No announcement yet.

Tell us the last thing you did to save money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before going to a store or shopping online I ALWAYS check online bargain sharing websites for sales, coupons and promotional codes for online sales. Two of the sites I check are CouponCabin.com (you can search by store name for coupons and promotional codes) and GottaDeal.com (discussion forums here are full of good deals). There are many online sites you can check where people share bargain info. I've saved a great deal by consulting these websites before buying anything. I also have registered with online stores as well as regular "brick and mortar" stores and have given them an email address I use only for shopping and bargain hunting (no spam going to my regular email). I now am regularly notified of special sales, unadvertised sale prices and frequently receive coupons for 30, 40 or 50% off my next purchase. I save a ton using these coupons and online specials for my holiday shopping.
    Last edited by Annie2; 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM.
    Annie

IC
    Ulcerative Colitis and IBS
    Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Comment

I went to the 99 cent store and found pyridium (phenazopyridene) tablets under the brand name of Prodium, 30 tablets per box for 99 cents. They also had Miconazole Nitrate cream to treat yeast infections for seven days for the 99 cents. I stocked up. I love that store! Hope I am allowed to say that here! I have no personal connection to the store. I just love shopping there.warm regards, Mare

Comment

Did you check to see when they go out of date?
        Sharon

Shopping??? Did someone mention shopping? I'll get my hat... ;-)

Where I can be found most days.

Link to the ICN Patient Handbook:
        http://www.ic-network.com/handbook/

Link to the IC Diet:
        http://www.ic-network.com/diet/

IC Volunteers are not medical authorities nor do we offer medical advice. In all cases, we strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.

Comment

Hi Sharon,

The Prodium tablets have an expiration date of 07/09 and the Vaginal cream has an expiration date of 09/10. warm regards, Mare

Comment

there are sites where you can print coupons for OTC and rx medication.
            Laser cervical surgery after abnormal pap (moderate dysplasia) in 3/2004
            UTIs since mid 2004
            Recurrent yeast infections since mid 2005
            IC dx 3/2006
            V V dx 12/2006
            Other conditions: IBS, allergies, dry eyes.

Current IC medications:
            Elavil (since 12/06) 10 mg;
            Cysta Q (since 5/07)
            Rephresh acid jel every 3 days
            D-mannose, fish oil, Calcium Citrate, Multivitamins & garlic pills (sometimes)
            Probiotics Femdophilus or other brands
            Gy-Na-Tren for yeast infections (started using it as needed since 2010)
            Other Rx:Omeprazole 20mg; benadryl as needed, Restasis

Past Meds and why I stopped them:
            Elmiron: March to September 2006: headaches
            Lyrica:2 weeks in 2006: headaches
            Cystoprotek: from Jan to April 2007: nausea

Femcon Fe (2/07 to 10/07):caused spotting/bleeding
            BCP:Loestrin (since Ocotber 2007) to stop spotting for 2 months. V V worse. Stopped the pill in Nov 07.

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it"

Comment

This was a great thread so I thought we should "bump" it up so our newbies can contribute and learn some things as well.

Sandra

Not sure if I posted this saving tip before but, using the Grocery Game or Coupon Mom can be a terrific way to save money at the grocery stores and chain drugstores.

Anyone else have any tips???
              Link to the patient information, everything from What is IC? to Disability
              http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

American Urological Association Clinical Guideline
              Diagnosis and Treatment of Intersitial Cysitis/Painful Bladder Syndrom
              http://www.auanet.org/content/guidel...ent_ic-bps.pdf

Comment

I was reading this about insurance. Since we all have one or many chronic illnesses, I thought that this would be of interest to you guys.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...le.aspx?page=1
                -Cassie

21 year old female. Diagnosed as of November 2008 with onset of symptoms.

I am currently diagnosed with IC, PFD, endometriosis, asthma, and vulvodynia/contact dermititis, IBS, and fibromyalgia.

Medications:

IC:
                -Amitryptyline 10 mg

Fibromyalgia:
                -Neurontin (in place of lyrica because I can't afford it- lol) 300 mg x3 a day
                Flexeril. 10 mg. As needed.
                -
                Endometriosis:
                -Microgestrin.
                First laparoscopy showed moderate to severe endo

Comment

I keep forgetting to check http://www.internetdrugcoupons.com But, I checked today and they had discounts, coupons and rebates for several of my meds!:woohoo: Just wanted to remind other ICers to check that site frequently to make sure you are saving all you can on your meds.

When I checked today, I got the following coupons to save the these amounts: Lidoderm patches: $30 a month, Seroquel: free trial and $75 off 11 months, Estrogel : $20, Elmiron $35 for 4 months.

Hope this helps someone!
                  Last edited by amaranthe; 09-27-2010, 08:54 AM. Reason: added savings.
                  I am not a medical professional. I do not give medical advice. In all cases, I urge you to talk to your Dr. about your treatment options.

D/Xed 2003 with IC. Also have the co-existing condtions of VV, Vulvadynia, Lupus, Fibro, GERD, CPP, Endo, & Adhesions, and Depression

Meds: Estrogel (due to total Hyster)
                  The meds r/xed by my Pain Dr. from the Pain Clinic are as follows: Morphine ER and IR, Baclofen, and Lyrica and Seroquel (used off-label as a sleeping pill, but it also helps with depression)

(I listed my meds in case someone reading this has been told like so many ICers that Drs dont r/x pain meds for IC.) I want you to know that there ARE tons of us who are also dealing w/this disease and the pain and many of us ARE on pain meds.)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Comment

I have a four bedroom house with a TV in every room. I just found out that even when the TV is off it still is using electric current. I pulled out the electric cord on all of them except the one in our den. I don't know yet if it will help with my bill but should find out next month. I'm shopping now for Christmas gifts, looking at sales. I looked into my closet and found ways to up-date my cloths with scarfs, jewerly ETC. I bath & cut my two dogs nail now instead of taking them to the groomer. Every little thing helps. Hugs, Ziggy

Comment

anything that is plugged in draws electricity. you brought up a great point.
                      Coffee pott
                      Stove (even if its gas the time is electricial)
                      Toaster,
                      Microwave
                      tvs as you said
                      lamps
                      light lights
                      computers
                      fax and printers
                      stero's
                      basically anything with a plug.
                      'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Comment

Tigger_gal thank you for the list. I did not know the extent of items that continue to use electric current even if they are off. Hug, Ziggy

Comment

Great thread!
                          1. Goodwill, Target, Dollar Store, & Costco & buy generic!
                          2. Don't use the heater! We had fires and got free firewood all last winter.
                          3. Get son's immunization through the county at $15 a shot!
                          4. get prescriptions through the mail (I believe it save about $5- $15 a month - every bit helps.)
                          5. my husband cuts his hair, mine, and our son's
                          6. we eat mostly at home and make our own pizza dough in a breadmaker - just add the ingredients and it does everything
                          7. camp for vacation
                          8. don't use laundry dryer sheets and home dry clean clothes that need it
                          9. bring a lunch to work! wish I could convine my husband to do the same He eats at Taco Bell or Burger King a lot so it's not that pricey. He never gains a pound. I'm so jealous.
                          10. sorry, I don't buy many gifts. I will pretty much only do so for a kid b-day party. I love to give books. I still try to remember b-days and call or send a card.
                          11. have clothing exchange parties with friends
                          12. we had canceled cable for a while but now we have direct tv for $35 a month
                          13. no home phone

My sister has a family of 12 and she...
                          1. uses www.Grocerygame.com - You have to pay like $6 a month but she thinks it's worth it.
                          2. has garage sales often and sell things on e-bay
                          3. has made her own laundry soap (idea from the Duggers on tv)

Comment

Working...
                          X