No announcement yet.

Be sure to use a metal water bottle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be sure to use a metal water bottle...

I just caught the tail end of a "Doctor's" show segment wherein a member of the audience brought in a typical plastic water bottle she had been washing and reusing it for 3 months to save on sending numerous bottles to the landfill.

The docs tested it for bacteria and found it was loaded with it - even after she washed it.
    Bottom line - he recommended the metal bottles for water - the wider the mouth the better so you can get in and really scrub the inside plus the lip.

What caught my ear was that he had done a breakdown of the bacteria in her plastic bottle and mentioned one which he said could cause urinary tract infections. I didn't catch the name, unfortunately, "interprocter?"

Water Bottle Warning
    Drinking plenty of water is great for your health, but how you drink it could put you at risk. (Here is the link to the video segment)

http://www.thedoctorstv.com/videolib/init/3247

(Video is slow loading...)

Laura stays hydrated by always carrying a plastic water bottle. To be environmentally friendly, she has been using the same bottle for three months, but is concerned it could be holding more than just her H2O.

"You have the right idea, the idea to try to save the environment," OB/GYN Dr. Lisa Masterson says. "But this is unhealthy. With every sip, you're putting saliva in there that the bacteria can grow on, [especially] in the little crevices, because they want to grow on that saliva."

A Canadian study conducted at an elementary school found that three out of four reusable water bottles tested positive for dangerous bacteria.

The Doctors tests Laura's bottles, and you won't believe what they find!

"We all use reusable water bottles, but you're using the wrong kind," E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork explains. "You don't want to go out and reuse [a regular plastic bottle with crevices and a small opening]."

Dr. Travis suggests using an aluminum reusable bottle with a large, wide lid, which makes it easier to clean, and to wash it often with warm, soapy water often. When buying any reusable bottles, make sure they are BPA free.
    Last edited by izazen; 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM. Reason: clarification

I bought myself a metal water bottle several months ago and I can't stand it! I taste the metal everytime I drink my water. It is so strong it makes my fillings in my teeth hurt, no kidding. I have a plastic one that isn't from bottled water but is made to be a water bottle for re-use and I clean it very well. I know they say the metal one's are better and I long ago stopped re-using the disposable one's, I now buy my spring water by the gallon to cut down on the amount of waste. Also, I have read not to leave your water bottle in the heat and then drink from it because it causes bacteria growth.

Thanks for sharing,

Sandra
    Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
    http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
    Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
    http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

Working...
    X