This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White House appears ready to drop 'public option'

I didn't know where to put this and I hope it's not out of line. I'm not looking to start a political debate, but I know others on this board have expressed concern over the health care industry in the United States. This just makes me very angry. I've been turned down by 4 insurance companies because of my IC and other health conditions (all of which are under very good control) and I've been unable to find a job with health insurance because I'm going to school full time. I contacted Job and Family Services and they told me there was nothing they could do for me because I didn't have children, so I couldn't get on Medicaid. There are millions of uninsured in this country and the president just doesn't think it's a problem apparently.

By PHILIP ELLIOTT
    WASHINGTON – Apparently ready to abandon the idea, President Barack Obama's health secretary said Sunday a government alternative to private health insurance is "not the essential element" of the administration's health care overhaul.
    The White House indicated it could jettison the contentious public option and settle on insurance cooperatives as an acceptable alternative, a move embraced by some Republicans lawmakers who have strongly opposed the administration's approach so far.
    Officials from both political parties reached across the aisle in an effort to find compromises on proposals they left behind when they returned to their districts for an August recess. Obama has been pressing for the government to run a health insurance organization to help cover the nation's almost 50 million uninsured.
    Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said the White House would be open to co-ops instead of a government-run public option, a sign Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the must-win showdown.
    "I think there will be a competitor to private insurers," she said. "That's really the essential part, is you don't turn over the whole new marketplace to private insurance companies and trust them to do the right thing. We need some choices, we need some competition."
    Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Ala., said co-ops might be a politically acceptable alternative as "a step away from the government takeover of the health care system" that the GOP has assailed.
    Sen. Kent Conrad, D-N.D., chairman of the Senate's budget committee, pushed the co-op model as an alternative, saying it has worked in other business models.
    As proposed by Conrad, the co-ops would receive federal startup money, but then would operate independently of the government. They would have to maintain the same financial reserves that private companies are required to keep to handle unexpectedly high claims.
    Republicans say a public option would have unfair advantages that would drive private insurers out of business. Critics say co-ops would not be genuine public options for health insurance.
    Meanwhile, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, said he would return to the bargaining sessions to find a bipartisan solution to a health care problem that has long vexed Washington.
    "I'm always ready to go back to the bargaining table," Hatch said. "Heck, I've probably helped pass more bipartisan health care legislation than anybody I know."
    That legislation, however, seemed likely to strike end-of-life counseling sessions. Former Alaskan Gov. Sarah Palin has called the session "death panels," a label that has drawn rebuke from her fellow Republicans as well as Democrats.
    Even so, Sebelius said the proposal was likely to be dropped from the final bill.
    "We wanted to make sure doctors were reimbursed for that very important consultation if family members chose to make it, and instead it's been turned into this scare tactic and probably will be off the table," she said. "And that's not good news for the American public and not good news for family members."
    Sebelius spoke on CNN's "State of the Union" and ABC's "This Week." Shelby and Conrad appeared on "Fox News Sunday." Hatch was interviewed on "This Week."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090816/..._care_overhaul
    ~Ashley

I guess my question for anyone who reads this is, "what do we do?" Sure we could write to our representatives and I'm sure there's websites out there where you can sign a petition, but how likely is that to have any effect? There's been plenty of news about people protesting against the public option...makes me want to go down there myself, but I don't have the $$$ for that...
    ~Ashley

Comment

Hi LithEruiel,
      well probably the first thing is to not get too frustrated by the process as we don't need anymore stress in our lives. I've always been politically involved through out my life, sometimes more and sometimes less. Over the years I've learned to pick and choose my battles ( and I'm still learning). You may think that your one little eensy teensy lousy letter or signature(I'm being sarcastic hopefully in a gentle way here) will mean nothing but I do believe that not to be so...not when its added to 1000's of other signatures.You become part of the choir and boy there's nothing like a 1000 plus a 1000voices singing the same tune! And those websites? Yep plenty of 'em. and when we sign their petitions well, they in effect become our lobbyists for us! So, yeah the little things are important. They only become unimportant when we stop believing in them and practice using them. If not we might as well roll over and let them walk right through. If you want some connections to websites you can pm me as I not sure about the rules here in regards to that.
      kindest regards,
      Cynthia
      Initially diagnosed with IC July 2009.
      Officially diagnosed with IC/PFD February 2010.

Additional problems past and present:
      Hypothyroid, joint pain(fibromyalgia or arthritis), heart problems(so far in remission with this),pre total hysterctomy:severe endometriosis, ovarian cysts, cervical dysplasia,had intestinal obstruction due to adhesions. Allergies to Tetracycline, Bentyl and Bromocriptine. Skin allergy to latex, tomatoes and hard cheese.

Things that help my IC:
      IC diet
      Keeping stress(good or bad) to a minimum
      Percocet as needed
      Ativan as needed(rarely anymore!)
      Prelief
      Amitriptyline 20 mgs nightly

Physical therapy for PFD
      Things that didn't help or made it worse:
      Heparin Instillations
      Prosed
      Atarax
      Pyridium

Comment

Thank you Cynthia. I did sign a petition at one website and I'm writing to my congressman. I called his office before about this issue and got no help, but I'm trying again...
        ~Ashley

Comment

I'm sorry but, I do not want the gov to tell me who to see and when to see my doctor. If the treatment my doctor is giving me is not what fallows the GOV guidelines. I don't want our country being like Canada or Great Britain. Some people die before they get their treatments or the medication. We can not afford it. I k
          now what its like not having insurance. I did not have any when I had my son. I was in the hospital for 8 days. I do agree that the insurance comp. need to lower the cost. But GOV. needs to come up with a better plan.

DIAMIC65

Comment

I see what you mean, but I have no access to health insurance - I'm willing to pay for it if I could find a company to accept me, but I can't. The government option they were considering was just for those who wanted it, not for those who were fine with the insurance they already have. I have family in Great Britain and they're happy with National Health. If you don't have a life threatening condition, you may have to wait for surgery, but for life threatening conditions it's not like that - at least from what they tell me, I don't know what has happened to other people.
            ~Ashley

Comment

I hope that whatever we do, we'll do it thoughtfully & learning from the problems other nationalized health systems have. I certainly hope we won't plan to do it "wrong"!

I see our emergency rooms here crammed full of patients who don't really need an emergency room, they need a primary care doctor, but can't see one without insurance. This is not a good solution either.
              Kadi

-------------------------------------------------------------
              I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              ------------------------------------------------------

New favorite quote: "God gives us only what we can handle. Apparently God thinks I'm a bad-ass" ~Author Unknown
              Source - Pinterest
              "

Current treatments:
              -IC diet
              -Elavil 50mg at night
              -Continuous use birth control pills (4-5 periods/year)
              -Heparin/Marcaine/Sodium Bicarb home instills at night 3-4x per week, more often if needed
              -Pyridium if needed,
              -Pain medicine at bedtime daily, as needed during the day several times per week
              -Antibiotic when doing an instillation to prevent UTI
              -Colace & SmartFiber to treat chronic constipation from meds, Fleet enema as needed
              -Dye Free Benadryl 50 mg at bedtime
              -"Your Pace Yoga: Relieving Pelvic Pain" dvd, walking, treadmill at gym
              -Managing stress= VERY important!
              -Fur therapy: Hugging the cat!

Comment

Yeah, I agree Kadi.

Honestly though, when I had insurance I've been to the ER when I didn't need one because my primary doctor had no idea what was wrong with me and I couldn't get an appointment anywhere else without waiting for months! This is before I was diagnosed with IC and I was going crazy! The ER also didn't know what was wrong with me though, btw.
                ~Ashley

Comment

I tried to get healthcare insurance on my own with United Healthcare, and I would have had to have a rider written because of my IC even though I hardly ever go to the doctor anymore, and don't really take a lot of meds. They just saw IC and ran!!! I don't believe they even take the time to look at each individual case. Even if they don't do a public option they should at least work on changing the laws so that sick people can get insurance for a reasonable cost. There are so many things they could do to help. This is not something that we should jump into. It should be well planned and thought out. Not just to get votes!!!! It's our lives we are talking about here. There has to be a humanitarian side to it, but it's always about the almighty dollar isn't it really. Thankfully I'm on a plan here at work. I'm originally from Canada and I moved here 8 years ago, and the insurance stuff confused and scared me to no end. Both healthcare systems need work!!

Comment

Yeah, if they made it so private insurance companies had to accept people with preexisting conditions and cover those conditions, I could deal with that, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. The guaranteed issue health insurances are crap and don't cover prescriptions (sometimes they cover generics that you can already get a cheap price without insurance or they only do discount cards). They're expensive and you get very little benefit.

They also denied me because I have asthma, but I've had asthma since I was seven and I've NEVER had one full blown "asthma attack." I just use a non-steroid inhaler daily to prevent chest pain. I also have carpal tunnel, so I understand why they denied me (even though I don't require surgery or take any meds for it), but I also don't know what I'm supposed to do about it. Have children so I can get on Medicaid????? Doesn't seem like a good idea...
                    ~Ashley

Comment

I don't know what it should be done, I only know I have a terrible pain and I can't pay $1200 a month for pelvic floor therapy, I can't pay DMSO instillation , not even a Hydro, and this is without including Dr. appointments and medicine. My IC is progressive and it has been 3 yrs feeling how my bladder turns into a piece of raw meat.

I lost my insurance because I couldn’t pay $900 per month plus deductible and when try to switch to another insurance they asked the same amount due to my preexistent conditions.

These medical issues are not local but global. If you are sick and you don’t have lots of money nobody cares, you can only pray.

Comment

Please use these guidelines when posting about pending legislation.

It's okay to post that you have concerns about our health care system. What's NOT okay is to post negative comments on either side of the issue.

The place to comment on your opinions about what you'd like to see happen --- and what you don't want to see happen --- is in a letter to your congressional representatives.

I think we all know something needs to be done --- let's all just hope those we have elected to represent our wants and needs are able to come up with a solution that is equitable for everyone.

Donna
                        Stay safe

Elmiron Eye Disease Information Center - https://www.ic-network.com/elmiron-p...mation-center/
                        Elmiron Eye Disease Fact Sheet (Downloadable) - https://www.ic-network.com/wp-conten...nFactSheet.pdf

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
                        Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
                        [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

I'm sorry Landish. I wish there was something we could do. Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

I would like to try something new for my IC, but I can't even afford a doctor's appt (last time I went b/c I was having so much frequency I couldn't stand it and she talked to me for 5 mins and charged me $120!!!) I tried asking questions over the phone just to get some info, but the nurse told me she couldn't tell me anything without an appt because they didn't know if this was a new problem or not...I know it's my IC, not anything new. I know they have to be cautious, but what do they expect me to do?

I had to drop my COBRA because it was $564 a month.
                          ~Ashley

Comment

Sorry Donna.
                            ~Ashley

Comment

I live in Houston, ironically a city with huge hospitals that I can’t afford them

Comment

Working...
                              X