Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• featherbullet
    replied
    psyllium fibre works VERY well. Just remember to drink more water when you take it..

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    Originally posted by judy45 View Post
    one word - MAGNESIUM. very IC friendly. Usually 2 250mg pills at night is enough to fix you right up!
    There are differnet types of Magnesium. What type are you using?

Leave a comment:

• judy45
    replied
    one word - MAGNESIUM. very IC friendly. Usually 2 250mg pills at night is enough to fix you right up!

Leave a comment:

• Tuckersmom
    replied
    I use Miralax twice daily, 1 tablespoon of Lactulose syrup (generic prescription), 1 tablespoon of mineral oil daily, and a very high fiber diet. Sometimes even all of that is not enough.

Leave a comment:

• navemj
    replied
    miralax was a nightmare for me. I urinated every 30 minutes with burning. My doctor put me on this for constipation but I went off of it and all the symptoms were gone.

Leave a comment:

• elkrunrockies
    replied
    I was hoping my response, mentioning Gluten-free, might convince some others to investigate that. I get very infrequent flares now that I am gluten-free. I am sure Senecot is ok. You are very new to IC, I wish you luck in conquering it. I have had it since 1991 - very bad at first (2 years or so) and then subsiding bit by bit. I find a tspn of baking soda in a glass of water at first sign of a flare really helps a lot. Others do not agree.

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I do not know if Senacot has gluten in it... I would do an ingredient search online before getting it. I don't have gluten intolerance at all so it wasn't a factor for me when I bought it.

Leave a comment:

• elkrunrockies
    replied
    I am gluten-free and cannot do Benefiber. I will try Senecot. I wonder how many people with IC should also be gluten-free, and don't know it?

Leave a comment:

• nineteenwinters
    replied
    I have used Senecot and it has worked fairly well. No flaring. I have found that helps with constipation the most for me. I also have tried Benefiber but that kind of did nothing.

Leave a comment:

• elkrunrockies
    replied
    Beware of Miralax - it works for the constipation but not sure about its effect on IC - anyone else have something to say about Miralax?

Leave a comment:

• musiclover
    replied
    Milk of Magnesia worked for me when I had problems with that. I'm not sure that should be taken long term, however I think it's safer than a senna laxative or something like that. I also tried taking various fiber supplements to find what didn't flare me. I found that Metamucil Clear & Natural helped without causing increased IC symptoms.

Leave a comment:

• kadi
    replied
    What I've found helpful is Metamucil Clear & Natural mixed into my hot milk with Pero (coffee substitute) each morning. I've used Milk of Magnesia, but don't like the diarrhea with that. Fleets enemas are helpful for occasional use (like post travel).
    Hope you find some relief soon, constipation is a miserable problem.

Leave a comment:

• cmclien
    replied
    This topic definitely comes up alot. I'm one of the magnesium users but what people don't realize is you have to play with the dose to find that perfect fit between meds and magnesium for regularity. You need to start with 400mg and then increase it daily until you find continuous daily relief without diarhea. I take somewhere between 800-1200mg a day to offset the claritin, oab meds etc. I think 1200mg is about the upper limit of the recommended dietary allowance. I'll have to double check that but my pcp didn't seem concerned when I talked to her about it. I also eat about 25-35 grams of fiber a day but that isn't enough by itself for me.

I do also like ducosate sodium and take it if needed. It doesn't bother my bladder.

Whatever works is good in my book and these are just two things that have consistently worked for me.

Leave a comment:

• lalarainbow
    replied
    I have used Normacol and that seemed to help.. Used one pack a day. I have IBS with Constipation most of the time.. Just recently I stopped using it and trying just prune juice and hot water in the morning..and that seems to be working well----- it is not as bad tasting as it sounds... lol . I use flax flour as well but not every day.

take care

Leave a comment:

• playethic
    started a topic Constipation remedies, & which are IC-friendly

Constipation remedies, & which are IC-friendly

One of the other threads has turned to this topic, so I'm creating it under its own topic.

Someone was writing that they are not finding magnesium supplements to be helpful for constipation, though some have written that they find the supplements help.

I've been trying flax oil before bed, as one ICN person suggested, and I've been trying eating heaps of romaine lettuce.

I also just bought some of the Acacia fiber from ICN, and I'll see if that helps at all. I'm wondering for anyone else who uses it, what's their preferred way of taking it?

I'm thinking I may have to go back to some of the constipation medicines I have from when I was on morphine. Does anyone know if any of these are particularly problematic in terms of IC diet? :
    - Senecot (stool softener) capsules
    - Colace capsules / docusate sodium
    - Lactulose (liquid medicine, behind the pharma. counter but not prescript.)
    - Glycerin suppositories
    - Dulcolax suppositories
Working...
X