Low Back Pain...Ouch!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Back Pain...Ouch!

I have had IC for about 7 years. I am currently "flaring" and have extreme low back pain. I have read that this is referred pain from bladder spasms, but it is just so much more painful than it has ever been. I tried to rub on my low back to see if it would feel better and it felt worse. Any ideas on how to relieve this pain?

If this is a new pain, I suggest you check in with your doctor. It's not unusual to have low back pain with IC, but you don't want to ignore something that could be helped.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Heat helps a bit for me. Do you also have pelvic floor dysfunction? Low back pain can be a symptom of that too, as it certainly was for me. If you haven't been assessed for that, perhaps you should consider it. Physical therapy can also be a big help no matter what the source of your back pain is.
      ----------------------
      -Amanda
      34 years old, bladder symptoms all my life
      diagnosed with PFD and VV October 2009; IC May 2010

Current meds:
      Cystoprotek 2 pills twice a day, Hydroxyzine 10 mg, Gabapentin 600 mg, Myrbetriq 25mg, Zoloft 25 mg, Mircrogestin, capsaicin cream (for vulva)
      Other past treatments:
      IC diet, physical therapy, Traumeel injections as needed, TENS unit, heating pad, instills with sodium bicarb, lidocaine, and mucosa compositum
      Tried and didn't work:
      Pyridium, Singlair, Nortriptyline, Elmiron, lidocaine and heparin instills (worked at first, then didn't anymore), various creams, acupuncture

Comment

Hi

I have low back problems with disc and arthrits anyways, but when ever I have an infection or a flare my back pain greatly increases. For me it is often the first a sign of a flare or UTI coming.

I for this I use a heating pad, I find it helps the pain or maybe just helps take my mind off of the pain.

My husband teases me I cuddle my heating pad more than him. I probably do, poor man.

Riding in the car really bothers my bladder, so I always use one for car rides longer than 15 mins.

It is a visious cycle rideing in the car irritates my bladder, irritated bladder means, I can't pee (retention) if this goes on for very long I get increase pain, pressure, frequency, back pain etc.

I feel for you to have back pain too, if you think about it some people when in labour feel the pain in their backs more than others, referred to as back labour. All your bits in your pelvic are all close together so when one part hurts, you can feel it in other parts as well.

Having said this it is worth to have your back checked out the pain could be from some other cause and you maybe able to do something about it, or some gentle streaching may help relieve that pain.

But I would for sure ask a Dr. about it.

Good luck MG
        My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

I would look into the Coxxyc bone. I am having a MRI this sat to rule that out actually I posted something on that here. DR. Evans said if that was it that it would have to be fixed. Bet u that is what it is. Good luck google it.
          Coopsmom

"Through God All Things Are Possible"

Topamax for Migraines 50
          Elavil 12.5 mg
          Lidocaine 2% 10 cc
          Sodium Bicarb 8.4% 5 cc
          Heprain 20,000 Units
          Hydroxyzine 25 mgs
          Valium Sup. 10 mgs.
          Phenegran 25 mgs.
          Amerge 2.5 mgs.
          Lidocaine Gel 2%

Comment

Definately mention this to your Dr. It can very likely be PFD, I have learned a few yoga poses that help with the lower back pain immensely. I know that another member tried some yoga recently and had some problems though so I would say be careful if you aren't very active, or have extremely tight muscles. NEVER push yourself and don't hold any pose too long.

The pose that I find that helps my back pain and can eliminate it is the prayer squat pose. You might be able to find an example of it on the web. It causes you to relax your pelvis without even trying and lets up on the pain for me. Like I said, this is what works for me.
            Also it is recommended to take several short warm baths a day to help soothe the muscles.

Sandra
            Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
            http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
            Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
            http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I have lower back pain all the time. I had an mri done not too long ago, and found out I have some arthritis and mild disk degeneration, but my bladder causes most of my misery. The referred pain is horrible for me. It goes down my legs too sometimes. I generally ache alot in my back from the arthritis, and in my knee joints too sometimes. I use a magic bag which has little beads that you put in the microwave or fridge, and alternate between hot and cold. I've had a lot of MRI's in the past year, and they found only the arthritis, and some wearing disks. I'm sorry you are hurting :-( I hope you find some relief soon.

Comment

Re: Low Back Pain...Ouch!

Just something to share that normally doesn't get covered with this site!
                100% of the time people with 'IC'
                have an underlying health issue going on!
                They fail to inform you on this,like its an isolated diagnosis as if it starts in and from the bladder!
                WRONG!
                Not that what is being shared to help with symptoms is not right,it is very helpful f

Comment

For helping releiving symptoms.
                  But IC is not the cause,it's a symptom in and of itself!

Comment

I am so sorry for anyone with low back pain. I am not a doctor or medical professional. I did go to a top urologist at UC Med Center in San Francisco who said that the back, pelvic floor and IC go together pain wise. However some people have a separate issue with their back. I am praying for all here. I use a gentle chiropractor and a physical therapist gave me some gentle exercises which I do every day at home. However if it hurts most of the time a physical therapist can give ultrasound which is very soothing. My doctor gave me pain med for high pain of IC which I use sometimes if the back is really hurting. Also an ice pack helps.
                    If you keep a green bough in your heart
                    the singing bird will come.
                    http://www.obsidian-sun.com/

Comment

My uro asks me all the time if I have low back pain. So far I don't usually, but I do notice that if I'm driving a lot or have a lot going on that sometimes I will feel it.
                      ----------------------------------------------------
                      My blog on IC, adoption, and academia: the garlic whisperer

Diagnosed Jan 2013. Currently taking:

200mg Elmiron morning and night
                      25mg Elavil at night (no drowsiness or weight gain)
                      culturelle in the morning
                      SLIT drops for allergies (environmental) 3 drops/night under the tongue
                      zyrtec 24 hour nightly (recommended by uro)
                      Instillations 3x/week: Parson's Solution
                      uribel and prelief as needed

Also took Desert Harvest Aloe (3 in the morning and 3 at night) for a year and had great luck.
                      No longer need them, so I only take them during flares.

Comment

Working...
                      X