Are allergies a possible link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are allergies a possible link?

Do you think that there may be a correlation with IC and allergies? I've read many posts, here, where people have mentioned their allergies. I know that when I was younger my allergies were terrible. I was allergic to: all grasses, all trees, most animals (cats being the worst), dust, mold, wheat, rye, oats, potatoes, tomatoes, corn...and still I've probably missed some. I took allergy shots for seven years. I began taking four shots a week but then gradually got down to one every two weeks. After that point I seemed to do fair with meds. Spring and summer were still very hard, though.

Last year I was having a really hard time with allergies so when I went back to my ENT Dr. they wanted me back on shots. Well, I began the shots but they started causing problems with my IC, so I discontinued them. I'd rather have stuffing breathing that more IC pain. I have had some cartilage removed from my nose since then, so that has helped some.

Do you guys think that there may be a correlation?

Mal

I really feel that allergies do have a big effect on IC. Matter of fact allergies are known triggers for IC patients. When allergies flare it also means that mast cells are being released (which is actually histamine) . Mast cells are found in many bladders of IC patients so in reality when allergies start it may not just cause nasal and other alergic reactions but also cause bladder flares.

Diane

Comment

Hi,
      During my recent research on IC I came across two books I bought from Amazon.com : To Wake in Tears - Understanding Interstitial Cystitis and Along the Healing Path - Recovering from IC, both by ********* ****** . These are written by an IC patient who has had success from alternative treatments. She discusses the allergy link in depth.
      Personally, I'm not ready for the holistic route quite yet, but I haven't ruled it out.
      The books are a good read.
      Sherry

(A note from ICNDonna - Neither the ICN, nor any other IC organization in the world, has recommended these books. They are one patient's opinion.. not backed by research. You can read our book review at:
      http://www.ic-network.com/bookclub/tears.html We recommend "The Interstitial Cystitis Survival guide" by Dr. Robert Moldwin as a more reliable option. My apologies .. but, for legal reasons, we must add this to any message posted on our boards which recommends this book.)
      "You can stand me up at the gates of Hell, but I Won't Back Down."
      -Tom Petty

Comment

Allergies, interesting....
        I have always had allergies too, got shots for about the same-- a little over five years. (Another thought, perhaps an additive in the shots? It would be intersting to see how many ICers had shots, allergy treatments, etc.) Anyway, while I hadnt ever linked the allergies to the IC, I did the medication. Because of my horrible allergies I had chronic sinusitis for about 5 years. When i was on antibiotics more than not I sought an EMT and he took ct scans and xrays...I had lots of sinus problems, and to make a long story short had sinus surgury 4 years ago that has worked wonders, I think i have since been on antibiotics maybe four times. However, During this whole process and still now I was taking Entex and now Duratuss- two prescription decongestants that I believe had something to do with my bladder. When I take my Duratuss (psudoephedrine and guifenisen) at night, I notice a problem but I would rather pee than wake up with a horid sinus headache!!! I guess the lesser of two ****s for me...but my belief is that as well as Nutra Sweet, for me, I chewed a pack of gum a DAY in high school and now if I LOOK at nutra sweet i run....
        maybe its chemicals all together? I for one, and I know this is odd, have never had a bladder infection......as many times as I have thought I did......UGh. Rachel
        @[email protected]
        "Well the Secret O'Life is enjoying the passage of time." ~James Taylor

Comment

Hi all:

Interesting - I had shots weekly for allergies for a little over a year when I was a teenager. As I got older, my allergies seemed to get better, though, so I thought that I outgrew them.

Lynne

Comment

When I was little, about 6 years old I had allergic reactions to just about everything. No one could figure out what did not give me hives. I also had my first bladder infection at that age.From that point on I took many antibiotics to supposedly cure upper respiratory infections. But, I think they were allergies not infections.I had my first symptoms of what I now know is IC at the age of 17 yrs old. But, only just diagnosed properly at the age of 45, just this year. I have had many allergic reactions, including environmental. So, for me I definitely think allergies are a link to IC.

Comment

When I was little, about 6 years old I had allergic reactions to just about everything. No one could figure out what did not give me hives. I also had my first bladder infection at that age.From that point on I took many antibiotics to supposedly cure upper respiratory infections. But, I think they were allergies not infections.I had my first symptoms of what I now know is IC at the age of 17 yrs old. But, only just diagnosed properly at the age of 45, just this year. I have had many allergic reactions, including environmental. So, for me I definitely think allergies are a link to IC.

Comment

I also have severe allergies (chemical and sinus) but have never had the allergy shots. For the last year or so, I've taken Benedryl fairly regularly because it seems to have the fewest chemicals in it, especially the ones I'm allergic to. Still have to resort to antibiotics periodically for sinus infections. Jo

Comment

Speaking of allergies and medications...I just realized something that I never really thought about. I had a UTI immediately before my IC symptoms began. Well, my Dr. prescribed me Bactrim in which I had a horrible allergic reaction to. Hmm, that almost makes me wonder if the allergic reaction had a part in setting off my IC symptoms.

This whole time, I've been convinced that I had the potential for IC but I figured it was probably the IVF and the other invasive procedures that I was going through that brought on my symptoms. Maybe it was a combination of the two, I don't know. It just seems weird that many of us with IC are so chemically and enviromentally sensitive. I wonder how many others had allergic reactions, immediately, before their IC symptoms began.

Comment

Geez,
                    Allergies, I have always been sensitive to perfumes, get rashes from deodorant soaps, and can't wear anything that is less that 95% cotton. My symptoms didn't start, which was gradual rather than sudden, until I started working with chemicals on a daily basis (as I am a pharmaceutical chemist). Geez, to think I could be allergic to my job!
                    Sherry
                    [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]
                    "You can stand me up at the gates of Hell, but I Won't Back Down."
                    -Tom Petty

Comment

I have bad allergies (I went into anaphalatic shock when getting allergy testing). It seems when my seasonal allergies get worse, my IC flares. Don't know if there is a direct correlation, but it certainly is suspect. I don't take anything for my allergies, it takes about five times the recommended doseage of any drug to even make a dent in them...
                      All obstacles in life are mere opportunities.

- Jesper Larson, Danish Mathematician

Comment

I'm a 29 year old male and i have had severe allergies my whole life. I can barely even go outside in spring time. My IC symptoms started late last March and i have been in almost constant pain ever since and have only been able to drink water(anything else hurts bad). I definitely think there is some correlation with allergies. I also since November have been breaking out in hives all the time.4 times i have had to go to emergency room for steroid and epinephrine shots.I have been to so many doctors i have been spinning out of control! I totally relate to hearing these stories.

Comment

Working...
                        X