Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trishann
    replied
    Tracey I do agree with you that it might be a possibility what can cause IC for some people. I lived in a bad area so that means I went to a school that was not friendly. Most of the time I would hold my urine until I got home. But not always, I would wait until class began and then get permission to use the restroom. Sometimes I got that permission and sometimes I did not.

As for tea, ice tea, was the thing in my childhood. My parents couldn't afford soda and alot of treats. I absolutelyl love tea but now tea is my worst enemy. I can drink one glass of tea and my bladder will go panic. It is not worth the pain and agony to drink it.

As for childbirth, I did tear some and needed stitches. For over a year when I sit on a toilet to use the restroom, I thought I was given birth all over again. It did go away for awhile but came back with revenge. It was to the point I was afraid to urinate. When I did it was like an electric shock that went through my whole body. I remember as a child I would get dizzy and then the next thing I knew I was lying on the floor but wasn't able to move because the shock went through my body and it wouldn't let me move. This is the way it felt like when I urinate except without the dizziness. I had been shock before because I touched an ice box and a stove together which the stove was wired wrong, which in return I got shocked. This is the kind of shock I am talking about that goes through the whole body.

I don't know if the combination of these things trigger the IC or if it is a total different thing that happened. Everyone seems to have different stories and each one of us are different, so it is a possibilities things like this can trigger something in the body to make it to not work right. IC just seems to be so complication and so hard to determine what's up with it.

Leave a comment:

• Claredale
    replied
    Another thing to add. I didn't have much in the way of junk food either. We drank alot of water! My mom never allowed us to have soft drinks unless we had just cut the yard or something special like that. She was a nurse, and very health conscious. We ate good food for dinner and very rarely were we allowed to have snacks. Icecream from Diary Queen was our treat! For one thing, she didn't have the money to keep snacks in the house and I had a older brother that would eat them all if we did!

Leave a comment:

• Claredale
    replied
    I have had several of the above happen to me. I have had eczema since I was an infant, so that was autoimmune. I hurt my back in my early twenties. My doctor even looked into that when we were first going through the IC diagnosis stage. I experienced 2 long and hard childbirths. The 2nd one was definitely hard on me. That is when I first started having freq/urg at night during my pregnancy and especially right after.

Another thing that my pharmacist mentioned (his wife has IC). He asked me if he could ask me a personal question. He asked me if I would go along time without emptying my bladder when I was growing up. I found that to be a great question! I was an absolute "tomboy" while growing up. I played outside for hours, but I would NEVER go to the bathroom behind trees or at anyone else's house. I really don't remember going to the bathroom when I was in school. I would get to my house as fast as I could so I could go to the bathroom in my own house. My mom called it a shy bladder. If I spent the night at someone's house when I was growing up, I would not get up and go to the bathroom if it was quiet. Mainly because I didn't want anyone to hear me pee! I was even that way when I first got married (stupid I know) but I didn't want my hubby to know that I did that kind of thing! That mystery didn't last very long!!! LOL!

Good post!

T83

Leave a comment:

• n2fotography
    replied
    Originally posted by GoldSeals View Post
    There are some indications that a spinal cord injury could play a part.The nerves that control the bladder.This could cause a steady decline in bladder communication.So you see there are many possible causes to this condition.
    How many people have problems with their backs?
    GoldSeals
    Me. I have spondolythesis (sp?) and have had back surgery. 2 metal rods and six screws and a bone graft in my lower back.

Leave a comment:

• GoldSeals
    replied
    Recently I watched a video of a resection of the bladder which I posted on this site.Unfortunately the link didnt work.What Im trying to say is ,that the bladder is such a delicate piece of the anatomy, that its know wonder it even works at all.You have to really appreciate how technically, and miraculously its designed.
    It seems like just about anything could affect it.
    GoldSeals

Leave a comment:

• marsi4
    replied
    I believe that ic is an autoimmune disease that has nothing to do with diet or the system breaking down due to a toxic or chemical overload. I have had ic since I was a child and I believe that I may even have been born with it. All I know for sure is that I started experiencing symptoms since age 6, and can remember vividly. Although certain foods may further irritate and inflame the bladder, it is certain that food doesn't cause ic, and neither does a bad diet. I would really like to see more money and research done for IC, and doctors to start taking this disease more seriously because it is disabling and debilitating and I'm tired of doctors downplaying and ignoring this disease.
    As far as spinal and back trauma being a trigger for this disease, I would have to disagree. I have developed chronic lower back pain in the last two years after suffering with ic for 32 years. I think when you have had chronic pelvic pain for so long, it is normal that the pain will spread and affect the nerves and muscles in the area of the back that is interconnected with the bladder. I do think that recurrent infections may have been the cause for some, but for most of us I believe it is immunological.

Marsi4

Leave a comment:

• GoldSeals
    replied
    What ever the cause.One thing for certain is something is taking hold of the bladder, and destroying it.Could it be a chemical like benzine?Some soft drinks contain benzine.Why is it that in a normal person, the bladder seems to heal itself?After a certain age is reached in a persons life, could an unknown hormone be released that causes the bladder to start breaking down?I know that the answer is out there, and its probably right in front of our noses.The problem is that we need extraterestrial help to cure this.It goes to show you that the medical field is really just in its infancy.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    Hi ABliske,
    This disease is so frustrating ,that is for sure. I just saw my rheumy doctor and he also said IC is so baffling to the medical field, they literally have no clue on what IC is or what causes it. He said there are quite a few things they are thinking could be culprits, but they really do not know. The only thing they do know is that they are seeing many more women come down with this disease in the last few years.
    There are just so many possibilites. The only reason I still say autoimmune, is because it is our immune systems that control literally everything our bodies do really. If your sister has lupus, then there could be a connection there. They say that if any family members have any type of autoimmune disease, then there is always a better chance that other family members can possibly also present with an autoimmune disease, maybe not the same one, but any type.
    My rhuemy just took more blood from me today, but he really still cannot say for sure what is wrong with me. He said alot of people will have all these symptoms and sometimes for months or even years before the disease will even show itself. I guess for now it is the watch and wait thing. Maybe one day they will come up with some real answers for us, and more importantly, better help.
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• ABliske
    replied
    jen,
    I like how you put that there are (or could be) different possible causes. I don't know which I believe could have caused my IC. I had a severe bacterial infection before I got IC. However, my sister just got Lupus which makes me think it might be autoimmune.
    Interesting discussion.

Leave a comment:

• jen74
    replied
    I still think there could be alot of reasons for getting IC, but strongly believe it is immune related.
    I thought about the bacteria issues since a womans female anatomy is so close to the anal area which makes it easier for bacteria to cause a UTI, but then I thought, no because I never had a UTI up until 5 years ago when I had my first one ever and I was already 28 years old. You would think I would have had them before if that were the case.
    Now, that is where the immune thing comes in. If you develop any type of autoimmune disorder or even have a slight glitch in your immune system, this can set you up for a whole mess of things to go wrong.
    It also could be a bacteria that our medical field is just not knowledgable enough to know about or have yet to discover also. Or it could be a bacteria that everyone naturally has in the bladder, but when there is an autoimmune component behind it, then that bacteria can be harmful to the person.( meaning, in a healthy body, this bacteria is harmless, but when there is an immune disorder, the body looks at the bacteria as a invader and attacks and in turn we get severe pain in the bladder).
    Just a thought. I know there will be different reasons for everyone. Just like when a person has cancer, there is always usually a different cause for eveyone, ( i.e. genetics, enviormental, life styles, and sometimes it just happens).
    Jen

Leave a comment:

• megancolleen
    replied
    "My overall conclusion has been that IC in women is a result of bladder trauma/injury due to bacteria, pressure from uterus/rectum, childbirth trauma, medication, even intercourse trauma."

Interesting, CSI, but what about IC in children?

Leave a comment:

• sami4
    replied
    Jen

No, I was on the Macrobiotic method for about a year. It was just so hard to continue with it in our culture. With all the problems currently with the food chain it is starting to look like an interesting option? I do have to say I had more energy, slept better, felt better than at any time in my life.
    I would be surprised if they find a common link with all IC as they keep expanding the symptoms. Now they are thinking that what used to be simple overactive bladder is a form of IC. IC seems to be becoming a box for any and all pelvic and bladder pain syndromes.
    Yeah, Jen sounds like maybe some of your stuff could be weak genetic links? Sounds like you do all the right things for yourself ?
    Sammi

Leave a comment:

• GoldSeals
    replied
    There are some indications that a spinal cord injury could play a part.The nerves that control the bladder.This could cause a steady decline in bladder communication.So you see there are many possible causes to this condition.
    How many people have problems with their backs?
    GoldSeals

Leave a comment:

• CST
    replied
    Hi everyone,
    I think there's as many different reasons for the bladder to develop IC as there are people, although one thing does stand out and that's the majority are women. Not all, so that means there's something going on with men too, but just to concentrate for a moment on the women. I developed my symptoms after a kidney infection in which I was giving MASSIVE amounts of IV antiobiotic (macrodantin), which some docs feel does damage to the bladder lining. However, I was beginning to feel bladder frequency, pain, etc, prior to the kidney infection so I think I would have developed it anyway, although the antibiotic may have pushed it over the edge.

Also, with women, the bladder is so scrunched up between the uterus and rectum, it would seem that maybe our bladders are prone to more UTI, pressure from constipation problems (I have had bowel problems too over the years), and of course the short urethra allowing more bacteria chronically into the bladder than the longer male urethra. My overall conclusion has been that IC in women is a result of bladder trauma/injury due to bacteria, pressure from uterus/rectum, childbirth trauma, medication, even intercourse trauma. (the banging against the bladder in sex). Then the bladder becomes weakened and starts to shrink or scar, giving rise to frequency and pain. Mine is more of a mechanical/injury type theory rather than hormonal. Just a theory, but you can see that the female bladder is much more prone to trauma than the male due to female anatomy, etc. Of course it could be hormonal with women too, but I still tend to see the trauma/injury/bacteria issue as being a big part. Hormones affect the bladder function and play some part, but it might not be the whole thing.
    Just throwing some thoughts out there. It's frustrating because every story is different, or has a different angle. Yet it all led to the same place: bladder injury/inflammation/dysfunction. That's why I personally don't think they will ever be able to name ONE cause or reason for this. It'll have to be a case per case basis, with treatments geared to the specific patient. We all want the big reason for IC, yet there may be many many reasons for it.

Leave a comment:

• GoldSeals
    replied
    Common Link needs to be found

Originally posted by sami4 View Post
    I think the body finally just gets overloaded with too many toxic chemicals which we ingest from food over a long period of time. How many people do you know that drink numerous Cokes a day, snack on chemical stew of Fritos and so on? When the body undergoes changes such as hormonal, surgery or what ever, the added trauma gets to be too much and it starts to break down. The bladder is just a reservoir. I think thats why anti histamines work so well for a lot of ICers because the body produces histamines as a result of inflammations. Thats why diet can be so effective in helping IC symptoms, it limits the junk, and puts less stress on the digestive system.
    Surgery, infections such as chronic yeast and UTI's, cause nerve damage and pelvic floor disorders, low back issues also pinch nerves. When nerves are pinched they lose their blood supply, and begin to spasm. Hence, nerve pain that is shooting, spasming, tingling, burning. When hormonal levels start to fail all of this gets more intense.
    Everyones body responds to different thresholds of ability to fight off toxins, and everyones body metabolizes food differently.
    Just my musings.
    Until there is a common link found to everyone that has ic it will be difficult to find a cure.
    GoldSeals

Leave a comment:

Working...
X