Tell us the last thing you did to save money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us the last thing you did to save money

With the economy like it is, what with gas prices being so high, and money always seeming to be so tight for alot of people, I thought it would be interesting to hear what other people's penny pinching ideas are. So, tell me, what is the last thing you did to save money?

Mine was when I went to town with the kiddos this week, rather than stopping and getting them a snack and drink at a convience store, I brought along a small cooler with ice and kept drinks and cut up fruit and veggies along with dip for us in there for us. Since we were going to be gone a while, (pool, library, park, running errands, etc.) We munched on them off and on all day and it was much healthier and much cheaper than convience store fare.

So, tell me....what's the last thing you did to save money?
    I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
    The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

I shop at three to five different places to get my grocery/personal items for the week/month. I took off early yesterday morning before the heat of the day hit and after rush hour, and went to three stores plus a Pharmacy where I buy Prelief. Thus saving gas by doing my shopping all in one trip plus doing comparative price shopping. While at one grocery store, I bought several packages of meat/chicken/pork that were in the Manager's Special area. That is where the meat that is getting close to it's "best if used by" date is located and the prices are usually reduced to at least 1/2 price per pound. One of the stores I went to is a member's only bulk item store. There, I bought several items that, if I had bought at a regular grocery, would have cost at least 20 cents more per can for store brands and around $1.00 more per can for the name brand I bought in bulk.

Today, I have the job of wrapping all the meat I bought yesterday to put it in the freezer plus reorganizing my pantry so I am able to store the bulk items. The money I saved yesterday is well worth the work I will be doing today.
    Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
    http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
    http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

We live in the country and I've cut my trips to town to save on gas. And we combine trips --- if we have a doctor's appointment, we make a list and stop for groceries on the way home. And if I need just one item, I started walking to the little store a half mile away. Also, I just changed checking accounts so I can pay some bills on line with no charge for the service, thus saving postage.

And I never, ever pay full price for clothes. I wait for sales.

Donna
      Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
      Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
      Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
      [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

There's only two of us, and my stepson on weekends, but we do the bulk of our grocery shopping at the wholesale club. It's so gratifying to get a package of ground beef that's four times the size and only twice the price of the regular grocery store. When we get home, I divide the meats into meal-sized Ziplock bags and stock the freezer. Even milk, eggs and butter are such a bargain there!

We also have a garden and grow as many vegetables as we can. We have several meatless meals each month too: homemade macc and cheese or broccoli souffle.

Honestly, the most usual thing I do to save money is cut back on my meds. I skip the noon Elmiron, as long as I'm feeling okay, and make a script last a couple weeks longer. There are many meds I can't do this with, but I can with Elmiron and my pain meds during the summer when I always feel better.
        Last edited by Wolfe; 07-16-2008, 02:21 AM.

HUGS,
        July Wolfe

DIAGNOSES: (All in 1990 or before)
        All the "Fibro Five": Fibromyalgia, IC
        (but IBS, Endometriosis and CFS now all dormant).
        MEDS:
        Been on 100 mg. x3 Elmiron off and on for 17 years
        Tramadol (pain) 50 mg. every 6 hours
        Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) 800 mg. x2 daily
        Imipramine (generic for Tofranil) 50 mg.
        Tapering off Ambien
        Back on Estrace after 3 years off (thank God!)
        Am very faithful to Prelief

Comment

Originally posted by ICNDonna View Post
          We live in the country and I've cut my trips to town to save on gas. And we combine trips --- if we have a doctor's appointment, we make a list and stop for groceries on the way home. And if I need just one item, I started walking to the little store a half mile away. Also, I just changed checking accounts so I can pay some bills on line with no charge for the service, thus saving postage.

And I never, ever pay full price for clothes. I wait for sales.

Donna
          I like what Donna says never pay full price for clothes. wait for sales. NOw that I am on Ss Disability I understand that even more so. I did have to buy something for a wedding the pants were 50% the shirt was not on sale but I figured the pants I did good with. Vicky

Comment

I go to the grocery stores/wholesale clubs once a month-usually Saturdays-and I stack up on everything. The only things that I can't buy on a month basis is fresh fruit and milk. I usually pick them up on the way home- as there is no store within 15 miles from our house. (I like to say we live out in the Country but the city is coming out to us!)

Comment

Great idea for a post!

Hubby and I have started riding together pretty much every day. We work for the same company, but are just 5 minutes apart. So that leaves my SUV at home in the garage. I think on average, we are filling the tank on my SUV every 2 months now and just driving the Accord as much as possible.

Another good idea suggested by one of my neighbors is that several of us have plants that needed to be thinned out so we have swapped our perrineals and even a few bushes which meant I haven't bought a single plant this year. I have bags of extra monkey grass and ivy that I have given away as well.

I have never spent full price on any clothes since I wait for the end of the season sales to wear the next year. Same for hubby. So what if we are a year behind in our styles.

Now that most of my company's employees are all in the general area, most of the restaurants and fast food places give us a discount, so that helps tremendously. We have also discovered some of them have email mailing lists where they send coupons out. Lots of 2 for 1 meals whenever possible. I also shop for my veggies and fruit at the farmer's market on the way home now. We don't eat much at home since we don't fix dinner anymore. With hubby's stomach issues, I usually eat a bowl of cereal if I am hungry. Wwe are empty nesters, so it's just the two of us, so that makes a huge difference!

It's actually been kind of fun figuring out how to save money.

Looking forward to reading other people's ideas!

T83

Comment

This one will give all of you a laugh

We bought one of the Wahl hair cutting kits and since all the men are mostly cutting off all their hair in the summer time here. I cut my husband's hair thus saving 15.00 a month. To be truthful I am getting pretty good. A lot of his friends are asking who cuts his hair, they like it. I never agree to do that though. Also using smaller watt light bulbs saves quiet a bit in the rooms we hardly use. Like Donna said , we also get as many errands done in one trip rather than 3 or 4. It gets more tiresome on the days we go, but others are more restless.

JJ

Comment

I sucked it up and went to Aldi super market. I'd never been there before but I was pleasantly surprised. You have to bag your own groceries, but I walked out of there with a HUGE overflowing buggy full of food for 157.00!!! I was so tickled...then, after I unloaded all of that I decided to go to Dollar General for all my toiletry items like deodorant, toilet paper and walked out with laundry stuff, cleaners, and generic ibuprofen and tylenol for almost nothing. I figured I'd saved well over 100 dollars that day. The food will last a few weeks, the stuff I got at Dollar General will last all month...and many of the things I bought are name brand items, just SO much cheaper than at the grocery store.
                  *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                  *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                  *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

Don't mean to change the direction of this post. I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention about watching out for yourselves when you are out. I live in a pretty quiet town and my neighborhood is much like what I grew up in where neighbors watch out for each other, etc. But there has been some instances where lawnmowers and things being taken out of garages and sheds. Plus I know 2 women at my church that's purses were taken during our worship service Sunday night.

The ecomony is of course bringing out the sticky fingers in people that ordinarily would never do such a thing (I would hope).

Comment

We combine trips for things as much as possible. I also will do a lot of my shopping for gifts online during sales. I save money and gas that way and many times I wait for the free shipping.
                      Jolene

"Life is what happens when you are making other plans" John Lennon

IC diet cheat sheet....http://www.ic-network.com/diet/dietcheatsheet.html

Information for Patients can be found here.
                      http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Jen's tips for great IC sex..http://www.ic-network.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22522&highlight=jens+tips[/url]

Newbie Angel...I will be happy to answer any questions or just listen. Email me at [email protected]

"IC Angel Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you."

Comment

Jolene, you reminded me of something. I do almost all my gift shopping online. I save gas, time, energy, etc and can get the gift mailed to it's destination without shipping charges most times. I also get many of my books online so I don't have to make a trip to the book store. I love Amazon....they have EVERYTHING you could possibly think of. This week I was pondering a drive to the pet store that sells Frontline Plus tick/flea prevention for my dogs. I hate going there because it's just a hassle of a drive. I looked on Amazon and found what I was looking for for about 20 dollars less than what the local store would have charged me and about 30 dollars less than the vet!
                        *IC-- Summer 2004; PFD--October 2005
                        *Fibro--Fall 2000; CFS-- Fall 2000
                        *MPS--Fall 2000; Crohn's disease-- 1997*IBS,GERD, *Migraines, hypothyroidism, GYN problems *Degenerative Disc Disease/scoliosis

Total Abdominal Hysterectomy--adenomyosis--9\08

04/17/09 Crohn's disease almost killed me with a combo of extreme constipation from pain medications. My bowel ruptured, I almost died from peritonitis and spent several days in the ICU then more in a private room on the floor. If you have any questions about severe constipation from pain meds please don't hesitate to send me a message.

Comment

I have also found that I turn things off a lot more. If I am in the kitchen, I no longer leave the television on for background noise unless I know I'm going to go actually SIT within the next 5 minutes. (Love those new "curly" light bulbs! They never burn out, give great light, don't give off heat, and take less energy!)

I also discovered that as the day cools, I turn the air conditioning on just long enough to bring the house temp down to equal temperature, then turn it off, open all the windows and turn on the ceiling fans. Hubby works in heat all day and WANTS his air conditioning, but by a little sleight-of-hand, he hasn't even noticed that it isn't running!

HUGS,
                          July Wolfe

DIAGNOSES: (All in 1990 or before)
                          All the "Fibro Five": Fibromyalgia, IC
                          (but IBS, Endometriosis and CFS now all dormant).
                          MEDS:
                          Been on 100 mg. x3 Elmiron off and on for 17 years
                          Tramadol (pain) 50 mg. every 6 hours
                          Skelaxin (muscle relaxer) 800 mg. x2 daily
                          Imipramine (generic for Tofranil) 50 mg.
                          Tapering off Ambien
                          Back on Estrace after 3 years off (thank God!)
                          Am very faithful to Prelief

Comment

I turned off the "dry" feature on my dishwasher.

Donna
                            Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                            Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                            Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                            [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Where we live we somehow have a breeze most of the time, so when i am home long enough, usually on Sundays I open up all my windows for the better part of the day, then when it gets too hot I will turn on the A/C. Also when it comes to taking Emzy to the vet, I go a little out of the way, ( again living out here in the Country, so everything is in town) but its so worth it, as her shots, heartworm meds, etc are less than 1/2 price then they are at the Vets office.
                              My husband and I also drive into town each morning -- his job requires that he drives most of the day while my job is an office job. The only problem with that is if I have doctors appointments sometimes its a hassle, but with the gas prices here ($4.00 a gal- know its a lot higher in a lot of places but still).
                              When it comes to reading, I will go to the half-price bookstores as like the last time I went I bought 7 books for less than $20.00
                              Also a lot of times since we don't use a lot of dishes we wash them by hand, if I do put them in the dishwasher I turn off the dry cycle.

Comment

Working...
                              X