Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bladder Retention Problems - They started and keep getting worse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bladder Retention Problems - They started and keep getting worse!

So after learning of my interstitial cystitis and starting different experiments, here is a summary of what I learned:

1. My diet unless it is energy drinks or alcohol seems to have little-to no impact on my symptoms.
    2. Dehydration causes flare ups and horrible burning.
    3. Pressure on bladder whether it's from constipation, pants, or just laying on my back (I've gained weight and my symptoms have worsened since---mostly only when I lay down!) cause urgency.
    4. Originally pain held me back from sleeping so I had to start using melatonin which helped some, but in the morning I was always nauseated. That doesn't work anymore. (I don't have a tolerance to it as I rarely use it my bladder's condition has just worsened.
    5. I attempted veganism before I know my bladder was so bad off, and my condition worsened drastically through my old job. Combined pressure from my pants, leaning/crouching, intense heat from ovens, dehydration, lack of sleep, and hunger (little time to eat) led to a horrible flare up that lasted 2 months after quitting my job. I completely took care of myself but healing was a serious challenge and I had many set backs. After that flare up, I developed (self diagnosed) nocturia. For a while I'd resolve this by drinking nothing right before bed, but if I did wake up it would burn and postpone sleep until the AZO pain relief kicked in.
    6. Eventually the nocturia became my biggest obstacle. Although I have less burning during the day/night thanks to my many supplements/pain relievers, I now have trouble with bladder retention. I worry about how this will affect me in the long-term, and the inability to pass all urine leads to spending hours at a time sitting on the toilet straining until the concentrated urine passes. And due to spasms, continuing to feel the need to urinate even after. Every few minutes a few more droplets will come out, and I'll feel better for a few seconds, then the urge to go with come back. Straining is a concern for multiple reasons: It can cause more spasms, hemorrhoid issues (which I already have), and uterine prolapse runs on my mom's side of the family.

I'm aware this new retention problem could be a side effect and not necessarily a symptom of my interstitial cystitis.
    Due to this fact, and the fact I've been using AZO Pain Relief for longer than recommended, I'm curious to experiment with removing products from my routine.

Current supplements:
    AZO Pain Relief - when needed.
    AZO Bladder Control
    (Keeping) Ultra Flora Women's Probiotic 25 Billion
    (Keeping) Sugar Free Fiber Gummies
    (Keeping) B12 Sublingual 500 mcg

Recently, I did start drinking a lot more energy drinks than I used to due to lack of sleep, but I believe this is worsening my symptoms so I stopped drinking them and cut down my soda consumption (which barely makes a difference unless I get bloating from drinking it excessively).
    At the same time I started drinking more coffee. My history of drinking coffee has always been a more positive one. My symptoms are the worst when I'm constipated. I refuse to use laxatives as you can become dependent on them, and stool softeners can also dehydrate you. So, I drink coffee. Within hours, my constipation is resolved, and until my next trip to the bathroom, I'm usually pain free. If coffee does affect me negatively, the pros outweigh the cons, especially since it helps my mood and I've been more productive.

I believe either my obsessive usage of azo pain relief or azo bladder control is causing my symptoms. AZO pain relief isn't intended to take long term, although it is "safe" and you'll see many conflicting opinions on the matter. I do wonder if I've become dependent on it, and if it's been worsening other problems (side effects I've just become more sensitive to over time). Then, there is the AZO Bladder Control. I looked this product up and there really isn't a whole lot of information on it. You can see the ingredients (a bunch of herbs) but I haven't found information on the half-life of the medication, and almost nothing in terms of bladder retention information.
    With the combined lack of data, and new heartburn every time I take it as of this past month, I'm increasingly suspicious of the product.
    I know it helped at one point because around the time I started using it I felt significantly less pain when I did go to the bathroom/at night. HOWEVER; recently every time I take it (time of day, with or without food, IT DOESN'T MATTER), without fail (even by itself without taking other supplements) I still get heartburn from it.

I've also cut off cheese unless I eat pizza, and I already wasn't drinking milk.
    It seems I may be more sensitive to dairy since I stopped consuming as much of it, and it might be making me more constipated when I do consume it? Just a theory.

Conclusion:
    I've completely cut off energy drinks in the past week (Less burning seems apparent).
    I've cut down on soda (mostly because I recently had a ton of cavities filled and would prefer to keep my teeth in good shape, but also to reduce the amount of acidic fluids I consume).
    I've also cut off cheese unless it's on pizza, to reduce constipation.
    I've begun drinking much much much more water. Before I didn't drink a whole lot unless it was mid-day because my urgency was very irritating (literally).
    I always take my supplements with food.
    I bought underwear that is even bigger so there is less pressure on my stomach/bladder, but it seems even going up a few sizes the pressure is still a problem at night.. so when I'm not menstruating I don't wear underwear at all anymore.. and I have to lay in a perfect specific position because all others cause strain (feels like its pulling on my stomach) and makes me have to go back to the bathroom. Again, I truly believe my weight gain has contributed to my urgency problems at night. Even during the day, unless I go outside, I'm wearing loose pajamas now too.
    I will likely start taking breaks from the AZO Pain Relief as I did before the symptoms got worse because I don't want to potentially become dependent (some pain relievers can cause this) and I feel wrong about it being in my system every single day multiple times a day. It's likely not helping my symptoms beyond the burning sensation.
    I also have plans to stop taking AZO Bladder Control entirely. As a half-life is not listed I have no idea how long it will take to leave my system. AZO takes 24 hours to leave your system but it's not set to build up over time. AZO Bladder Control is a product you take 3 times a day, then twice a day, and see results after 6 weeks. It has to build up in your system. With that in mind, if the bladder retention is being caused by the Bladder Control, then I might not see improvement for several weeks.

EDIT: I found an article (not sure if the site is legitimate or not) but according to it, there was a study on several women where either the product or placebos were taken. The women taking the product only very slightly had less bathroom trips than the placebo group. If this product does work, according to the article, it is not very effective.
    Like any product, I assume part of the reason it doesn't work as well anymore could in fact be a tolerance issue. I might have seen great results in the beginning either from the placebo effect/coincidence, or because it truly did work, but then my tolerance for it went up and I needed more for it to work. If its giving me heartburn, taking more isn't an option.
    So again, I'd like to cut AZO BLADDER CONTROL from my routine. I won't be throwing it away though just in case in a couple months I feel the need to try it again if my symptoms don't improve or worsen.

AZO BLADDER CONTROL STUDY SOURCE: http://www.nutritionaction.com/daily...ol-pills-work/

NOTE:
    I'm okay. I have lows, but I'm mentally more stable than I've ever been in my life. Even my menstrual cycle (although diagnosed with PCOS) has become consistently 40 days for the most part (which is so much better than an 85 day cycle!!) and although I fear my symptoms getting worse, I haven't completely given up hope yet. This condition is terrible and often leads to my feeling like a burden, but my husband is very supportive, and I'm well taken care of.
    Last edited by mandykins; 05-25-2017, 02:54 AM. Reason: Adding information as to why the retention problem must be resolved.
    Conditions:
    Interstitial Cystitis
    Former Vaginismus diagnosis (with mention of PFD).
    PCOS
    General Anxiety Disorder

Treatments/Supplements:
    Fiber Advance Gummies
    Probiotic - Ultimate Flora Women's 25 Billion
    AZO Maximum Pain Relief
    Prenatals One A Day

Re: Bladder Retention Problems - They started and keep getting worse!

There are several things I see in your post that would be a problem for most people with interstitial cystitis. Straining --- will only make the problem worse. The kidneys constantly work to dribble urine into the bladder --- sometimes if we sit on the toilet for a long time and just a tiny bit comes out, what comes out is what the kidneys expelled after urination. Caffeine drinks --- no, no, no! Just cutting back won't help much --- same with sodas.

The best way to avoid constipation is to increase fiber in the diet. Please talk to your doctor about how to resolve this problem. Occasional laxatives should not create dependency. How much urine are you retaining? When I go to my urologist, they scan my bladder after I urinate --- you might ask them if they can do that.

There's a link to AUA Guidelines in my signature below, which may give you some options to discuss with your doctors.

Sending healing thoughts,
    Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
      There are several things I see in your post that would be a problem for most people with interstitial cystitis. Straining --- will only make the problem worse. The kidneys constantly work to dribble urine into the bladder --- sometimes if we sit on the toilet for a long time and just a tiny bit comes out, what comes out is what the kidneys expelled after urination. Caffeine drinks --- no, no, no! Just cutting back won't help much --- same with sodas.

The best way to avoid constipation is to increase fiber in the diet. Please talk to your doctor about how to resolve this problem. Occasional laxatives should not create dependency. How much urine are you retaining? When I go to my urologist, they scan my bladder after I urinate --- you might ask them if they can do that.

There's a link to AUA Guidelines in my signature below, which may give you some options to discuss with your doctors.

Sending healing thoughts,
      Donna
      I didn't want to believe the coffee would be the culprit. I was never a coffee person other than when I was in college obsessively drinking multiple shots of espresso every morning. After that I barely touched it. I recently at the height of my problems due to drinking energy drinks obsessively instead, I started substituting with coffee/cut out the energy drinks. Every day I did drink the coffee, within a few hours I would be completely pain free, but I wasn't monitoring which days I drank coffee, with which nights I struggled to get up from the toilet. I knew coffee was a common irritant in IC sufferers but I was under the belief that my IC wasn't really triggered by diet because when I did a UTI based change in diet (it wasn't a uti though) it didn't seem to make a difference. BUT I didn't cut out cheese other than the first couple weeks, and I was still eating eggs as recommended by my doctor at the time. I'm also not a big egg person.
      I also had horrible fatigue every single day and B12 seemed like the most logical course of action after being so tired every day I couldn't even get my thoughts together (before I was coffee dependent) and it got so bad a couple months ago I started B12. Out of curiosity because other stimulants are irritants, I decided to look up B12 and IC and it seems there might be a connection with that one too... But I don't know if it would be one I personally have a problem with.
      For now, I will give in and try to cut out coffee again. But I'm going to continue to take B12 to see if my symptoms get better or stay the same. If my symptoms stay the same, then I'll need to consider cutting B12 out and looking for diet based alternatives instead. But if I change too many variables at once, I won't know which changes were the ones that actually helped. So for now, I'll wean myself off caffeinated drinks and see if that helps. If I do drink soda, I have Prelief I bought a while back and it seemed to work when I drank alcohol before I got worse (I drank very rarely on special occasions). So it might help with the caffeine as well. I wasn't taking the Prelief because I worried it might have some sort of interaction with all the supplements I was already taking since at the time there were a lot more herbs in my routine.
      I'm gonna start a food diary again.
      I'm just scared of the fatigue I'll be most likely suffering from again after cutting out all the caffeine. :/

Thank you for telling me about the constant dribble from the kidneys. I thought I was just failing to get everything out, but that sounds more like I've just been so sensitive that I feel all of the urine as its produced combined with whatever spasms. But with that all said, I do have issues with my pelvic floor being extremely strong/tight. My flow isn't at all relaxed, it's always very high powered and concentrated, like its restricted coming out (like when you put your finger over the side of the opening of a hose and it makes the water come out as more of a spray).
      Conditions:
      Interstitial Cystitis
      Former Vaginismus diagnosis (with mention of PFD).
      PCOS
      General Anxiety Disorder

Treatments/Supplements:
      Fiber Advance Gummies
      Probiotic - Ultimate Flora Women's 25 Billion
      AZO Maximum Pain Relief
      Prenatals One A Day

Comment

There's a link in my signature to diet information --- I suggest you have a look at the food list. There is some cheese that is usually safe for us --- and eggs are on the bladder friendly list. I find that if I start my day with an egg (usually scrambled) for breakfast, I do better.

Sometimes when we are feeling good, we might be able to tolerate a small amount of a trigger food or drink, but too much can be a problem.

Prelief is something I use when we will be away from home and I'm not positive there won't be traces of my problem foods being served, but you might want to stop drinking sodas, at least until you feel better.

Donna
        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
        X