystoplasty with Mitrofanoff in November 2006.
        Had a Total Cystectomy, with a neobladder, Urethradectomy and Mitrofanoff review, also had a peristomal hernia repaired.
        4th october 2007.

Check out my profile on www.myspace.com/surreychick.
        if you want to know more about me.

Comment

WARNING NERVE DAMAGE CAN CAUSE BLADDER SYMPTOMS!

It did for me!

My Diagnosis is called sensorimotor polyneuropathy, autonomic nerve damage, plus motor nerve damage. (peripheral neuropathy)

You can't see it with your eyes, but there are some tests. Diagnosis is difficult as peripheral neuropathy causes varied symptoms it is often by a system of elimination, not by a specific tests alone. When I asked my Doctor just exactly which nerves are damaged he explained it was scattered randomly all through my body. It all began early for me and went on for years until it was very severe. Sensory nerve damage causes severe neuropathic pains.

Your peripheral nerves are the ones that aren't part of the central nervous system and there are a lot of them. Your sense of touch, feeling of warm or cold, ticklishness, etc., are peripheral nerve senses, to name but just a few.

The symptoms I feel in my hands, feet and bladder are due to sensory nerve fiber damage. (axonal fibers most distal from the spinal cord.) A test called the skin punch tells if the nerves are being damaged, and if noramal nerve growth is present or has been disabled in your body's response system.

Motor nerves are the nerves controling muscles that make movement possible. A more silent neuropathy is the slow damage to the autonomic nerves. These are the nerves that control the heart, lungs, digestive system (stomach, bowels, gastropharesisP), glands, other important internal organs. Very dangerous should it ever damage the nerves to the heart!!! Some have died of heart attacks.

Yes, I was extremely ill and at my worst time the Doctors were unable to diagnose me and explained "it is all in your head!".

I think the minute that I mentioned severe bladder pain/frequency symptoms they ignored me and put the mental diagnosis stamped on my forehead.

Nerves do grow, but at an agonizingly slow rate. If you like to watch grass grow, it is very much, much, much slower than that. With proper treatment, meds, supplements, you can prevent further destruction. Remission and recovery is possible in some situations.

It can be extremely important to learn what the underlying cause is and treat that if possible. I understand there might be over 100 causes of peripheral neuropathy.

I spent half my life undiagnosed and untreated and was sent to a mental hospital for a very real condition often caused by common well-known diseases and yet it is still ignored and millions of people suffer undiagnosed with peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage).

You can't see it!
          It's a hidden condition!
          You can't show it and people won't understand!
          Nerves themselves are affected!
          Conventional pain meds do not help!

PLEASE STOP PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY!

Sincerely Silverfox
          Last edited by Silverfox; 06-25-2007, 08:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi SIlverfox.
            WHat you talk about is very interesting. I have a diagnosed neuropathic dysmotility of the small bowel. My gut works slower than it should.
            What are the signs of peripheral neuropathy, and do you have to see a neurologist to get a Diagnosis? I had unexplained SEVERE throat burning for over a year and half, and no one could figure out why. I even went to mayo clinic and they could not figure it out after doing all tests to rule out acid reflux and such. They thought it was possible autoimmune in nature though. I just this past year have gotten better but I still get flares with the burning, especially when I am sick with a cold.
            My gastro believes that the burning from my throat just went south and is now in my bladder, he believes everything that is wrong with me ( my digestive issues, bladder issues are all connected somehow). That is why I believe it is all autoimmune.
            What are the signs of peripheral neuropathy? I get the pins and needles feelings, but usually only after I take antibiotics. I seem to be becoming allergic to most antibiotics lately though. It is weird.
            What were all the symptoms you had to tell you you have a neuropathy? What are you doing or taking to get better? I remember my one neurologist saying he thought I may have a possible autonomic neuropathy, but was not very bad. He mentioned a tilt table test or something. I did go that route yet as it is very expensive.
            I am interested in what your symptoms were though? Thanks
            Jen

Comment

I to get them, I call them my itchy, pokey, tingling burning sensations.
              'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Hi Jen, I am not medically trained but just a fellow sufferer that had to learn the hard way.

Well, I have very, very similar symptoms with my own gut. This is symply damage to the nerve fibers that control the gut. Most are autonomic nerves but there are some sensory nerves in there. These nerves control the movements of the stomach with branches from the major nerve known as the vagus nerve and located close to the throat and down to the stomach and on to the gut.

Both of your Doctors were right, but they needed to have you tested for this. Your Gastro is right that this is a systemic problem with an underlying cause throughout your body, and that is including the bladder. Your neurologist is right in that he recognized that you have possible autonomic neuropathy causing slow motility from the throat, stomach, small intestines, colon and etc. (said "was not Bad"..???...But, it is serious for you!...) IMPORTANT!...The severity of the nerve damage does not match the intensity of the symptoms. It is possible that if they knew what is causing the autonomic neuropathy, they could give you meds that would halt further progression of the nerve damage, and this could keep you from getting more severe and causing worse disability. VERY IMPORTANT! Early diagnosis and treatment in some instances will cause remission and even recovery is possible! In addition, good balance diet and a good exercise plan helps too!

I understand all your symptoms, throat burning from severe acid reflux, stomach burning, and years of Irritable bowel syndrome with some bowel damage. Add this to the burning bladder and urethra, with peeing all the time....adds up to feeling miserable.

Where are your "pins and needles feelings?" Often these are felt in the hands at night. I used to have these and these were some symptoms of my neuropathy in my hands and I also was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome. This was more of the nerve damage that was going on within my body. I had lots of arithritic like pains, sometimes in my shoulder, my hip, low back, hands, feet, and generally felt sick, like a bad flu at times. If I had some good sleep I would improve for a few hours and then it would return after half a day returning to aching chronic fatigue. Oh, I went to that same place for help. They could not diagnose me either and that was 30 years ago! Things are slow to change.

When at my worst I found out from a relative that they thought I was suffering with hypothyroidism, the disease that affected several people in my family already. My Doctor did the blood tests and examination and decided to treat me and very soon I was feeling better than I had ever felt in my entire life. From the history of my symptoms I must have started life with the disease. I was 36 years old and had many years of slow damage to my nervous system.

Today I am greatly improved...this is an understatement! Anyway you can look up the definition of peripheral neropathy. There are many causes and Diabetes is the most common cause of neuropathy, you can find nursing homes and retirement homes full of people who suffer from Diabetic neuropathy. Google that... also google hypothyroid neuropathy....

With my own neuropathy the cause was from a lack of circulation and blood flow reaching delicate nerves, starving the fragile nerves of oxygen and nutrients that keep them healthy and alive. Autonomic, Sensory, and Motor nerves are all involved. Sometimes, they do a biopsy to look at them up close and make an observation to the degree of damage. Sometimes the nerve fiber is damaged and sometimes the myelin coating is damaged. Neurologists have several tests that might show the damage. You might want to ask your regular Doctor about seeing a neurologist and discuss the testing costs. I never had the nerve biopsy but I do see an expert at a medical school for my neuropathy care. He told me I should tell others about neuropathy and its causes "so we can change medicine".

Some symptoms that are commonly felt are numbness (loss of feeling) burning, searing, lancinating pains, and pins and needles, and these can occur anywhere that there is a nerve. Many people take neurontin or lyrica for this kind of nerve pain, it is helpful but I don't believe it helps relieve symptoms 100%. The sensory nerves are also called afferent nerves and they send pain messages to the brain shouting that they are in trouble and the patient needs help very badly as the damage might be halted with good medical treatments and sometimes complete recovery is possible.

Here are two sites that might explain neuropathy to you better than I can...
                neurocentre.com in the UK and neuropathy.org in the USA

My symptoms were numbness in the feet and legs, arithitic pains, numbness pins and needles in hands and feet(diagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrone, bladder frequency, ataxia and lack of co-ordination, shortness of breath (sort of like asthma feelings) sensitivity to cold, migraine headaches, IBS, Chronic fatigue, lack of concentration, feeling like I had the flue with short bursts of energy. Severe bladder pain!!! Was the worst and I suffered for many years!

You sound like you are mild, do talk with a Doctor and I hope you can have the needed tests that might help you discover the cause. Do not give up without an answer. PM me if you need any further information. I had to do my own research so that I could get the help that I needed. You can get help and you deserve help. Sending a hug and

PLEASE CURE PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY!

Very Sincerely Silverfox

HYPOTHYROIDISM 3 1/2 GRAINS ARMOUR THYROID (this works the best for me)

300 mg NEURONTIN FOR NERVE PAIN (one morning and one evening for sleep)
                SENSIMOTOR POLYNEUROPATHY
                AUTONOMIC NEUROPATHY
                MOTOR NEUROPATHY
                Last edited by Silverfox; 06-25-2007, 01:49 PM. Reason: added medications

Comment

Hi Tig

Where do you have those prickly burning sensations

Hugs Silverfox

Comment

Wow sounds serious...but I get that prickly feeling whenever I sit upright or put pressure on the prostate or when I lay down.

Comment

Hey *sigh*

Just wondering is this great discomfort, does this feeling keep you from sleeping? Do you consider the feeling painful? Do you ever have this in your hands or other places?

Oh yes, *sigh* It can be very serious when you consider how fragile the thread like nerves are throughout the body. There are way over 100 diseases, infections and chemicals that can lead to the damage of peripheral nerves.

Hypothyroidism caused my neuropathies and is a metabolic disease that builds up fluid in the body tissues and causes pressure. The pressure of fluid blocks out the small hair thin blood vessels that feed the tiny nerves oxygen and nutrients. When this continues silently there is a dying back of nerve fibers and or sometimes loss of the myelin coating outside on the nerves.
                      You can have both the die back of nerve fibers (sensory) or loss of the protective myelin coating. This causes the discomfort or very painful symptoms and sometimes loss of feeling (numbness). I had all those symptoms over several decades. The bladder and the pelvic area has lots of these sensory nerves.

Comment

I wouldn't call it painful but more of a jolt of feeling. And I only get the feeling around my prostate or urethra and not anywhere else unless I sit on my hand for a long time or something. It keeps me from sleeping sometimes because right before I fall asleep I get that jolt and I jump awake. So once or twice I had to sleep upright on my bed so I don't get that feeling.

Comment

*sigh*
                          With your symptoms I would ask your Doctor about possible peripheral neuropathy and to check for any underlying cause. Educate yourself so you can be certain the Docs. don't miss neuropathy

take care

Comment

I had some blood tests done at the appointment with my uro.
                            She said there may not be anything wrong but she has ordered a full blood count and a whole lot of other tests to be carried out pre-op because of the pins & needles I keep getting.
                            I hope this is nothing too serious.

I hope everyone is as well as can be expected.
                            Sending hugs to you all
                            I have had IC and PBS for 20+ years.
                            Tried every medication I can think off.
                            Had a Clam Cystoplasty with Mitrofanoff in November 2006.
                            Had a Total Cystectomy, with a neobladder, Urethradectomy and Mitrofanoff review, also had a peristomal hernia repaired.
                            4th october 2007.

Check out my profile on www.myspace.com/surreychick.
                            if you want to know more about me.

Comment

Mum you are the one who deserves the hugs. It could be something as simple like having a low vitamin deficiency.
                              Low B 12 will cause those those symptoms to your sensory nerves.
                              I am glad your Doctor is looking carefully. I wish I was near
                              so I could help you. I have been to the UK for medical help
                              and people were very kind to me.

We send you bigger hugs and we are remembering you!

Comment

Working...
                              X