Kidney Stones and IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kidney Stones and IC

Hi - I thought I posted last night, but looks like it didn't go through.

I was officially diagnosed with IC in November 2010. I was diagnosed with bilateral kidney obstructions on January 7th, 2011. Things I thought were IC symptoms were actually kidney stone symptoms. The stones are calcium oxalate stones and I am going to be doing a 24-hour urine collection in the next few weeks.

My dilemma is that the foods I've been avoiding because of the IC are on the good to eat list for kidney stones (OJ, lemonade, limeade, etc.), and some of the things that are on the good list for IC (such as blueberry juice) are on the don't eat list for kidney stones.

Does anyone else have kidney stones and IC, and how do you manage the diet aspect of things ?

Thank you !
    Colleen

* ITP - autoimmune blood disorder - spleen removed 1978 and in remission since
    * MS- diagnosed Jan-2010
    * IC - confirmed by cysto and hydro Nov-2010 - currently taking no medication
    * possible adenomyosis - suspected by urogyno May-2010
    * low Vitamin D levels - taking 2000 IU daily
    * sleep issues - 1/2 alprazolam

Sorry this somehow posted twice - I don't know what is going on. I don't know how to delete the second one.
    Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

I was searching the internet for a product to help bladder and I found a natural product for kidney stones called Break-Stone (Chanca Piedra). I drank it a week, it didn't help my bladder but I don't know if it works with kidney stones. It's supossed to help in two weeks.

Good luck

Comment

Looks like I forgot to add that I ended up bilateral stents, and then had left and right side lithotripsy to get rid of these stones. Start to finish was a 6 week process but I had been having pains for 3 months before getting the diagnosis.

My concern is now that these stones are gone, I want to be sure that I don't get them back. Having blockages on both sides at the same time was no walk in the park and I have no desire to repeat the experience.

Therefore I am looking for a diet that is good for my stones AND my IC. Luckily my IC is fairly mild and I can tolerate foods that others can't as long as it is in moderation.

Just looking for any suggestions that anyone might have. Wondering if it would be beneficial to try to find a nutritionist to help me sort this out.

Thanks !
        Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

Me too

Interesting reading your post. I also have ITP and kidney stones. I follow a low salt diet and stay away from blueberries at the advice of my hemotologist and gastrointoligist. Blueberries do effect platelet counts according to the doctor. I will be starting infusion therapy on Monday for my low platelet count (28), still have my speen. So I am left with pears and watermelon. I get my vitamin C from vegies such as red, yellow and orange peppers. I avoid all preservatives and additives in foods as these are triggers for me. I also avoid all processed foods. This is a challenge and eating out is a thing of the past. I don't know what they put in the foods and what is processed or not, so I don' t eat out. Since I restricted my diet I have not had any new kidney stones. I know this is limits and restricts your lifestyle, but the pain of kidney stones on an injured bladder is no fun and I want to avoid that pain at all costs. Good luck to you and know there are others out there experiencing the same thing.
          54 years old
          Newly diagnosed with IC and ITP (Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, low platletes)

Docusate
          Morphine
          Prednisone
          Amitriptyline
          Nitrofurantoin
          Pantorprazole
          Nebivolol
          Visicare

Comment

Welcome to the forum Deborah!

I'm still fairly new to IC myself. But this is a great place for support and information.

Wow - someone else with ITP, IC and kidney stones . . . never would have thought I'd see that combo in anyone else. You don't happen to have MS, too ??!! lol !

I had the ITP when I was 5-7 years old. Spleen removed at age 7 after trying steroids, etc. I'm careful with fevers and illnesses, etc. but have been fortunate for the remission.

I first started seeing a urogyno in November 2009 for a night-time overactive bladder. Tried a few different meds and then went off the meds and my bladder started behaving at night again (only up 3-4 times instead of 10-12 times) and the dr said it "retrained itself". Then after a UTI that turned out NOT to be a UTI and conversation with her about things she mentioned that she suspected IC. This was in May 2010. I had symptoms on and off but read up on the diet and started taking Prelief when I eat something that might be a trigger and cut back and cut out other foods completely. In November 2010 I had hydro/cysto that gave me the official diagnosis.

After spending months with on and off pains that we thought were IC-related, turned out to be the kidney stone blockages mentioned in my orig message. So, I was happy that I wouldn't have to watch my diet quite as closely . . . until the special urologist told me I have to change my diet to avoid the kidney stones. That was a little frustrating and upsetting to hear.

The list the Dr. gave me is almost 20 years old - so I'm wondering if there are any newer updated lists that are accurate on the internet. So many of the low oxalate diets I found have conflicting information.

I hope that you can get your platelets under control. You must have great willpower to be able to change your diet so much.

Thanks !
            Colleen

* MS- diagnosed Jan-2010

Comment

Working...
            X