Live Disability Application Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Disability Application Journey

Hey guys... I figured I would start this thread to kind of keep up with things myself BUT ALSO to provide some insight on what the SS disability process is actually like. For years I have wondered what it would be like. Hoping this helps someone.

So so here’s the timeline so far:

February 2017: filed for FMLA. Declined because I only worked for my company 5 months, but was approved through the “accommodations management” HR office. (Aka: company recognizes I have an actual disability that limits my work and doesn’t want to get sued.) approved to miss 5 days a month. This amount was what my urologist and I came up with together.

July 2018: suddenly in the worst flare of my life. Used all PTO and FMLA time. Bit the bullet and called to speak to HR about short term disability. They forwarded me to Liberty Mutual who makes those decisions for them. After answering questions, providing doctor’s info and educating about my illness I was Approved on a monthly basis.

July 2018-January 2019: turns out this “worst flare of my life” is actually my new normal for the time being. Unable to return to work.

February 2019: applied for Long Term Disability and it was easier than any times I applied for short term. Answered a few short questions, updated doctor info. Was approved on the spot for up to 2 years of long term disability.

April 2019: long term disability comes with the stipulation that I MUST file for social security disability. I applied online and let my doctors know to please be very thorough and lengthy in their notes so that SS can understand my illness and limitations.

May 2019: phone call with scary SS lady who sounded very accusatory and not nice. I kept my chin up and answered all her questions.

May 15th 2019; application sent to medical review. Was told it could take up to 90 days. At this point had to provide proof of filing to Liberty Mutual.

May 22nd 2019: recurved a packet from medical review asking me what I can do and not do, how my life has changed, what medication I take etc. this was on my first application, but now they are wanting it again. Thankful I SAVED a copy of my first application so I can make sure both are saying the same thing. Do not want to have any doubt about my condition, pain and limitations.

May 31st: completed paperwork and faxed in to medical review. Now, the waiting game.

Will update ate as soon as the next step happens! Have any of you applied? Denied? Appealed? Approved?

What (sort of) helps me: Combo of Hydroxyzine, Phenergan, Vaginal Valium, Tramadol, Pelvic Floor Physical therapy, the IC diet, Hot Chamomile and Epsom salt baths, and REST.

What didn't help or made me worse: Myrbetriq, Pyridium, Uribel, Zofran, Elavil, Antibiotics and Muscle Relaxers.

You can call me KB! Clearly I was having a good IC day combined with a good hair and makeup day.

-KB

I hope you will be one for whom this goes through on the first application --- it should. Just remember that if the first request is denied (and many are), when it's approved the benefits will be retroactive to your first application.

Good luck!
    Donna
    Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
    Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
    [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

thanks for sharing this Please keep us updated. I was on short term disability for 18 weeks until doctors forced me back to work. I've been up and down since. I work and function but suffer. 50 mg of amitryptaline a nite to sleep and 25 mg hydroxazine. Getting sleep allows me to keep my sanity and work but living with this terrible pain is bad. I'e been back to work for 17 months now. Had a couple bad months back in march april and was getting very serious about bladder and prostate removal cause I was desperate. Pain management is now giving me tramadol and I'm also on cyclosporine for about 8 weeks now and I think I'm getting some relief. No perfect of course but I can keep fighting. I found an attorney who only does social security and he was real nice and honest. He said he could get my disabilitybecause of how much medical treatment I had even if a doctor would not say I was disabled. No doctor's were willing to say I was disabled. When I would ask them that they frowned at me like I was a scam artist trying to get free money. I spoke with a different attorney who does mainly long term disability insurance which that was an option that I have thru the company, and he said because I don't have a doctor saying I"m disabled "I got nothing". So I went back to work. It is tough. I gotta keep working. I have a family. The attorney who can get the ssi disability is also legally capped about how much they charge. I forgot it might be a month or 2 of what your social security disability would end up being. Not a bad option if they go thru all the hassles for you. If you can get it on your own that is fine too though.

Comment

Your first step needs to be finding a urologist or doctor who understands IC, believes in your pain and symptoms and is willing to support you in whatever you do!

What (sort of) helps me: Combo of Hydroxyzine, Phenergan, Vaginal Valium, Tramadol, Pelvic Floor Physical therapy, the IC diet, Hot Chamomile and Epsom salt baths, and REST.

What didn't help or made me worse: Myrbetriq, Pyridium, Uribel, Zofran, Elavil, Antibiotics and Muscle Relaxers.

You can call me KB! Clearly I was having a good IC day combined with a good hair and makeup day.

-KB

Comment

UPDATE:
          June 10th 2019:
          received letter in the mail stating that medical review did not receive the packet that I faxed to them back in May. (Yes. I sent it!) I re-filled it out and faxed it back again. I took photos of the paperwork the first time and I am so glad I did. It sort of feels like they want to see if I write the same thing both times etc. not sure, I might just be paranoid!

anyway, fax was sent again with identical paperwork. Will update as soon as I hear something else.

-KB

Comment

Update: September 2nd, 2019. Received Denial letter in the mail. Under medical evidence used as reasoning for denial my Urologist, GP and Psychiatrist appointments from June were listed.

is it possible that someone did not even read my entire 4 years of medical history? I was feeling a tad better depression-wise, yet the same IC-wise and PFD-wise in June. No doctor released me to work again. Wasn’t even spoken about.

i expected a denial, but this “evidence” has thrown me for a loop. I will most definitely appeal, but wondering how an appeal will be any different from the first application?

and my god this denial took MONTHS.

-KB

Comment

I'm so very sorry. I suspect that a lot of applicants get discouraged and give up. I hope you will be approved before too many denials. Don't give up!

Donna
              Stay safe

Have you checked the ICN Shop?
              Click on ICN Shop at the top of this page. You'll find Bladder Builder and Bladder Rest, both of which we are finding have excellent results.

Patient Help: http://www.ic-network.com/patientlinks.html

Sub-types https://www.ic-network.com/five-pote...markably-well/

Diet list: https://www.ic-network.com/interstitial-cystitis-diet/

AUA Guidelines: https://www.ic-network.com/aua-guide...tial-cystitis/

I am not a medical authority nor do I offer medical advice. In all cases, I strongly encourage you to discuss your medical treatment with your personal medical care provider. Only they can, and should, give medical recommendations to you.
              [3MG]

Anyone who says something is foolproof hasn't met a determined fool

Comment

Working...
              X