IC and the Military Healthcare System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Military health care for IC

0650.......there ya go.......that should help you...suzanne's right in the middle of it all. Oh and by the way, I notice you are in Georgia...well if you are anywhere near Atlanta there are some great doctors in the area who are now doing specific GYN/IC care for women. It is wonderful. Two years ago I had to have major surgery for something not at all concerned with my IC and it was flaring so bad that my GYN fellow and my urologist who did specific treatment to get it under control and I have not had one flare up since then. I have turned off my neurostimulator and it is as if I was never diagnosed with IC. I am loving it. Am in the process of planning a vacation in Europe with my family for May too. Life is good. Hang in there.

Comment

I've had a good experience

I've had pretty good luck with the military health care system. Since I didn't like any of the doctors in the area we moved to a few years ago, I just dropped my blue cross/blue shield and I go to the clinic on base. None of the NPs or Doctors seem to be very familiar with IC but they have been really interested in what I have to say about it. They ask me questions about it and if I needed a referral for any issues with my IC I feel comfortable that they would help me out with that. Last time I went to my Gyno she asked me several questions and wanted to know about this website due to another patient she suspects has IC. I was happy that she was interested in learning more and helping this patient get the proper diagnosis.

I am able to manage my IC on my own with diet, aloe vera, etc. so I haven't needed care related to my IC while in the military health system. I do feel confident that I would be able to get what I needed should I have problems with a flare and need a certain prescription or referral, etc.
      Lisa
      Right now I am managing my IC with:

Diet
      Fem Dophilus daily
      Desert Harvest Aloe Vera for flares
      Jarrow Quercetin for flares
      Nature Made Melatonin to help me sleep if I need it
      Stress Management
      Yoga

I've tried:
      Cystoprotek & couldn't tolerate it

Comment

My husband is AD Navy and is in about 6 years now. I had terrible luck with the military Tricare Prime system. It almost caused me to die due to the sheer negligence. However, that is a whole other story. We love standard so much. It has truly been a blessing and literally a life saver for me. I get appointments and things taken care of so easily and quicky too. However, don't know how many of you are affected by this, but Tricare has recently cancelled payment and coverage of ALL compound medications. Which of course is the valium suppositories, baclofen suppositories and all instills for us all that use those. I am totally peeved about this!! As an understatement. The instills help me so much as do the suppositories. And I couldn't function without them(esp the instills). And now they're gone as of this month on the 24th, I believe. Anyone else going to be hit hard by this as well?
        For a cure...
        Take: Elmiron, baclofen, sanctura, instills, biotin, and uribel.

Comment

Originally posted by eeyorefan82 View Post
          My husband is AD Navy and is in about 6 years now. I had terrible luck with the military Tricare Prime system. It almost caused me to die due to the sheer negligence. However, that is a whole other story. We love standard so much. It has truly been a blessing and literally a life saver for me. I get appointments and things taken care of so easily and quicky too. However, don't know how many of you are affected by this, but Tricare has recently cancelled payment and coverage of ALL compound medications. Which of course is the valium suppositories, baclofen suppositories and all instills for us all that use those. I am totally peeved about this!! As an understatement. The instills help me so much as do the suppositories. And I couldn't function without them(esp the instills). And now they're gone as of this month on the 24th, I believe. Anyone else going to be hit hard by this as well?
          I don't know about the military system, but my insurance did not cover instillation supplies for home treatments, but they did cover instillations done in the doctor's office, which was more expensive for them. You might want to check that out to see if they would cover the more expensive treatments.

Donna
          Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
          Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
          Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
          [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Hi Eeyore,

Was express scripts covering your valium suppositories?
            Last edited by vanilla; 07-09-2013, 07:30 AM. Reason: reworded

Comment

Thanks Donna and no they didn't vanilla, I did have to pay about 70 dollars for a month supply of them on my own. But they were covering my instills. Now they aren't. So, going to have to figure out what to do. It is not an option for me to get them done in the office weekly(or daily like I am doing them now at home) as my uro will be and has been out of town for months now :/
              For a cure...

Comment

Express scripts was covering mine but I called the pharmacy yesterday and they said, as you did, not anymore. Although they gave me a website to checkout, protectmycompounds.com, I didn't because the suppositories will now cost me $ 25.00 for thirty, which I can still afford. I do my own instills and so far my heparin is covered but not the marcaine. I hope you find some resolutions. This disease truly s****, and it's expensive.

Comment

Yeah, even though we have Tricare this disease still costs a ton of money. I know I have it a lot better than most people, but this is making it hard. They are not covering my heparin anymore. That was the letter I got from Express Scripts, saying that ingredient in my instills was no longer covered. Which of course is the main ingredient. Total mess. Thanks for the well wishes and glad you are able to get your stuff still easily.
                  For a cure...

Comment

I just found out I haven't gotten my letter yet, so yes now I will be paying for heparin. Ain't life great. I did go to the website protectmycompounds.com and then clicked on the Tricare looking flag in the right hand corner. I think it allows you send emails to the people cutting our benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by vanilla View Post
                      I just found out I haven't gotten my letter yet, so yes now I will be paying for heparin. Ain't life great. I did go to the website protectmycompounds.com and then clicked on the Tricare looking flag in the right hand corner. I think it allows you send emails to the people cutting our benefits.
                      Awesome, thanks for letting me know that info. I want to let them know this is NOT cool to do this to us at all. And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glad you found out. I am not going to be able to afford them as my doctor had me taking them daily. What a mess huh?
                      For a cure...

Comment

Working...
                      X