Causes of IC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plechner Syndrome and IC?

Has anyone ever heard of this? There is a dr. plechner who is a veternarian who claims to have helped thousands of animals and now applies his theories to people claiming there is an imbalance between thryroid and adrenals (for example cats that have feline intersitial cystitis have small adrenals) that can cause many conditions including auto-immune diseases which perhaps IC is.
    I just started researching this a bit. Here is one link.

http://drplechner.com/article_dohavethissyndrome.php
    I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

I take cold FX which is just ginsing not sure what type at first sign of getting a cold and find it works really well for me, the trip is to take it at first sign.

As for gluten I have not eatten any since last Spet and found no difference in my IC, but I am sure that doesn't mean it won't help others.

A lot of herbs are medications, they just don't go through the strick testing that mainstream meds do. I am not saying they are not okay to use or have no value, but you will find lots of drugs started as herbs.

I am going to check out your link.

Thanks MG
      My are with you all. May you all find a way to peace and joy in your lives.

Comment

pelvic trauma

I am not sure if this causes IC but I know it definitely contributed to me going into a flare...

My first flare was when I was forced to do something sexually... I have had bladder pain ever since.

And my bladder went into a horrible flare after I had an internal ultrasound down...

That's just my thought on the subject.

Wizbe

Current Meds:
        1 Elmiron 100mg 3x a day
        1 Cimetidine 300mg 2x a day
        4 Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day (3600mg)
        1 - 2 Atarax 25mg at bedtime
        1 baclofen 10mg 3x a day as needed
        200mg of Pyridium 3x a day (usually do in cycles - on for a week or two as needed) - I am very careful about this.
        2 belladonna and opium suppositories as needed for pain daily.
        Bladder instillations (Lidocaine, Heparin, & Sodium Bicarbonate)

I have tried but failed -
        lidocaine instillations, heparin instillations, oxybutynin by mouth also called ditropan, tylenol 3s with coedine, cyclobenzaphrine, Ativan, vesicare, Oxytrol patches worked for 3 to 4 years and then failed, I tried Uracyst and had some success but my urologist felt that it was not successful so we moved on to trying something else. .
        [/I]

Comment

purple violet

interesting what you say about the thyroid

it seems many people that have IC also have Thyroid issues

that is the case for me

Comment

my first IC flare coincided with me coming off of effexor. i had never had a uti/infection of any sort until then and after it was pretty much consistent.

has anyone else found a linkage between their IC and medication change?

Comment

cokacola

Hey that's right ,
              For about 15 years I was a pepsi and Dr.pepper fan. Drank them the whole time I was at work. In my job< it was a constant run. So, I needed the (pick -me -up ) the whole. 9-12 hrs.
              The while off- duty, Lets just say it was frequent enough.
              Total acid affect.
              Probably at least contributed to the eventual I,C, Dx.

Blessing for you ,
              Lizzie_71

Comment

Interesting responses!

My IC started up in college when I was 22. I had lived a very healthy life before this with no soda, coffee, and mostly ate a reasonable diet with lots of exercise.

One thing I have in common with lots of IC sufferers is that I had a urinary tract infection at age 16 and never told my mother about it. Ashamed and confused, I did not know what it was. Having never treated it, it seemed to come and go as the bacteria were periodically killed off and repopulating in my bladder. It went on for at least a year.

Once I got to college, I went a little crazy with alcohol (as many students do), so that may have contributed as well.
                Diagnosed with IC 2002: started IC diet

Elmiron, Atarax, and Elavil started in 2003 stopped in 2005

PTNS tried in 2009 with no change in symptoms

DMSO tried in 2010-2011 with some increase in pain then some reduction of symptoms

Hydro in 2003 and 2007

Heparin cocktail instills from 2005 to 2010

Trying Uracyst starting November 2011 with some success

Remission 2014 - present but still using Uracyst every few months and mildly restricted diet (no tomato, vinegar, wine, or citrus)

Comment

me too

I had an infection at about 17 and only took only a few pills and did not finish the course of antibiotics and did not talk about it, so I probably let it fester for a year before getting more infections later. But a brother has it too so there is susceptiblility involved.
                  I got IC in 1970! I was not diagnosed until 1991. I've tried many drugs and therapies but I tend to only resort to drugs when in a flare because when I am not in a flare (from being good on diet), I suffer only from small bladder volume (like about 7 ozs.) and peeing will relieve the discomfort. When I am feeling relatively normal, I say to myself I am glad I am not on a drug. When I am in a flare, I say, why am I not on a drug! I've recently have been trying to solve my connective issue problems in general. I look to diet and herbs mostly unless it gets really bad. I still think there is great hope for each individual finding a path to healing and there are many.

Comment

I wouldn't blame your self if every person who didn't finish a course of ab's for a uti got this there would be a lot more people out there with it.

It is a bit of human nature to stop taking ab's when you feel better, especially when you don't understand the possible consequences, I don't mean IC I mean resistance, super bugs etc.

Yes it may have contributed to it which you will never know, but I think and I am not a medical professional it would have should up before now, as you said maybe you were predisposed.

In my family and all my relations I am the only own who has medical problems, some have little things, I for sure am the only own who has bladder problems. My son did as a small child but it was totally different thing and he out grew it.

Don't beat your self up on maybes, just learn to live with what you have now and find what works the best for you.

MG

Comment

I read my prescription wrong and took half the dose and realized this on the 7th day. Then I stored the antibiotic in my closet and took the rest 2 years later when I thought I had a uti. It went away, but showed up 2 years later as IC. This stupid decision haunts me all the time; I wish I knew I was playing with fire. This disease really needs a good marketing campaign.
                      Last edited by vanilla; 08-01-2011, 08:52 AM. Reason: I am taking Neurontin and feeling very spacey

Comment

New problem...new pain HELP

I haven't seen this on the post etc. I have read. So, can anyone relate? For about 2-3 months I've been having daily rectal pain. It;s not as severe as the recal spasms I had after my rectocele repair. But I'm wondering if this is related to the IC..... No obvious problems. Guess I'll see the PCP if there;s no common denominator.
                        lizzie_71

Comment

Yes I get this too, and so does a friend. Our Dr. said it is related to IC too, he had recently read about it.

MG

Comment

I used to get them also. Not often, but now and then at night.

Comment

For me, I know my IC is allergy/ozone and histamine related. Where I used to live everyone had asthma and bad allergies and we had code orange and code red ozone days during the super hot summer months, which always made my IC flare.

I have since moved way up north and I don't have hardly any IC problems at all. I may have a flare or two a year, but the air is cleaner, my allergies and asthma are not as bad and there are no code orange and never any code red ozone days like there were in the south.

My IC would flare in April and continue until it finally got cold enough for a few freezes in the south (which was a long time). Even my old doc down south used to say he had trouble keeping up with the amount of patients calling in pain during the hot, summer months when the ozone days were bad and allergies were bad.

There must be a mast cell/histamine relation to some people's IC.

Comment

Genetics?

I kinda think its genetics. My grandmother had bladder problems all her life. Doctors could never find out what was wrong with her. She was always on antibiotics for UTIs. Her urine always showed white blood cells. My great grandfather also had bladder problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X