PAND gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAND gene

I've read in a few places that IC has been found in many people with the recessive PAND gene.

"In a study of 34 families with panic disorder, Weissman et al. (2000) identified a subgroup of 19 families with a 'syndrome' consisting of bladder or kidney conditions, thyroid problems, migraines and other serious headaches, and mitral valve prolapse. Not all of the individuals with the 'syndrome' had panic disorder. Bladder and kidney problems included frequent infections, enuresis after age 5 years, urinary frequency or retention, and rare structural abnormalities. In addition, the authors completed a case-control study of patients with interstitial cystitis and found an elevated rate of panic disorder. Family members of those with interstitial cystitis, both with and without panic disorder, had elevated rates of the 'syndrome' compared to controls."

Does anyone know more about this gene?

23, symptoms for 9 years, severe for 7.5. Diagnosed for 6.

I don't know about the gene, but I bet you'd enjoy reading this "article" by Dr. Buffington that discusses similar findings:

http://www.ic-network.com/clinicaltr...ngton1202.html
    Kim

Diagnosed August 2001

Current IC meds: Elmiron (since 2001), Levaquin (one pill after intercourse to prevent UTIs), Effexor (for depression & anxiety)

Past IC meds: Amitriptyline (Elavil), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril), Detrol LA, Lexapro (for depression & anxiety, but also helped my IC) (They all helped, but I was able to discontinue them.)

I've been virtually symptom free and able to eat & drink whatever I'd like for about 8 years now.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.” ~ Viktor Frankl

“You cannot control what happens to you, but you can control your attitude toward what happens to you, and in that, you will be mastering change rather than allowing it to master you.” ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

thanks so much for the link to that article! It clears up a few things and raises a few new questions

23, symptoms for 9 years, severe for 7.5. Diagnosed for 6.

Comment

Anxiety

I guess I wonder what came first the chicken or the egg? Anyone with chronic health problems and in particular bladder, and chronic pain becomes depressed and anxious always waiting for the next thing to hurt. To live in a chronic state of anxiety or hypervigilance naturally causes chemical changes in the brain and has effects in the body. So, could their be a gene for it? Everyone has different levels of brain chemicals that can be altered somewhat by diet, psychological events, medications and so on, when these things go on long enough biological changes can occur. Predispositions to different illness is probably true, but in the case of IC, I think a lot of it is enough to make anyone anxious and depressed.
        Sammi

Sammi

Meds: Melatonin 3mg @ bedtime if needed. Estrogen 1.5 mg troche and 0.1 mg Estrace cream.
        Diagnosis: IC, PFD (both in remission)

Comment

I was diagnosed with panic disorder in the 4th grade. I suffered for years with panic attacks not knowing what they were. I honestly thought I had some horrible disease and was dying. Once we found out what was going on the doctor I was seeing wanted to start me on Prozac. I refused to take any medication to alter my brain and then the doctor referred me to another psycologist/psychiatrist that taught me how to meditate to get rid of the panic attacks. I have to say that what that doctor did stays with me everyday. I do not have panic attacks all that often anymore, but I do find myself meditating quite often. Sometimes if the IC pain isn't too bad I can meditate it away for a short time. I cannot however make the IBS any better nor can I seem to do anything about my PCS except take the pills and move on.

Honestly though, I truely believe that the abundance of cases of IC seen in the last few decades may well be because of our exposure to so many unnatural elements in our bodies. We have more chemicals than we have names for available in our water supply, we get PCB's and PVC's through the plastic that surrounds everything, sugar has been replaced by high fructose corn syrup, not to mention DIET sweetners and the like. We are evolving everyday and our body chemicals evolve too. The trouble is that societal pressure to evolve has surpassed our bodies natural ability to process these chemicals. I have read about so many things that I am surprised the human race even exists anymore. Don't even get me started on the whole anti-bacterial issue. Sure washing your hands and dishes and doing laundry is all sanitary and good. There are things that should be sterile. However, do we really need all of these anti-bacterial chemicals introduced into our daily lives? Has it occured to anyone else that these very chemicals are why we are so ill as a society these days? Your immune system is much like your muscular system in that it needs a "workout" so to speak in order to work. If you never use your leg muscles then after a while you wouldn't be able to walk anymore. You would have to teach yourself to walk again. The same holds true for your immune system....provided your immune system has not been compromised due to illness. We live in a Catch 22 society where no body knows what's good or what's bad anymore. I for one would love to see high fructose corn syrup taken off the market and only have anti-bacterial products in places where it is truely needed. Then again, I would almost like to see them take Tomatoes away too, but that is just because the temptation is too great sometimes Just thought I would throw those thoughts out there. Hope everyone is having a good day. I am going to go fight temptation yet again and try to find something healthy for lunch.

Comment

Working...
          X