Fmla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fmla

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but....

My friend has fibromyalgia and she has informed me that the Family Medical Leave Act will protect you if you are working fulltime (I dont' know about part-timers). There is a document that you and your doctor would fill out. This document basically states that you have a disease that will make u miss a few days of work and would not allow your company to fire you if you do miss work.

However, for a company to have this, they need to have more than 50 employees (idk if this is for fulltime or partime or altogether), and the individual (you) would need to work at least 1250 hours.

If you do work, you should talk to your human resource manager about this or research it on the web. Just wanting to help!
    -Cassie

21 year old female. Diagnosed as of November 2008 with onset of symptoms.

I am currently diagnosed with IC, PFD, endometriosis, asthma, and vulvodynia/contact dermititis, IBS, and fibromyalgia.

Medications:

IC:
    -Amitryptyline 10 mg

Fibromyalgia:
    -Neurontin (in place of lyrica because I can't afford it- lol) 300 mg x3 a day
    Flexeril. 10 mg. As needed.
    -
    Endometriosis:
    -Microgestrin.
    First laparoscopy showed moderate to severe endo

We have several members who have used the family leave option. It's a great option for anyone who needs to work, but also needs to take time for medical appointments, etc.

Donna
    Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
    Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

fmla

FMLA was a lifesaver for me. It lasted six months. DUring that time I was able to miss work without getting in trouble. When my ic got really bad and was put out on temp disability, I was able to maintain health care and only had to pay my bi weekly premium. However once it ends your job is able to terminate you

Comment

I had to use FMLA for 3 years in a row. The last 2 years I only worked part-time. So, the answer to whether you can still get FMLA and work part-time is yes. You basically have to have worked 1250 hours the previous year. That is what they go by. They have to hold your job and your pay but they can put you in a different position where you work. I went from being a Executive to the CAO to data entry but my pay remained the same. It was just miserable to me to do data entry because it is not what I like to do. Anyone that is curious about FMLA can look it up online. You can get a lot of questions answered that way. OH, by the way when you are on FMLA you can use it for individual days (just when you need it), or for weeks or months until it ends. It is very flexible.
        GO TO: IC-talkblogspot.com
        [B]CURRENT DIAGNOSES AND MEDICATIONS
        lumbar pain,depression,periphreal neuropathy,Insomnia,IBS
        for pain-tramadol ER 200 mgs (once a day),for break-thru pain-talwin(as needed),for periphreal nueropathy-Lyrica 150 mgs (3 times a day),for insomnia-ambien10mgs,for hot flashes- estradiol (estrogen),for IBS-Questran (one packet a day),for depression-paxil (80 mgs)=two 40 mgs a day

SURGERIES-
        *Bladder and Urethra removed (Radical Cystectomy)-August 2012
        *Vaginal Prolapse surgery, ovaries removed and Interstim removed 2012June 2012
        *Cauterization of the bladder lining-1992-i don't know the technical term
        *Bladder distension and cauterization-1992
        *Cystocopy-1992
        *Gallbladder removal-1995-gall stones
        *Hysterectomy-1998-still have ovaries
        *Interstim trial-2002
        *Interstim implant-2002
        *Trial pain pump did not work
        *spinal injections-2009 (once with 1 injection and a second time with 6 injections)

Comment

Yes, I have used FMLA. It secured by job (in a position of equal pay) and my benefits. However, there are a few loopholes for each employer so be sure to read carefully your employee manual. And yes, while it can secure your benefits and equal pay, please be aware that the employer can transer you to another position as a lateral move that retains your equal pay/benefits but may be a position that you do not desire!! But overall, FMLA for chronic illness patients or those caring for family members suffering from a chronic illness is a VERY good thing!

Comment

I have first hand experience with FMLA and what can happen if your job decides to get rid of you if you chose to use it. I filed for FMLA and only missed 3 days of work under the protection. My filing came very close (3 months) to my annual performance review date; I received a poor evaluation and was subsequently terminated for "Inability to meet performance standards". Mind you, I do not feel that my work performance changed at all other than accruing the absences. I went from a 3.8 on a 4.0 the previous year to a 1.86 this year. I was terminated on April 14 of this year. Now, I am with a new company and can not file for FMLA again until I have accrued the year of work with 1250 hours logged in. I would never tell someone not to use FMLA, but just be aware, some employers will find a way to terminate you if they feel the "whim".

Comment

Originally posted by is_there_peace View Post
              I would never tell someone not to use FMLA, but just be aware, some employers will find a way to terminate you if they feel the "whim".
              I have to agree that filing for FMLA may definitely put the employee on the employer's radar. Unfortunate but true.
              But hopefully at the same time makes the employer more aware of the legal apsects that may arise should they violate the employee rights afforded to them by FMLA, especially when dealing with an employee who has disabilities covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
              Last edited by Briza; 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM.

Comment

info about FMLA

Just an FYI for those interested in learning more about FMLA.... here is a link that gives much good info about it:

http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm

Comment

problems with health insurer or disability insurer

Hi Everyone,

I know from experience that there are often difficulties getting IC meds, regimens covered and of course we all know the cost of health insurance is way UP in the stratosphere...

Should any of you require legal assitance for these difficulties, there are ways.... Please post here if you need a hand getting the process started.

I cannot tell you what a relief it is to have ethical professionals helping me navigate this crazy healthcare system we have.

JSS

Comment

I just used FMLA when I had my cysto/hydro. I took "intermittant leave" only for three days anything after that would be considered "short term leave" as that was what I was told. FMLA had definately saved me in the past. I hate using all my sick time and this helps me not do that. Have a great day everybody!

Comment

I took FMLA leave for my hydro for a week. I just could not seem to recover from the anthesia! I just wanted to sleep sleep sleep! I now am on an "intermittant leave" as one of the other members stated. This allows me to miss work if I have a flare and my doctor fills out a paper, and my job is secure.
                      MEDICAL HISTORY
                      I.C. - Diagnosed February 2009
                      16 Kidney Stones October 2008 to Present
                      Generalized Anxiety Disorder - Diagnosed December 2005
                      Hypothyroidism - Diagnosed September 2002
                      Spondylolisthesis - Diagnosed September 2002

CURRENT TREATMENTS
                      Hydroxzine HCL - IC
                      Flexeril 10mg - Spasms
                      Naproxen - Back pain
                      Synthroid - Hypothyroidism
                      Lexapro 10mg - GAD
                      Sprintec 28

Comment

Originally posted by Jerzeygirl View Post
                        FMLA was a lifesaver for me. It lasted six months. DUring that time I was able to miss work without getting in trouble. When my ic got really bad and was put out on temp disability, I was able to maintain health care and only had to pay my bi weekly premium. However once it ends your job is able to terminate you
                        i used fmla for 20 years the last year I needed to use more then just for hydro I had to use intermittent fmla. I still had fmla left when I resigned however had not enought to work 9 months straight and have another hydro
                        I recommend all of those with IC call their HR depts to see if they qualifty for fmla = if so get paperwork signed by your md and have it on file .Never know when you may need it .
                        Google fmla read the clinton law and faq's regarding it
                        Yes part time people get fmla - no just full time total hours worked 1250 so means at new job you work a year before you qualify.
                        Watch what fmla time you use- keep your own calendar.
                        Ask to make sure if your employer and this is VERY important follows on fmla ruling each company sets their own rule on this- is fmla calendar- calendar year or rolling calendar year. Rolling calendar year is harder to get into a situatuion where you run out of fmla time. Yes if you run totally out of fmla time and need more time off then can fire you- that's the law period. VIcky

Comment

fmla

six months boy your company has good policy there- at my employer a hosp. after 5 months out on fmla your job goes up for bid and you no longer have a job. You have to bid on what is available- there was nothing I could do with my IC as bad as it was so I was forced to resign. that extra month would have made a difference in my getting a job I could do.

Comment

Originally posted by Briza View Post
                            I have to agree that filing for FMLA may definitely put the employee on the employer's radar. Unfortunate but true.
                            But hopefully at the same time makes the employer more aware of the legal apsects that may arise should they violate the employee rights afforded to them by FMLA, especially when dealing with an employee who has disabilities covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
                            good point Bri- as always . However from my case I learned hard way . FMLA and ADA two different things. You the employee MUST be the one to file for ada- your employer does not have to accomodate or make provisions for you if it is hardship to company or cost them money. FMLA federal law a given
                            You can still run out of fmla time and ada act wont prevent you from losing your job- otherwise I would still be employed. I have talked and had many legal consult- I don't stand a chance even with ada act.
                            I came to board tonight looking for you bri- looks like I found you. Vicky

Comment

Working...
                            X