Weight Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain

My IC symptoms started a year ago, and almost immediately I gained 20 pounds. I'm not on any medications yet, as I was diagnosed only recently, but I can't seem to shake this weight no matter what I do. Do any of you have this same problem? Are there certain foods that don't bother your bladder, but trigger weight gain or excessive water retention? I'm desperately trying not to have to buy bigger pants, but that seems to be my only option. It's making me really depressed, which is dangerous for me.

-Michelle

Re: Weight Gain

I don't have any advice because I'm in the same boat as you. Initially, I lost weight because I was in too much pain to even want to eat. But once I got that under some kind of control I started gaining. I know exactly why. The IC diet lacks flavor, at least the kind of flavors we were used to eating. It gets pretty tiresome eating the same flavors over and over again. The one thing we can have is fat. For me, that came in the shape of butter and ice cream. Eating that doesn't seem like you'd gain too much but after a year, you can pack on 10 pounds, at least, depending on the quantity you eat. I've been lecturing myself, trying to get geared up for losing weight. But living on lean protein and vegetables along with small quantities of whole grains is just so hard to conceive of. It's not that I can't eat just those things, I can and I used to. But in the old days I cooked with lots and lots of flavors. I used to enjoy the healthy foods I ate and they satisfied me. Now it's just boring and if I smell basil, rosemary, sage, thyme or garlic one more time I'm going to hurl!!

Experienced first symptoms in 2007
    Diagnosed with IC 6/13

Diagnosed with PFD (Pelvic Floor Dysfunction) 8/13

Medications: .5 mg. Ativan, occasionally for spasms

Supplements: DH Aloe Vera capsules, 3 per day for maintenance and 6-12 per day during flares

Following Strict IC Diet

Comment

Exactly Lori! We lack flavor now in all our foods, and its hard to spice them up! I have had one too many bowls of vanilla ice cream and too many caramels!

It is also much harder for me to exercise so that adds to the weight gain.
      Jane
      Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
      10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
      Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
      Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
      Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

Gosh this is sooo true! I lost weight at first due to the pain and not wanting to eat but when the pain went away and I started looking at what I could eat I ended up eating a lot of fat. Ice cream, root beer floats (with ice cream), noodles, caramels, white chocolate etc. My cholesterol went up not to mention some weight gain. For those of us liking a variety of food with different kinds of spices the diet was really hard to adjust to. I have been able to add back some foods I couldn't eat before so I am really very thankful for that and I cut out the dairy. But to answer melindseyme's question - Yes there are a lot of foods that don't bother the bladder but will make you gain weight.

Comment

Originally posted by earthlady View Post
          Gosh this is sooo true! I lost weight at first due to the pain and not wanting to eat but when the pain went away and I started looking at what I could eat I ended up eating a lot of fat. Ice cream, root beer floats (with ice cream), noodles, caramels, white chocolate etc. My cholesterol went up not to mention some weight gain. For those of us liking a variety of food with different kinds of spices the diet was really hard to adjust to. I have been able to add back some foods I couldn't eat before so I am really very thankful for that and I cut out the dairy. But to answer melindseyme's question - Yes there are a lot of foods that don't bother the bladder but will make you gain weight.
          When I first had IC, I lost a lot of weight, but since then I've pretty much maintained around the same size as I was before. Sometimes when we first have to face a stressful thing, it can effect our weight. I hope you level off weightwise quickly.

Sending encouraging hugs,
          Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I JUST flared major time 2 weeks ago and have lost 14 lbs!! I am so uncomfortable after I eat that I barely eat! Wish I had some answers for you!

Comment

It's so hard because there are so many foods I can't eat so I automatically feel "deprived", which makes me want to eat more. Plus I'm significantly less active than I used to be. My body has been through so much and it's so hard to have any motivation to exercise when I'm in pain.

Gaining 20 pounds immediately sounds like a lot though. Did you start eating more than usual? Are you sure there isn't something else going on (such as a thyroid problem)?

Comment

Its all about motivation to achieve goals either weight loss or gain
                Last edited by Harryhales; 10-02-2022, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X