IC Belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IC Belly

Hello everyone! I need some advice. I was diagnosed about a year ago and after a lot of experimenting with diet and supplements got my symptoms mostly gone. I got over confident and started eating whatever I want. Boom flare time. New symptom is the bloated, firm ic belly. I'm back on the strict diet but haven't noticed any improvement yet. Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to deal with this? It's not painful but I hate it and none of my clothes fit. Thanks in advance!!!

Re: IC Belly

Once the inflammation is eased, that usually takes care of the IC belly issue. My suggestion is to stick with the diet, be sure to drink around 6 cups of water daily, and pick up a couple of pairs of loose fitting pants to wear on those days when there is some swelling --- and try to relax. When you feel better try not to worry about the belly --- and stick with the diet.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Thanks for the reply Donna! I do drink at least 2 liters of water a day but I'll try not to stress about the belly. I'm not in the mood to shop really but I'll try to find a few flattering work outfits. Luckily loose and flowy is in!
      Best,
      Molly

Comment

Hi, Molly. I'm at the point where I don't even know whether my on-and-off bloating is due to my IC or bile reflux, but my wardrobe is prepared either way with leggings, jeggings, skirts, and dresses These items all tend to have a good stretch to them that pants don't.

Chronic conditions: IC, bipolar disorder, Lown-Ganong-Levine syndrome, Raynaud's disease, bile reflux, scoliosis
        Current IC treatments: menstrual suppression
        Daily treatments for other conditions: Neurontin, Zyprexa, Cymbalta, Modafinil
        As-needed treatments for other conditions: Klonopin, Ambien

Comment

@ green_the_fish I got some comfy skirts/tops/dressy looking yoga pants that aren't binding and drapey enough that they don't accent the belly. Spent too much money at Target but I'm feeling better. Thanks for the reply! I'm hoping to find some comfy dresses too.
          Best,
          Molly

Comment

Returning to your previous diet might be helpful. Look into your wardrobe i bet you will find something that fits in

Comment

Oh the dreaded IC belly! I have been feeling really good the last 5 days. Thought I was over this flare. Then today, the frequency and pressure returned some and sure enough, out pops my belly! It's super frustrating because clothes really doesn't fit. I have found that for jeans, I pull a small rubber band through the hole where the button goes, then circle it around the button. That way it gives me a few extra inches which means a lot during a flare. Otherwise, I can't wear my jeans. I just make sure I wear a shirt long enough to cover the button.

I also wear a lot of stretchy black pants.
              Jane
              Diagnosed 1/7/14 via cysto/hydro

Current Treatment:
              10 mg amitriptyline, DH Aloe Vera

Used During Flares:
              Uribel, extra DH Aloe Vera, Klonopin and Tramadol (as needed)

Practicing bladder training and stress control (hot baths, pelvic stretching)
              Recently tried PT, do not appear to have PFD

Things that have not helped in the past:
              Oxybutynin, Vesicare, Pyridium, Myrbetriq, Vagifem

Also have migraines and IBS

Comment

my2boys99, I do the rubber band thing too! Lately I've just been doing leggings and long drapey shirts. I'm feeling a little better after getting strict on my diet but still dealing with the belly. *Sigh" thanks for your replies everyone!

Comment

have you tried using heating pads or soaking in a tub of warm water with Epsom salts? Sometimes that can relieve the inflammation also. Hang in there.....sending you understanding hugs....
                  Julie Beyer, MA, RDN
                  IC Dietitian, Patient Advocate, Speaker, & Author

Did you know that up to 94% of interstitial cystitis patients find some symptom relief when they change their diet, and that dietary modification is recommended as a first line treatment for IC? Check out the IC Food List to get started!

Do you need a little more help understanding the IC Diet? Schedule a phone or video coaching session through the ICN Store today.

You can also learn more while supporting the ICN message boards by clicking on these book covers and buying the Confident Choices books from the ICN Store:

........ ........

Other IC Diet Resources:

IC Diet Webinar
                  IC Diet Website
                  For Health Professionals: Continuing Education About Interstitial Cystitis and Diet
                  Free IC Diet Booklet: What Can I Eat?
                  Confident Choices IC Diet Blog
                  IC Diet Newsletter

*Let's Connect!*

Comment

Working...
                  X