This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by champagne View Post
    Insurance companies are supposed to make money.
    Here is a sample. If there are five companies in the country that sell water (an item that you need for living) and they decided to put the same high price because they know that you need water, somebody has to stop them.
    The companies can have different types of profit. I think that the insurance companies have a way to much of a profit.
    They are not selling cars they are providing health and you don’t choose to be sick.

Comment

Very well put.

Not trying to argue with anyone - I know we all agree that health care is too expensive.
      ~Ashley

Comment

The thing is, cars or health, a corporation is under mandate to make profit for it's investors. An insurance company does not have anyone's best interest at heart, they are in business strictly to make money. And they are very good at that.

From my POV the best thing that could happen is to get private for profit insurance out of health care. But I don't see that happening.

Consider,..in the past two years the health care sector has dropped nearly one billion dollars towards lobbying efforts in Washington. President Obama received more than $2 million from the insurance and pharmaceutical sectors during his presidential campaign. Max Baucus was the top Democratic recipient of contributions from health insurers and drug makers the last four years. Baucus has taken a leading role in the reform debate, and he issued a "white paper" advocating the mandatory-coverage health care solution favored by major insurance companies.

Consumer Watchdog, formerly known as the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, says, "The amount of money pouring into Congress from the health-care sector raises questions about the independence of lawmakers as they consider dramatic changes to the health-care system."

Sheesh! Ya think? To me this is looking more & more like a stimulus package for the pharmaceutical and insurance companies at the expense of the American people. It's such a shame!

Vicki
        Last edited by VickiB; 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM. Reason: edited to shorten my rant
        "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Comment

Working...
        X